Intro Thread

Giant81

Filing Flight Plan
Display Name

Display name:
Robert Fritsch
I thought I'd start by by introducing myself quick. I am a 31yo, former Marine, volunteer fireman, Network Engineer. I had the chance to take lessons when I was stationed at Quantico and didn't take the offer and I've regretted it since.

After that I got married and had 4 kids. My career has been going good and I'm finally at a point I have this uncontrollable drive to fulfill my dream to fly.

While there are a few airports local (KMRJ, KPVB ) I'm going to probably be based out of KMSN or KC29.

Since I don't have much money saved up yet, I'm starting by trying to learn as much as I can for free online. I figure if I can exhaust all of the free sources of information before I pay for training, I'll be in better shape. So far I've noticed it's a lot of understanding terms ad acronyms like it was in MOS school when I was in the military so I know that will just come with time.

My nest step is to get a medical done. If my medical doesn't come back good, then there is no point in paying any money for ground school, online training, or even a check ride. Physically I'm in great shape, my problem are my eyes. I'm not so sure I'll pass the vision test.

My nest step is to get a medical done. If my medical doesn't come back good, then there is no point in paying any money for ground school, online training, or even a check ride. Physically I'm in great shape, my problem are my eyes. I'm not so sure I'll pass the vision test.

Welcome to PoA! And thank you for serving both our country and your local community!!

Getting squared away with the flight medical is a good first step.

Do you mind sharing what specific concerns do you have about your vision?

On other topics, visit with your family doctor and let him know you're goal of getting an FAA Class III medical certificate. Ask him to do a thorough physical, checking all of the major systems and blood work. If anything not good is found, then you have time to address that.

The FAA also permits something known as a "special issuance", or SI, for many medical conditions. Items like cardiac issues, kidney stones, diabetes, sleep apnea, arthritis, and more are covered by the SI's. So if anyone ever has one of these conditions, and it can be demonstrated that the condition is properly managed, you can obtain the SI, and go fly.

For free training materials to start reading while you save your money for training, check out the following on the www.FAA.gov website:

Airplane Flying Handbook and Pilot's Handbook of Aeronautical Knowledge

Both will be excellent basic textbooks to get your started.

Finally, since you're in Wisconsin, consider spending sometime at EAA's AirVenture event that is happening very soon. You will have a chance to see lots of really nice airplanes, meet some really good people, and possibly make some good local and regional connections.

When I was a child I had amblyopia. While my eyes track straight most of the time now, my 3d vision is not the best so neither is my ability to judge distances. I'm also very left eye dominant.

Also I didn't mean checkride, I meant discovery flight. Though I might do one of those anyway just to say I've done it.

Last edited:
Dr. Bruce Chien is our resident superhero of of Aviation Medical Examiners (the cape and tights are hidden by the white lab coat). He is super helpful answering questions of "Can I and how do I get my medical if I have _____ condition?"

He is on this board, so seek out his guidance on what is possible with your vision condition. If he say it can be done, he will provide you with the list of what you to do and what documentation you need to obtain so the FAA is happy.

In the mean time, let us know where in Wisconsin you are, and some of the members close to you might arrange a meet up.

Semper Fi, Brother.

Do you qualify for the post 9/11 GI Bill? I'm currently working on my Private through a community college (I get credit hours for ground school and 'flight lab') so the GI Bill pays for all of it as a class and lab, my flight training.

-VanDy

I live in Montfort, (Southwest corner of the state) and I work on Junction road in Madison. (West side)

I'm also 6'9" 300lb so I'm sure I'm not getting into a 152, but I've been told the 172's are surprisingly roomy. If not I know Wisconsin Aviation has Pipers, but that all just adds to the cost of getting my ticket.

I second the advice to ask Bruce. He helped one of my students out and is going for his checkride soon.

There is a ton of great information out there for free. The manuals suggested are an excellent tool and many CFIs use them. If you like more of a paper form, one of my students found a copy at the local library which is also an excellent place to look.

Other good place I like is AOPA. They publish a magazine called Flight Training which you can get a free 6 month subscription. I'm sure you could walk into a pilot's lounge at the airport and grab a copy too. AOPA also has some online interactive courses that are a touch of something different. http://www.aopa.org/asf/online_courses/ You do not have to be a member to get these resources.

