Introduction

Priming the horizontal stab front spar tonight and try to pound some rivets.

Sent from my SM-P905V using Tapatalk

Another tip is to back rivet anything you can. Really sets the flush rivets nice. Don

I really like the Cleaveland Tool "Main Squeeze" manual squeezer. A pneumatic squeezer, while not a must have, is highly recommended especially for 1/8" rivets. A good swivel flush set and good technique wll produce riveting results on par with back riveting.

I found that pop-rivet dimple dies are great for hard-to-reach places. They use a standard finishing nail and a pull-rivet tool to make the dimple. You'll find over the course of the build that it's handy to have about 10 different bucking bars of all shapes and sizes. And yes, tungsten ones are the best, though $$$$$$$!

Good luck! It looks like you're well on your way.

If there is anyone on here in the south central PA or northeast MD area that wants to come over and critique or I mean look over my build and just BS over planes pm me for contact info.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Do you have an EAA Chapter nearby? That would be your best bet on finding a mentor. I'd also recommend posting this same question over on VAF-- much greater chance of finding folks willing to stop by.

Also if you don't know, EAA has dozens of how-to videos posted here: http://www.eaavideo.org/channel.aspx?ch=ch_hints

The Pneumatic squeezer is my favorite tool! I did fine without the DRDT2, looks like a nice tool but I got fairly proficient in moving the skin and wacking my dimpler with a hammer.

I just picked up a pneumatic squeezer with a longeron yoke from the yard store. And a pneumatic cleco tool, it looked novel. The wifey can use it

I just picked up a pneumatic squeezer with a longeron yoke from the yard store. And a pneumatic cleco tool, it looked novel. The wifey can use it

My wife was my riveting partner (when I needed one). She'd shoot while I bucked. That way I could control the quality of the shop head and it was quicker to teach her how to handle the gun vs. controlling the bucking bar. Regular cleco pliers for us though -- had a his and hers pair

Back