Introduction and Training Journey

Skates97

Pre-takeoff checklist
Display Name

Display name:
Skates97
I've been lurking around your forums for awhile so thought I should introduce myself. I'm Richard and live here in So Cal. I've wanted to fly for as long as I can remember and recently started lessons out at Chino (KCNO). I'm having the time of my life and have my phase check for my solo tomorrow. If that goes well, it should, I have a pre-solo check ride Sunday, and again if that goes well my solo next Wednesday.

I did start up a blog, mainly so that I can keep my family up to date, and writing about each flight gives me the chance to go back over it and analyze what I did right, what I did wrong, and what I need to study up and be ready to work on the next time up. If you're interested head on over and check it out. Feel free to offer up advice, encouragement, etc...

Here was a post from a few flights ago, it was fun. Some of it is going to be in very basic terms for you folks, but my intended audience is my family and some friends and the only one with flying experience is my dad who spent 20 years in the Air Force logging time in T-38's and C-130's.

More Landings and Playing Around at Ontario International

Another hot day of flying with the temperature at 95 degrees and the winds out of the West. Today we went up in the Cherokee 180 so it was nice to have a little more power than the 140's. I am comfortable talking with ground and the tower now, although I still stumble around and forget to include some things with my responses back to Air Traffic Control (ATC). Fortunately the folks in ATC are very patient and will continue to ask until they get back the response they are looking for.

I must say that the controllers at Chino (KCNO), Riverside (KRAL), and Ontario (KONT) are great! More on that shortly.

I requested a departure to the East and we were given clearance to take off. We made our crosswind and then turned downwind headed East toward KRAL. It was at that point that my CFI realized his iPad was on the fritz and he started trying to remember the ATIS frequency for Riverside from memory. I told him I had my Pilots Guide binder in my bag behind my seat but he fished around on the dial and found it. In the meantime I had made a turn to the South so we wouldn't end up in KRAL's airspace before contacting them. (He also got his iPad working again).

We listened to the ATIS info and I contacted Riverside requesting touch and go's. My CFI laughed at me as I had reported my location about two miles away from where I really was, which doesn't sound like much but when you are only about 5 miles away and flying about 110mph it can make a difference. The tower told us to enter on the downwind and report when there so we did. We were the only ones in the pattern at the time so we came around for the touch and go. My landings are getting progressively better and I am doing much better staying on glide path and using throttle to make my corrections to rate of descent while maintaining the proper speed.

We did the touch and go and were given "right closed traffic" so made our turn to the right and came around the pattern for another touch and go. The winds were from 270 degrees at 19 knots which was perfect for the active runway, 27. We turned to final and there was a helicopter that contacted the tower. The tower informed them of the "Cherokee on final (us)" and to "Maintain separation." The helicopter informed the tower that he "had the traffic (us) in sight" and would maintain separation. As our ground speed was fairly slow given the 19 knot headwind and our airspeed on final, the helicopter was actually overtaking us. This resulted in my CFI saying "You could get passed by a helicopter" and a friendly jab over the airwaves at us that was all in good fun.

My CFI said the other day he was out here at KRAL and they were the only ones in the pattern so they were doing touch and go's in a figure eight pattern, first on runway 27, then turning to the left and coming around on runway 34, then turning to the right and back to 27. He said he recognized the controller as the same guy from the other day and said he was going to request runway 34 to get me a crosswind landing.

CFI: "Riverside tower, Cherokee 9514J, can we get runway 34 after this touch and go?"
Tower: "14J, you know winds are 270 at 19?"
CFI: "Yes, we'll give it a try."
Tower: "14J, cleared for touch and go on runway 34."
CFI: "Cleared for touch and go, runway 34, 14J."

We made the touch and go on 27, banked to the left and came around for the crosswind landing on 34. I crabbed in and touched down right on the centerline and then we were off again. My CFI said, "Great job, that was a 19 knot crosswind at about 90 degrees and you put it right down the middle." I must admit that I was nervous about trying a crosswind landing but the Cherokee handled it well.