If you're like the rest of us airport bums and like to listen to the chatter on the radio to get your temporary airplane fix, check out www.liveatc.net . KMSN is available and over time you'll start to create a mental picture of whats going on. Spoken from a student's perspective, learning how to talk on the radios can be one of the scariest things about flying.

Oh and one last piece of advice, stick around here. There is a wealth of good people with lots of experience. I've talked with some of them for over 10 years and found many good friends.

Last edited:
If you're like the rest of us airport bums and like to listen to the chatter on the radio to get your temporary airplane fix, check out www.liveatc.net . KMSN is available and over time you'll start to create a mental picture of whats going on. Spoken from a student's perspective, learning how to talk on the radios can be one of the scariest things about flying.

HEHE it's funny you mention this, I was actually just checking my 2m HAM mobile rig in my truck to see if it would monitor 120Mhz. Sadly it only goes as low as 138 I believe, but it's good for 2m and public safety bands.

I'm a big fan of listening to what's going on. I figure the more I listen the better I'll get at picking up shorthand, understanding what's going on, knowing what to say when.

I also love forums. When I get a bug (my ADD kicks in) the first thing I do is find a popular forum for the subject and lurk. You can grain an absolute goldmine of information from a good forum with knowledgeable users.

Last edited:
Greetings Robert. Congrats on wanting to move forward to fulfill you dream of being a pilot. You'll never regret doing so.

Thank you for your service to our country.

Oh yea, I had an old aviation handheld radio my parents bought me when I first became seriously interested in flying. Thing went on trips with me everywhere! I remember listening to approach and departure control while the family drove by Atlanta. It would sit on my desk at home and monitor for hours. I had that instead of a radio. I was an abnormal kid. It's since been passed on to a student but it was fun to feel like I was up there.

Welcome Robert. I want to caution you about your medical situation. There is a huge catch-22 with the medical certification regarding flying private pilot aircraft, and something call Sport Pilot. Since you're a big guy, the planes in the Sport Pilot group are going to be a challenge, but you need to understand the ramification of failing a medical before you apply. It can become a permanent or costly temporary mark against you that will have serious consequences for your flying future.

Please investigate it carefully, and understand the consequence of failing a medical before you go in for the exam.

I forgot - Semper Fi. :yes:

hey, thanks for serving!!!!!!

like you mentioned, I did a bunch of reading before I even did my discovery flight. The Airplane Flying Handbook and Pilots Handbook of Aeronautical Knowledge can both be downloaded for free at http://www.faa.gov/pilots/. I read the entire AFH and most of PHoAK before my discovery flight. good luck!

Another thing that got me wanting to fly was video I saw a couple years ago on the PAL-V. I remember thinking to myself, this could be a huge leap forward for GA. I've been hooked since.

I own some land out in Rural WI, I have enough to launch a PAL-V easily. Fly it to KC29, fold up, and drive to work. Then fly home. It would be the perfect commute.

Also, does anyone know of any good IRC channels for chatting with other students, CFIs, and pilots? Being a computer geek I love IRC, but there aren't always channels for my various hobbies.

Last edited:
Welcome to the board and I like the others mentioned appreciate your service.

Good luck with the vision.

I thought I'd start by by introducing myself quick. I am a 31yo, former Marine, volunteer fireman, Network Engineer. I had the chance to take lessons when I was stationed at Quantico and didn't take the offer and I've regretted it since.

After that I got married and had 4 kids. My career has been going good and I'm finally at a point I have this uncontrollable drive to fulfill my dream to fly.

While there are a few airports local (KMRJ, KPVB ) I'm going to probably be based out of KMSN or KC29.

Since I don't have much money saved up yet, I'm starting by trying to learn as much as I can for free online. I figure if I can exhaust all of the free sources of information before I pay for training, I'll be in better shape. So far I've noticed it's a lot of understanding terms ad acronyms like it was in MOS school when I was in the military so I know that will just come with time.

