Introduction

Eduardo ferreira

Filing Flight Plan
Display Name

Display name:
Freewilie
Dear all

Apologies if I am inserting this post on the wrong place, but the forum is asking me to introduce myself

I am 46 of age, I live in Angola (Africa) and Portugal and recently a friend that has a skydiving school asked my assistance to purchase an airplane in a foreign country. After some due diligence and tons of YouTube videos, the idea of getting a private pilot license, own my own airplane and have fun at weekends flying all around Africa and if possible flying from Angola to Portugal - I am loving the idea

I am now in the process of finding a good school to start ASAP and see how it progresses from there.

So, i am still a little bit lost in my possible options, reason why I am joining the forum to learn with you all about everything I guess.

All the best
Eduardo

Welcome. That sounds like a wonderful idea!

Where are you going to get trained at? You could come to the US on a student visa and knock it all out very quickly.

I live in Angola (Africa) and Portugal ... the idea of getting a private pilot license,
Bom dia. If you have Portuguese citizenship you should get your private pilot license in Portugal. Portugal is a member of the European Union (EU) and the European Aviation Safety Agency (EASA) which will allow your new pilot license to be used in more countries. With an EASA pilot license you should be able to validate that license in Angola and other African countries.

A good place to read more information would by here:
https://www.anac.pt/vPT/Generico/Paginas/Homepage00.aspx

Boa sorte.

Dear all, thank you for the welcome

@Unit74, Angola, Portugal, US and South Africa are all possibilities. Costs are similar although Angola would be perfect because I live here so that would not conflict with my work obligations.

If not, both US and South Africa offer accelerated training programs (online ground instruction + 1 month of practical training). That suits my time restrictions. I assume the quality of those courses is similar to the regular ones since they all are regulated but as senior pilots what is your perception on these advanced training's? Will I create good foundations with that type of training?

@bell206, Boa noite e obrigado. I have both nationalities (PT + ANG). PT would be my preference if I could do an accelerated course or at my own pace within the period of 1 year (2 x 1 month)

I live in ANG 10 – 11 months per year and I am not aware of anybody leasing aircraft's, so I suppose I am limited to have to purchase my own aircraft thus I need to understand all costs associated with ownership and maintenance and if I can have here high-quality maintenance services.

I will soon visit the local aviation regulator to see if i can have some local guidance

Thanks in advance
Eduardo

I will soon visit the local aviation regulator to see if i can have some local guidance
De nada. Maybe ask if there are any flying clubs in Angola when you speak to the local CAA. It could provide a more direct path to your research. There are several clubs in South Africa from what I've been told and they have a social media presence, but don't know much in your part. I've been to Cabinda for a day and Luanda for a night one time. Maybe ask around the Luanda airport for more information?

Last edited:
Back