int'l travel - best credit card

iflyforfun

Pre-takeoff checklist
Display Name

Display name:
iflyforfun
I'm going to be living overseas for a few years. I've always used my Marriott and United cards pretty exclusively just to rack up points. Looking for some direction on what card to get - any advice? Looking for no annual fee and no transaction fees plus fair exchange rates.

I've heard Capital One has a good "no transaction fee" card, but have no personal experience.

Anyone?

bankrate.com provides some side by side comparisons of credit cards.

I'm going to be living overseas for a few years. I've always used my Marriott and United cards pretty exclusively just to rack up points. Looking for some direction on what card to get - any advice? Looking for no annual fee and no transaction fees plus fair exchange rates.

I've heard Capital One has a good "no transaction fee" card, but have no personal experience.

Anyone?

I carry a Capital One card specifically for purchases outside the US because they don't nail you with an additional transaction fee. I fired Chase years ago when they hit me with one. Discover has just announced that they will no longer be charging such a fee, as well. My corporate travel card is Amex, but that's the only reason I have one of those, my employer issued it to me.

The exchange rates on the Capital One card have appeared to be reasonable.

Capital One Venture Card. No fees AND you get 2% back on all purchases (to be used towards previously charged travel charges like hotels, plane tix, taxis, etc)

Just got the Capital One Cash Back card for foreign travel. The only one I could find without a transaction few of 2-4%. We'll see how it works.

Anyone?

Where?

Discover has just announced that they will no longer be charging such a fee, as well.
I don't know about other countries but I've never found any merchant in Canada who will take Discover. I finally gave up asking.

Can you elaborate on where you are going? I spent 10 years abroad between Japan, Belgium and Venezuela and have various opinions based on where you are.

You don't say where overseas you will be but know that most of England does not accept AMEX except at airport vendors. I've had best luck with a Visa or Mastercard and so far, all mine use add a transaction fee.

Anyone?

There are typically two fees for each foreign transaction - one from MC/Visa, AND one by the card issuer (bank.)

My Capital One card has no int'l transaction fee and will also credit Visa's int'l transaction fees. Can't beat it with a stick.

Last edited:
A little late to the game here, but another vote for Capital One Master Card. I fly internationally all the time, including China, and have no fees when I use it overseas.

Back