Old friends of mine who served in that branch were quick to say that there is no such thing as a "former Marine". There are Marines who are no longer on active duty. :D

HEHE it's funny you mention this, I was actually just checking my 2m HAM mobile rig in my truck to see if it would monitor 120Mhz. Sadly it only goes as low as 138 I believe, but it's good for 2m and public safety bands.

Bummer. The dual bander in my Jeep also tunes (with an AM detector) the aviation band. Works great for listening to the tower when driving to the airport to get a feel for what is happening.

I also love forums. When I get a bug (my ADD kicks in) the first thing I do is find a popular forum for the subject and lurk. You can grain an absolute goldmine of information from a good forum with knowledgeable users.

You may have been kidding, but understand that an ADD diagnosis is a disqualifying condition.

There are actually quite a few common maladies that would ground an otherwise healthy pilot. Anything involving depression, anxiety, prescriptions of happy pills, etc. Dr. Bruce Chien is the expert here, but you also have he option of scheduling consult with your physician, or at least doing your own homework.

You'll probably do ok in a 172 provided your length is in your legs. You may also want to consider an in-ear type headset like the QT Halo, so you don't have anything on to of your head.

Your biggest challenge being 31 with four kids will be finding time to do the lessons, after you've squirreled away some money. Good luck!

You may have been kidding, but understand that an ADD diagnosis is a disqualifying condition.

Sadly I wasn't joking, I've always had it and it has never stopped me from accomplishing anything from military service to being a volunteer firemen.

What I don't see is how it can be disqualifying.

It's hard to hear my drams are over before I even got started. :mad2::(

Sadly I wasn't joking, I've always had it and it has never stopped me from accomplishing anything from military service to being a volunteer firemen.

Dream not be totally dead. See my reply to your post in the Medical Forum.

I suspect there are a fair number of pilots from an earlier generation that have undiagnosed ADD.

Unless you were misdiagnosed with ADD, yout options are limited to Sport Pilot, Gliders (including motor gliders) or ultralights. Don't entirely rule out a sport pilot certificate and a Light Sport Aircraft--there are some models that are roomier. That said, it's not weight that's as much an issue as your height. Your best bet is to go to Oshkosh and try on some planes for size.

I'm certainly not ruling out the possibility of sport and who knows, in the years that come, the FAA may pull that disqualification.

As it sits, I wonder about finding an LSA that would fit me, or finding a school around me that has LSAs I can try.

My thinking is if I'm limited to sport is to eventually build my own kit, but see if I can massage the cockpit dimensions enough to allow me to fit comfortably. I'd bet there is all the usual red tape of a kit build plus extra for any dimensional modifications. It's all a long way off though since I still am saving up for ground school, but now I know I can fly, even if I can't fly everything I want to.

My plan was to never fly commercial, but be able to fly something big enough to take the family for trips, fly at night, and get my instrument rating.

For now I'll start with sport and see where that takes me.

Thanks.

LSA category also includes several antique aircraft, such as the Piper J3 Cubs and some others.

Since you're in Wisconsin, a field trip over to AirVenture this week or weekend might serve you well to educate what is out there and what you will fit into.

Every aircraft owner I've ever met is been very friendly and very willing to allow me to have a seat behind the yoke or stick if I asked nice enough. I betcha you'd have the same results.

Heck, you might even get one of them to take you on a flight or schedule something later!

My thinking is if I'm limited to sport is to eventually build my own kit, but see if I can massage the cockpit dimensions enough to allow me to fit comfortably. I'd bet there is all the usual red tape of a kit build plus extra for any dimensional modifications. It's all a long way off though since I still am saving up for ground school, but now I know I can fly, even if I can't fly everything I want to.

You'd be surprised with the LACK of red tape involved in building your own plane. Builders make modifications all of the time...after all it is YOUR airplane, built for YOU. There's always the possibility that the FAA drops the third class medical requirement in the future. If they do, you don't won't to be stuck with a denial. As ADD becomes better understood, there may be a Special Issuance Possible in the future (particularily as more and more of the the newer generations are getting diagnosed as having ADD).

I'll also add that there are opportunities like Civil Air Patrol that will get you up in the air as an observer, if you can deal with not doing the actual flying duties.

Back