Intro/Olivia's first flight!

AndyJ

Filing Flight Plan
Display Name

Display name:
AndyJ
Hi everybody! I've been lurking on here for awhile, and figured to break in, I'd share my story of my daughter's first flight yesterday (cross-posted from AOPA forums so I don't need to re-type it all):

Well it was a beautiful day in NeOhio today, and I had no childcare for my daugther who turns 3 on Friday, so I figured "what a great day to take her flying". Actually she brought it up on the way to school when she saw a 172 flying overhead from the back of the car (!) and said "I want to go up there".
No problem. After preschool, I plopped her in the left seat of a 152 with a bunch of cushions and off we went. We did the standard flight over the house, school, etc, then ended up south over farm country because she didn't want to land yet. I let her 'fly' for maybe 10-15 minutes avoiding any unusual attitudes, then we had a bit of a scuffle when I tried to get the controls back. I pushed her seat back all the way and tried to crank down the shoulder harness, but on short final when she saw the ground so close she gave the yoke a little kick for good measure, as if I couldn't hear her crabbing "I don't want to land!!" over the intercom...It really didn't concern me a whole lot, since one of my students is 6'4" 225lb, so I figure I can overpower her more quickly than him. Best part was when I shut the engine down she had a total meltdown, to the point where someone else wandered over to see if she was OK while I was getting the plane tied down again.
"No she's just mad that we landed."
smile.gif

Attachments

• CaptainLiv.JPG
    CaptainLiv.JPG
    304.8 KB · Views: 49
Andy those are the moments when parenting is just ... well its just the best

Don....Hopefully your grandchildren will follow in your footsteps.

Here on the board there is:
Jason Herman
Rudy Belew
Jesse Angell
and
Me

Who's grandfathers flew. If I am not mistaken we are all 3rd generation pilots too. :D

Only one thing better, being a grandparent. Spoil 'em rotten, send 'em home.
yea, good as it gets.
We're scheduled for the grandparent upgrade in April... I'm still practicing saying "I'm a grandpa"

Jason Herman
Rudy Belew
Jesse Angell
and
Me

Who's grandfathers flew. If I am not mistaken we are all 3rd generation pilots too. :D

Well right now they don't take much interest in flying. They have been up with us a few times and always have fun so I am sure they will come around when they get older. The oldest is 10 now so it shouldn't be long since they are both pretty adventurous.

Don- I love the younger grandson with headset mostly off and the boo-boos all over his hands. What a boy!

Don- I love the younger grandson with headset mostly off and the boo-boos all over his hands. What a boy!

That one is a real handfull now. His mouth runs from sunrise to sunset and is always the one in trouble. Bowdi who is 10 now is a pretty responsible kid. He got through hunter safety at age 8 and has bagged an Elk and an Oryx by age 9, which is pretty impressive for his age. I worry about both of them since the loss of their father in August. Sigh.....

You have some worrying to do yourself. I raised a daughter, just wait til that first hairy leg
boy comes knocking on your door, lol. She's a cutie too, you have some grey hairs coming.

Last edited:
I've put a few elk in the freezer, but my average is way less than 1 per 2 seasons. Isn't an oryx that vacuum cleaner that Orville Reddenbacher look-alike doofus guy advertises on tv? :) hmmm, strike-thru isn't recognized

Last edited:
Isn't an oryx that vacuum cleaner that Orville Reddenbacher look-alike doofus advertises on tv? :)

Careful. That "doofus" is a pilot. :D

Oh, and cute little girl. Mine is 26, so now we're just waiting for the grandparent stage. Some day...

You have some worrying to do yourself. I raised a daughter, just wait til that first hairy leg
boy comes knocking on your door, lol. She's a cutie too, you have some grey hairs coming.
Great, something else to look forward to. I guess I need to work on looking crazy/intimidating. I'm hoping her enormous big brother does some pre-screening at school.

You have some worrying to do yourself. I raised a daughter, just wait til that first hairy leg boy comes knocking on your door, lol. She's a cutie too, you have some grey hairs coming.

Great, something else to look forward to. I guess I need to work on looking crazy/intimidating. I'm hoping her enormous big brother does some pre-screening at school.

Dad, cleaning a shotgun when the first suitor arrives, says "That's my little girl, boy. I have no problem going back to prison if anything should happen to her..."

Just meet them at the door with your trusty .45 in a shoulder holster and
use a real intimidating glare when you look at them, works every time.

We're scheduled for the grandparent upgrade in April... I'm still practicing saying "I'm a grandpa"

It's not near as hard to get used to calling yourself Grandpa as it is going to bed each night with a Grandmother!:D

Jason Herman
Rudy Belew
Jesse Angell
and
Me

My grandfather was a CFI and a Cessna salesman at one point. Skipped a generation with my mom (and dad) but I'm hoping my son keeps the love of flight alive. Judging by the way he stares at his airplane mobile there's hope. Then again, he was totally unmoved by his first flight in my 150.

My grandfather was a CFI and a Cessna salesman at one point. Skipped a generation with my mom (and dad) but I'm hoping my son keeps the love of flight alive. Judging by the way he stares at his airplane mobile there's hope. Then again, he was totally unmoved by his first flight in my 150.

Could your mom or dad take lessons now Andy? My cousin was an aircraft sells man. Piper though.

Could your mom or dad take lessons now Andy? My cousin was an aircraft sells man. Piper though.

They could, but they won't. They really don't have any interest. I can't really understand either, though. Mom flew with her dad when she was younger, but is afraid of it today. Dad retired after 25+ years from Southwest Airlines and we were surrounded by airplanes as long as I can remember. He got it stuck in his head long ago that "If one thing goes wrong in those planes, that's it, you're dead, there's no backup." I haven't been able to get it out of him yet.

They're terrified at the thought of me doing aerobatics, but at least they're proud of me for following my dreams and working hard to learn what I have so far.

Back