Intestinal emergencies

U

Unregistered

Only posting this as unreg to protect the identity of the passenger who may or may not be a significant other who may or may kill me in my sleep were I to tell this story...

We went on a $100 hamburger run. My passenger either over indulged or something hadn't quite sat right and they were puking their guts out in the FBO. After some settling they seemed ok and we agreed it was time to go. About 15 minutes into the flight the airsick bags came out. Gross, but that's what we have them for. Then maybe 15 minutes later...

No ****, there I was. 4500' up in the air, an hour from home, I look over and my passenger has removed their headset, is groaning in pain, then looks at me with wide, desperate eyes and says "It's going to come out the other end!"

I stammered "C-- can you make it?" and received a sheepish head shake in response. Then I knew what was at stake... my god my seat covers. My beautiful sheepskin seat covers! Can you even wash those? I don't know.... good lord what if it got into the seat. That's not just a seat- it's an airplane seat! We'd have to sell our first born. Panic began to set in...

I glanced at my ipad... there was an airport right behind us. It was dicey... several puffy white clouds slightly obscured the clear blue sky... but there it was. This is where all the training pays off, I thought. This is what separates the men from the boys. Filled with resolve, I put on my best batman voice, keyed my mic, and said "center, this is bugsmasher 123, I'm diverting... for a passenger request." (did not actually do batman voice but in retrospect should have as it would have been badass).

I pulled my throttle back, banked 30 degrees, and shoved the nose down. I was like a dive bomber of old... airspeed went 10... maybe as much as 15kts into the yellow... decent rate was too fast to comprehend... about 1,000fpm. I was determined I would drop my load... before the load was dropped onto me.

The controller terminated my radar services then... oh crap I'm already to pattern altitude. Did not need to descend quite so fast. Oh well.

I announced my presence to all who shared the airspace and entered the traffic pattern. It was hard to say but there are at least a dozen aircraft there... on the ground. Tied down. A madhouse I tell you! I landed the airplane in the standard manner, touching down perfectly on the numbers. It was such a perfect landing that anyone watching would have wept at the beauty of it... had there been anyone actually there.

With cautious haste I taxied right to the FBO door, instructing my passenger to exit immediately and stay behind the wing, away from the prop on the way out. I taxied over to a parking spot and shut down... oh but we were not done. No, not yet... I climbed out onto the wing like chuck yeager to see my passenger at the door yelling at me.

Apparently we'd found an airport with a beautiful FBO facility that was locked on a weekday during normal business hours and unattended. I tried the CTAF and it did not open the door... but they had left a phone number. I pulled out the phone and dialed, the local police department answered and asked for my information and a callback number... horrified I feared I would have to wait for someone to call back or come out but fortunately they gave me the code. I punched in the number and let my passenger inside.

There I was. Standing outside the bathroom door, taking in the sounds and smells of horrific gastric distress. It was then I knew I had made it. I'd had my first real emergency and I had handled it like a boss. I was an aviator.

This is why commercial pilots have to learn emergency descents :)

The only thing I would have done differently is to kill the engine before letting the passenger out. It's actually illegal to not do so in my plane, but in most planes it's prudent especially with a "compromised" passenger.

I have yanked the mixture(s), bailed out and dropped trou on a couple ramps..... at low use airports of course.

In Alaska, who cared? Well, in -30 degree temps it was a little more difficult..... I tell ya doc in was a one in a million shot that I would get frostbite down there....one in a million...

Only posting this as unreg to protect the identity of the passenger who may or may not be a significant other who may or may kill me in my sleep were I to tell this story...

We went on a $100 hamburger run. My passenger either over indulged or something hadn't quite sat right and they were puking their guts out in the FBO. After some settling they seemed ok and we agreed it was time to go. About 15 minutes into the flight the airsick bags came out. Gross, but that's what we have them for. Then maybe 15 minutes later...

No ****, there I was. 4500' up in the air, an hour from home, I look over and my passenger has removed their headset, is groaning in pain, then looks at me with wide, desperate eyes and says "It's going to come out the other end!"

I stammered "C-- can you make it?" and received a sheepish head shake in response. Then I knew what was at stake... my god my seat covers. My beautiful sheepskin seat covers! Can you even wash those? I don't know.... good lord what if it got into the seat. That's not just a seat- it's an airplane seat! We'd have to sell our first born. Panic began to set in...

I glanced at my ipad... there was an airport right behind us. It was dicey... several puffy white clouds slightly obscured the clear blue sky... but there it was. This is where all the training pays off, I thought. This is what separates the men from the boys. Filled with resolve, I put on my best batman voice, keyed my mic, and said "center, this is bugsmasher 123, I'm diverting... for a passenger request." (did not actually do batman voice but in retrospect should have as it would have been badass).

