Inventing regulations.

Capt. Geoffrey Thorpe

Touchdown! Greaser!
Display Name

Display name:
Light and Sporty Guy
I find it amazing how frequently pilots feel the need to invent their own regulations because they think that whatever some random CFI told them in 1974 should have the force of law or something. And, when they can't find a regulation, of course they cite 91.13 if you are doing something they don't like. Like hand propping, not waiting until another aircraft clears the other end of the runway 5000 feet away, formation flying, whatever.

And, when they are really having problems getting it up, some even call the FSDO.

I have a friend who's going for his Commercial multi and his instructor doesn't seem to understand the aeronautical experience required. He insists that all the cross countries need to be VFR. No where in the regs does it say VFR. He's also a gold seal instructor.

Or the CFI who took me to task for not saying "traffic" in my radio call, as in "St Clair Traffic, Etc).

He says, You want to only address other aircraft, so you must use traffic in your call.

Well, no, I want anyone with a radio to know I'm landing -- the guy mowing the grass, the FBO guy about to close for the day, the landing light repairman about to drive onto the runway -- even the guy in town who has a radio and likes to come out and photo aircraft.

I have a friend who's going for his Commercial multi and his instructor doesn't seem to understand the aeronautical experience required. He insists that all the cross countries need to be VFR. No where in the regs does it say VFR. He's also a gold seal instructor.
It used to require that. I believe the regs have changed with respect to daytime. And as I recall it used to say "VFR Conditions" as opposed to "VFR" - one can operate IFR in VFR conditions.

That's because it USED to be a requirement for the x-countries to be done VFR.

The reason you can't find it now is that the FAA dropped it from the FARs around 2009/2010.

Your friend's instructor simply hasn't kept up with the changes.

It's human nature. The times when I was a USAF Stan Eval pilot I was always fighting the tendency to create new rules, especially creating rules that would keep you from violating the rules......

I find it amazing how frequently pilots feel the need to invent their own regulations because they think that whatever some random CFI told them in 1974 should have the force of law or something. And, when they can't find a regulation, of course they cite 91.13 if you are doing something they don't like. Like hand propping, not waiting until another aircraft clears the other end of the runway 5000 feet away, formation flying, whatever.

Not just pilots. Just yesterday a student told me his AME wouldn't let him take a medical exam because he's not 16 yet. I checked the regs, plus it says right on the FAA website in a layman's-style FAQ, there is no minimum age to get a medical.

Not just pilots. Just yesterday a student told me his AME wouldn't let him take a medical exam because he's not 16 yet. I checked the regs, plus it says right on the FAA website in a layman's-style FAQ, there is no minimum age to get a medical.
We had to talk to my AME when my son got his medical about a week before his 16th birthday, she was a little unsure about it, but when we explained he was going to solo on his birthday, she was fine.

Oh man, YouToob pilot videos are the best source of entertainment when it comes to dumbazz Earth-pounder complaints about reckless and dangerous behavior. Some of them even managed to google 91.13 and are throwing it in comments left and right to look like pros.
Gotta love dumb people arguing about something they don't understand but fear.
Now off to YouToob to get my fill of dumb talk!

Back