Next we were off to Ontario and that made me nervous. I hadn't been to a big airport yet, and Ontario, while still a Class C airport, gets airliners, cargo planes, and all sorts of traffic. My CFI handed me his iPad with Foreflight running on it and said "Check your position, call into the tower and ask for touch and go's." (My mind went me? Those are the big boys over there. But he wasn't giving me an option so I got my position and made the radio call.) I have to say that the folks in the tower at KONT are super cool. What we did next I can only describe as "Playing around on the runways at Ontario." Keep in mind that we are just a little Cherokee 180 and they have other big traffic coming and going. You will see that yes, they are super cool in the tower and willing to let the little kid play on their playground.

We were given a straight in on runway 26R which surprised my CFI as that is the runway closest to the terminal and he said usually they bring the airlines in there and keep folks like us over on 26L. My CFI said "Just be ready because they may have us shift over to 26L", but they didn't and we touched down on 26R and took off again with right closed traffic. As we were coming downwind to our base turn there was a "UPS Heavy" that had landed on 26L and another big plane take off from 26L so we were advised caution for wake turbulence. However, by the time we came around and were on final enough time had passed that we didn't have to worry. As we were on base my CFI asked the tower if after we did our touch and go, if we could be cleared for a landing on 8R for a simulated engine failure. The tower quickly gave clearance (did I mention those guys are cool?) and after touching down and beginning our climb out my CFI said that we were going to have an engine failure about the time we would be making our turn to crosswind, 500 ft above ground level (AGL).

We reached that point and as I got ready to start my turn, my CFI pulled the power and said "You just lost your engine." He then talked me through it, nose over to keep your speed, watch your bank, stay coordinated, keep the turn coming, watch your speed, over the runway and straighten out... We settled down about halfway down the very long (10,200') runway and then full power and back up in the air. The winds were 18 knots at 260 degrees so that helped a lot in making the turn.

As we were climbing out my CFI asked the tower if we could make a turn and come right back for a teardrop entry to 26L for one more touch and go. Again the tower gave the clearance. After we were back at Chino I told him I was amazed that Ontario let us do all those things. He said that he has almost always received clearance from the folks in the tower there to do whatever he asked for. Like I said earlier, ATC at Ontario is awesome, and the only way I can describe it is that we got to play around on their runways.

Anyway, back to the flight, we were heading for Chino and I called in for a landing and complete stop. The tower gave me clearance for 26R, but then my CFI had one more idea. He told me to call in and ask instead for a touch and go and then a landing on runway 3 for a simulated engine failure. ATC replied with something, which I didn't catch, I looked at my CFI and he said "Just say 14J" which I did and then asked him "What did he say?" He said the tower was basically taking it under advisement and they eventually came back with the clearance.

We made the touch and go and started climbing out. The winds were 13 knots at 260 degrees. We got about 500' AGL and he said "You just lost your engine" and pulled the power. Same procedure as at KONT, watch the airspeed, keep my turn, stay coordinated. This time with the wind coming at an angle to runway 3 we didn't have it pushing us straight down the runway, but it was very evident as we came around that we were being pushed along. I settled it down fairly close to the centerline and we slowed down and turned onto the taxiway. I contacted ground and got the taxi clearance and we headed back to the hanger.

The flight was a blast! One crosswind landing, one with a tailwind, one with a quartering tailwind, and my first experience talking with ATC and landing at a Class C airport. I was making the radio calls, except when my CFI started wanting to do the oddball landings at which point he took over the radios and I just flew the plane. Still a long way to go on my radio calls, but they are getting better all the time.

Next up, I have to memorize the Emergency Procedures Check Lists, some more radio work, and get ready to solo.

I read it,,, twice,, Ive been following you over on MooneySpace since you started.... Im MPG over there.

I also follow SamariHusky.

And over on CherokeeChat I followed OldRockFan through his training,
check rides and his PPL.
Next I followed his search and purchase of his own Cherokee.

I spent 4 months in 1978 getting my license, was active for about 11 years, then quit.
So I dont own, I dont fly, but I live vicariously through others.

Last edited:
Sounds like fun. I had a similar experience as a student, at San Jose. Not all Class Cs are the same. Fresno can be a beehive, while Monterey could probably be Class E and still be sleepy.

