Introduction?

Joey4420

Pre-takeoff checklist
Display Name

Display name:
Joey4420
Not sure where I am supposed to put my introduction post, so I figured in the Pilot Training section since I am a student pilot.

If I am wrong please move the post and let me know.

New to the forum, and new to flying, just had my second official flight this past Saturday the 26th of November. I am learning in a Cessna C162 Skycatcher. Probably the most fun I have ever had.

A little background:

11 years Navy - 88-99 as an Aviation Maintenance Administrationman (paper pusher for Aircraft, Maintenance logs, logs & Records and the Technical publications, as well as trend Analysis).

10 years or so during all this time flying Radio Control airplanes and Helicopters.

The last 16 years in Telecommunications

Now that both of my children are off in College I am spending time doing things for myself.

The only reason going for sport pilot is so I can fly, then I plan to work toward my Private (I am color Deficient so making sure I can pass the medical is important to me, I also get migraines so having to stop taking several meds to make sure I can pass)

Any questions ask away.

Welcome! Never too late for learning to fly. Enjoy!

...The only reason going for sport pilot is so I can fly, then I plan to work toward my Private (I am color Deficient so making sure I can pass the medical is important to me, I also get migraines so having to stop taking several meds to make sure I can pass)

Any questions ask away.

Welcome. You probably already know this but, if you use a 'regular'(not sport only) CFI you can switch to Private cert. mid-training and not lose any time. (in case you find that your medical is not an issue).

Actually going to Sporty's Academy and my CFI is fully qualified. Thanks for the welcomes.

Sportys! I'm from Fairfield Ohio originally, out in Baltimore/DC now and have been about 10 years, was active duty Air Force for 6 and been a gov contractor since then. I'm actually looking to come out to Sportys to flight instruct around a year from now once I get my CFII. Welcome aboard.

Last edited:
Not sure where I am supposed to put my introduction post, so I figured in the Pilot Training section since I am a student pilot.

If I am wrong please move the post and let me know.

New to the forum, and new to flying, just had my second official flight this past Saturday the 26th of November. I am learning in a Cessna C162 Skycatcher. Probably the most fun I have ever had.

A little background:

11 years Navy - 88-99 as an Aviation Maintenance Administrationman (paper pusher for Aircraft, Maintenance logs, logs & Records and the Technical publications, as well as trend Analysis).

10 years or so during all this time flying Radio Control airplanes and Helicopters.

The last 16 years in Telecommunications

Now that both of my children are off in College I am spending time doing things for myself.

The only reason going for sport pilot is so I can fly, then I plan to work toward my Private (I am color Deficient so making sure I can pass the medical is important to me, I also get migraines so having to stop taking several meds to make sure I can pass)

Any questions ask away.

hey, Joey...welcome to POA. I also trained in and flew the Skycatcher until the FBO sold the plane a week or so ago. it's a very nice airplane and I'm sure you'll have a great time flying it. you'll find that a very easy hand will generally be all you'll need. curious as to your career in telecom. I spent the better part of 35-years working public safety radio...the last 28 or so in a regional 9-1-1 call center. been retired 11-years and change as of now. got the sport certificate back in 2013 after a 30-year layoff.

First solo was in the Skycatcher. Welcome!

Welcome! I was in the navy from 89-95. Where were you stationed? I was an avionics technician (AT) in VF-11 stationed at both Oceana and Miramar.

Congrats on starting flying. I'm sure you'll become as addicted as many of us.

Hi Joey, I'm at i69 fairly regularly, if you see my bright orange 172, please introduce yourself. I have a good friend based there and we're always looking for someone to talk airplanes, go flying, hamburger runs, etc. Welcome and good luck.

Welcome! I was in the navy from 89-95. Where were you stationed? I was an avionics technician (AT) in VF-11 stationed at both Oceana and Miramar.

Congrats on starting flying. I'm sure you'll become as addicted as many of us.

I was at Oceana as well VA-65, VF-43, AIMD then went to Little Creek for 4 years of fun at FIWC.

Hi Joey, I'm at i69 fairly regularly, if you see my bright orange 172, please introduce yourself. I have a good friend based there and we're always looking for someone to talk airplanes, go flying, hamburger runs, etc. Welcome and good luck.

I usually fly on Saturday mornings as that is my best available schedule, if I see a bright orange 172 I will make a point of an intro.

Thanks for all the welcomes to the forum.

Welcome @rk911 from another recovering telecom geek hiding out in IT playing sysadmin, and apparently as of today, flight instructor too.

Passed your CFI ride? Congrats. I know it's coming though, the long description of your ride lol. Congrats again Nate! You sound like you'll be an excellent CFI and ambassador of GA.

Passed your CFI ride? Congrats. I know it's coming though, the long description of your ride lol. Congrats again Nate! You sound like you'll be an excellent CFI and ambassador of GA.

Thanks for the kind words. The short and long version are posted in the Airport Bum thread. I won't take away from our new guy's telecom recovery thread here! Ha. There's a telecom twelve step program somewhere I'm sure...

Thanks for the kind words....

You're welcome Nate. I kid about your long posts (is he really kidding lol) but I can tell the sincerity you have for undertaking the CFI, and think you'll be a great one. Best of luck turning out future aviators.

You're welcome Nate. I kid about your long posts (is he really kidding lol) but I can tell the sincerity you have for undertaking the CFI, and think you'll be a great one. Best of luck turning out future aviators.

No worries. In the other thread you'll see that my DPE also recognized the personality type that leads to the long posts and said it was going to be my biggest challenge as an instructor!

"Less is more with you... shut up and let the student process their own performance a bit as you guide them through it. Don't do it for them [out loud] in the airplane. And that goes double for on the ground."

;)

Things you know about yourself, but you don't really think need changing... until you try to teach...

No worries. In the other thread you'll see that my DPE also recognized the personality type that leads to the long posts and said it was going to be my biggest challenge as an instructor!

"Less is more with you... shut up and let the student process their own performance a bit as you guide them through it. Don't do it for them [out loud] in the airplane. And that goes double for on the ground."

;)

Things you know about yourself, but you don't really think need changing... until you try to teach...

Ahh heck, **** that DPE! You're gonna be great I tell ya!

I can say this my CFI is very good in that he does a preflight, when do all the checks, we go out and he tells me what to do as we are flying around. Of course he told me I landed the plane on my first attempt (we all know that probably didn't happen). Then during my Post Flight he explains what we did and what we are going to do next week. So far it works well for me, but everyone learns different.

Back