It's a bit odd your instructor didn't have any backup for his iPad. He should know better. Good thing you did, in case his memory was faulty.

Last edited:
Fun, productive flight. Suggestion, have the ATIS and Tower frequencies for your planned flight written down and easily accessible, like on a knee pad. That gives you more "head out of the cockpit" time and less looking around in the cockpit for stuff time.

I read it,,, twice,, Ive been following you over on MooneySpace since you started.... Im MPG over there.

I also follow SamariHusky.

And over on CherokeeChat I followed OldRockFan through his training,
check rides and his PPL.
Next I followed his search and purchase of his own Cherokee.

I spent 4 months in 1978 getting my license, was active for about 11 years, then quit.
So I dont own, I dont fly, but I live vicariously through others.

I have some sisters that are living vicariously through my posts and a father that is reliving his flight training from 50 years ago with me when I talk to him about my flights. It's been fun.

SamariHusky has been fun to follow over there, quite the journey he's been on.

Fun, productive flight. Suggestion, have the ATIS and Tower frequencies for your planned flight written down and easily accessible, like on a knee pad. That gives you more "head out of the cockpit" time and less looking around in the cockpit for stuff time.

Yep, after I got home that day I put the ATIS/Tower/Ground frequencies for all the local airports on a 3x5 card that I keep in my shirt pocket for easy reference.

Yeah I agree with ya, too long to read, but welcome regardless.

Thanks for the welcome. It was a long post... :)

Yep, after I got home that day I put the ATIS/Tower/Ground frequencies for all the local airports on a 3x5 card that I keep in my shirt pocket for easy reference.
When I was a student, I put all the local tower, ground, and wx frequencies on the checklist I had made. Later, when I graduated to constant speed props, I replaced them with some favorite power/prop settings.

The important thing is to have a backup, and the blue binder is a useful, if heavy and relatively expensive, choice.

Pre-Solo Phase Check today. For those looking for the "Reader's Digest" version, it went very well. Tomorrow is my pre-solo check ride with a different CFI and if he signs off I will solo on Wednesday.

If anyone wants the full version is is here: http://intothesky.us/2016/07/02/pre-solo-phase-check/

Saw this beauty take off just before us.
P-51.jpg

Welcome to POA!

Good write up and looking forward to reading the blog. I have kept a blog since I started flying and I really enjoy typing it all out. It's an easy way to recall the flights and the vacation fun.

Welcome to POA!

Good write up and looking forward to reading the blog. I have kept a blog since I started flying and I really enjoy typing it all out. It's an easy way to recall the flights and the vacation fun.

Thanks, I like the way you have your blog set up with the pages for states/airports visited, flight maps, and your link to flight aware with your flights. I really like the planned trips. My wife has already started compiling a list and I have one of my own. We'll be talking about someplace we want to go and one of us will say "Hey, after we get our plane we can fly there." I'll have to add some things to my site as I move along. Enjoyed reading some of your posts.

Wow!! Sooo cool for you,, I tear up a little when I read of an accomplishment like this for a young guy like you.
It really does seem like a major milestone.
I did it in 1978 when I was 25,, Flight training was much less structured way back then.
My CFI didnt even bother to cut off my shirt tail,,, I hope yours did!

Congrats!!!!

Congrats.

Just so you know, you didn't need to tell Tower you were on a first solo. They figure it out very easily. It's obvious when someone drops off an instructor and the same voice taxis right back out just a minute of two later.

Congrats.

Just so you know, you didn't need to tell Tower you were on a first solo. They figure it out very easily. It's obvious when someone drops off an instructor and the same voice taxis right back out just a minute of two later.

Eh nothing wrong with telling the tower that IMO. And I was a controller, and CFI.

Congrats.

I figured as much, not to mention that I was right at the base of the tower when he hopped out with a handheld radio and stayed outside near the base of the tower. But, CFI told me to let the tower know.

I figured as much, not to mention that I was right at the base of the tower when he hopped out with a handheld radio and stayed outside near the base of the tower. But, CFI told me to let the tower know.

he will put a negative spin on just about anything anyone on this forum says, pay no attention. you did the right thing, even if your cfi didn't tell you to do it, it was better to provide more information than less. congrats!

Lol internet forums are always filled with type A personaltities...you will learn quickly who is here to help and who comes here just to toot their own horn...congrats on all the accomplishments thus far!

Nice!

I wouldn't suggest going up to Lancaster on a summer afternoon. It's a nice wide runway, but the winds howl. It's better in the morning, especially early. You also have to get there across the mountains.

It IS a good place to practice winds with an instructor, and they even have a Warrior with a real ugly red interior for you to rent.

Yes, I will have to get to the high desert at a later date when I am able to go first thing in the morning.

Congrats on your first solo and the XCs! I did my BFR at Chino last October at DuBois Aviation, and I'm guessing you are using the same flight school. I had Matt Boyko as my CFI...good guy. He threw a lot at me in a short period of time, and I'm a better pilot for the experience.

As another poster mentioned, it's a great idea to fly in the morning if you're going up the the high desert. I did 40 hours up around Barstow/Victorville/Johnson Valley during my Phase 1 period, and it can get nasty bumpy in the afternoon. I had some wild rides down the Cajon Pass!! So in subsequent flights (weather permitting), I'd launch at about 7:30-8 a.m. and be back before 11. Apple Valley is a great place to practice landings/touch and goes, but the density altitude can get very high, so pay attention to proper leaning procedures.

Also, do you use a kneeboard? They're a really handy place for commonly used frequencies, etc. I always make a little "cheat sheet" for a particular trip with frequencies, runway orientation, traffic pattern altitude, and maybe a heading or two from a waypoint. Mine's pretty minimal...I cut a standard aluminum one down to just the width of my thigh, so it doesn't get in the way at all.

Last edited:
Thanks, yes I'm out at DuBois. I looked at all the Orange County schools and also at Corona Muni and settled on DuBois at Chino. I've been very happy with them, well run school, nice planes and lots of them, and my instructor Brandin is great. Looks like Matt isn't there any more. From their instructors page says he's moved on and is flying a Turbo Commander 360.

Yes I have a kneeboard. I have a Excel sheet I found online and then added a column to it for frequencies. You fill everything in, as much or as little as you want, then fold it along the bold lines and it fits my kneeboard. I can just put in everything except the wind and save it for future use. Then the day of I look at the wind forecast for my altitudes, plug it in, then print it out. I also use Droid EFB on a Samsung tablet but keep a printed copy of my flight plan on my kneeboard for backup. For my solo XC's my CFI doesn't care if I use the tablet with GPS, but when we have done our XC together if I want to use the tablet I have to turn the GPS off so that I am navigating with headings, times, and visual way points. I've had to pull out the paper maps in flight as well to show that I can use them. (Once I had forgotten to fold my TAC to the right section before the flight. I had the thing spread almost all the way across the cockpit to show him where we were on it... Good times trying to unfold it with one hand while keeping the other on the yoke. I always pre-fold to the area I will be flying in now.)

Doesn't look like I'll be going to the high desert any time soon. I did fly to Thermal for my night XC on Wednesday and it was a little bumpy through that short pass between Banning and Palm Springs. I fly to Palomar again tomorrow for my third XC solo and then my long XC solo is Sunday to Camarillo and Santa Barbara. I'm looking forward to it, it should be a beautiful flight.

Attachments

• VFR-KCNO to KCRQ.pdf
    124.9 KB · Views: 6
I'm glad you're having a good experience at DuBois. I did my initial training at John Wayne (Sunrise Aviation). Pricey, but very, very thorough, and they put you in a Citabria for spin recovery. Fun! Funny thing is, I had some apprehension about nontowered fields (I'm at Cable now) since I learned landing alongside jets and making clearance calls.

I use my GPS most of the time (GRT EFIS and a back-up iFly 520), but I really do like to have a paper sectional and/or TAC too. Old habits die hard!

BTW, that was the hardest part of my check ride....fumbling with that durn map!!

I'm glad you're having a good experience at DuBois. I did my initial training at John Wayne (Sunrise Aviation). Pricey, but very, very thorough, and they put you in a Citabria for spin recovery. Fun! Funny thing is, I had some apprehension about nontowered fields (I'm at Cable now) since I learned landing alongside jets and making clearance calls.

I use my GPS most of the time (GRT EFIS and a back-up iFly 520), but I really do like to have a paper sectional and/or TAC too. Old habits die hard!

BTW, that was the hardest part of my check ride....fumbling with that durn map!!

I enjoy the paper maps, but then I grew up as the navigator for our long family trips across the country (PA to AK, UT to NJ, as well as other shorter trips) and that was a long time before anyone even thought of GPS...

I'm glad I'm learning at a busy towered field like CNO as well as talking to SOCAL Approach on all my XC flights. It's great experience. I understand the apprehension about the nontowered field. I was comfortable on the radios with the tower but you should have heard me the first time we went to AJO and I was trying to do the radio calls. My CFI was laughing at me because I was mixing up the order I should have been saying things.

It's funny you mention AJO, because that was my first nontowered field landing since 2006, when I took my initial training. My CFI at DuBois told me to land there, so I fumbled with the chart, found the CTAF and announced that I was entering on the 45. Then someone piped up in a largely unintelligible position call where all we heard was "....Corona" at the end. My CFI said, "Dude, I didn't hear a word of what you said!" So I was freaking a little, not knowing where this guy was relative to us. So my CFI said, "Just fly the pattern, continue your position calls and keep your eyes open." Mumbles made another call, and we could just make out that he was on short final. That was a bit of an "Aha!" moment for me.

Chino can get rather busy. One time, on a Monday no less, I'm over Corona coming back to the airport and the controller was talking nonstop--sounded like he was dealing with about seven aircraft--and I'm looking to time my call so I don't step on anybody. I finally squeak it in, rushing a little so I don't chew up any more frequency time than necessary, and the controller says, "Circle outside our airspace and call me back in five minutes." This is where I have come to appreciate nontowered fields!

The controllers at Chino are great, if somewhat overworked at times.

I have heard AJO referred to as the "Wild West" a few times accounting to the calls or lack there of that take place there. It is a nice little airport and after I get my PPL and a plane I may end up keeping it there. I would love to keep it at CNO, both are about 20-25 min from my house in Yorba Linda, but the chances of getting a hangar at AJO are much better than at CNO.

I agree the controllers at Chino are excellent. They are on top of their game, friendly, and helpful. Most Saturdays they end up splitting the tower with one frequency for 26R and one for 26L because it gets so busy.

Nice write up, the pictures really add to the story. You're really rolling through your training quickly.

Side note, is it a California thing that you call roads 'the' . I live on the east coast, I've never heard anyone saying 'take the 95 north to ... ' we'd just say take 95, or take i-95.

Actually it is a 'Southern' California thing. This is the only place I've heard the freeway's referred to as 'the' whatever number. When I moved here from Arizona almost 14 years ago I don't recall hearing roads referred to that way there, but when that is all you hear on the news or the traffic reports on the radio eventually you pick up the same speech patterns. (Similar to the two years I lived in Alabama and despite intentions to never say y'all, after about a year there I was using it.)

The explanation I have heard is that when the freeways were first built out here they all had names and people used those names instead of numbers because one freeway consisted of multiple numbers. It was easier to say "Take the Golden State Freeway" instead of "Take I-5/US-99/US-6." Eventually in the 80's when the US route numbers were replaced people still referred to it here as "the 5" or "the 15." When listening to traffic reports on the radio they often still refer to the freeways by their names which was confusing for a long time after moving here because I didn't know what they were referring to when I heard "The Harbor Freeway," "The Santa Ana Freeway," or "The San Bernadino Freeway" were backed up. Was I on that freeway? Was I going to be on it?

Incidentally ATC uses the terminology, and if you are departing Burbank (KBUR) as a VFR flight to the north you might be told to follow "The Golden State Departure" which means that you are going to follow "the 5" previously known as "the Golden State Freeway" to the northwest, keeping the freeway to your right until advised.

If you're really bored here's a pretty good article about it using "the" in front of the freeway number in SoCal. http://washingtonmonthly.com/2008/07/28/highway-linguistics-part-3/

Back