I pulled my throttle back, banked 30 degrees, and shoved the nose down. I was like a dive bomber of old... airspeed went 10... maybe as much as 15kts into the yellow... decent rate was too fast to comprehend... about 1,000fpm. I was determined I would drop my load... before the load was dropped onto me.

The controller terminated my radar services then... oh crap I'm already to pattern altitude. Did not need to descend quite so fast. Oh well.

I announced my presence to all who shared the airspace and entered the traffic pattern. It was hard to say but there are at least a dozen aircraft there... on the ground. Tied down. A madhouse I tell you! I landed the airplane in the standard manner, touching down perfectly on the numbers. It was such a perfect landing that anyone watching would have wept at the beauty of it... had there been anyone actually there.

With cautious haste I taxied right to the FBO door, instructing my passenger to exit immediately and stay behind the wing, away from the prop on the way out. I taxied over to a parking spot and shut down... oh but we were not done. No, not yet... I climbed out onto the wing like chuck yeager to see my passenger at the door yelling at me.

Apparently we'd found an airport with a beautiful FBO facility that was locked on a weekday during normal business hours and unattended. I tried the CTAF and it did not open the door... but they had left a phone number. I pulled out the phone and dialed, the local police department answered and asked for my information and a callback number... horrified I feared I would have to wait for someone to call back or come out but fortunately they gave me the code. I punched in the number and let my passenger inside.

There I was. Standing outside the bathroom door, taking in the sounds and smells of horrific gastric distress. It was then I knew I had made it. I'd had my first real emergency and I had handled it like a boss. I was an aviator.

Wow, Eren! You write just like Brian With a "Y" (BWa"Y"). I hope he was not too much trouble on the final leg to get back home with the whole barf****z, unresolved-laundry/shower issues. (BTW, even though I'm not one of teh gayz, I gotta say, BWa"Y" has a smile that's almost as charming as your own, but I'd never admit that in public, 'cuz then I'd be one of teh gayz. [NTTAWWT] [ but I'm not gay {apologies to the copyright holders of AVENUE Q}] )

This is an awesome story.
Reading it half way through my own intestinal emergency after having literally having been thrown up on by my 6 year old 10 minutes ago at 3AM makes it feel like I was there.

If I were to guess... Sac. But I won't.

One friend I have is big on always taking a large coffee can with a lid while flying, TP inside. He said it's not pleasant but better than the alternative. He said it was used 2-3 times over a few decades, family plane since he was young.

That was an awesome read, thanks for sharing. The closest I've ever gotten to anything like that is my son not being able to hold it and having to relieve himself in a water bottle..

What's surprising to me is how they said they couldn't hold it yet managed to do so while you landed, taxied, called the police got the number and let them in, that had to be at least 30 minutes..guess they really did have some control eh?

The whole time through your story, I was holding my fingers crossed "please hold it, please hold it, please hold it". :)

Reminds me of this old thread. "You haven't experienced a real emergency till you've taken a **** in your flight bag". That one cracked up even my wife.

And I agree. The DPEs might try to fake a "heart attack" but in real life, we train emergency descents for intestinal problems. :lol:

One friend I have is big on always taking a large coffee can with a lid while flying, TP inside. He said it's not pleasant but better than the alternative. He said it was used 2-3 times over a few decades, family plane since he was young.

He REUSED THE COFFEE CAN? Man, pilots ARE cheap!

I would check FAR 91.15, ensured there were no hazards to persons or property, and bombs away. Otherwise I'd be gagging all the way to the chocks.

So in the case of an intestinal emergency would you call "pan pan pan" or "can can can"! :rofl::rofl::rofl:

Posting anon so you don't get busted on retelling?

heehee

Yah, that sh*t happens every day... (s)he'll never know who you are and who you're talking about.

Maybe a new squawk code? 3333 (look like little butts, the more you have the bigger the "emergency")

This is an awesome story.
Reading it half way through my own intestinal emergency after having literally having been thrown up on by my 6 year old 10 minutes ago at 3AM makes it feel like I was there.

If I were to guess... Sac. But I won't.
I was going to guess you but I guess I was wrong... unless the quoted post is a cover.

The whole time through your story, I was holding my fingers crossed "please hold it, please hold it, please hold it". :)

Reminds me of this old thread. "You haven't experienced a real emergency till you've taken a **** in your flight bag". That one cracked up even my wife.

And I agree. The DPEs might try to fake a "heart attack" but in real life, we train emergency descents for intestinal problems. :lol:

Never thought of using the flight bag. But then again, I am real careful of what I eat before flying! :yes:

You guys should go over to the pprune forums and read about flying in Africa. Never saw so many stories of grown men ****ting their pants.

Unbuckle pax belt.

Unlatch door.

Full left rudder, full right aileron.

Hard shoulder shove.

Recalc new W&B for landing profile. :rofl:

I would check FAR 91.15, ensured there were no hazards to persons or property, and bombs away. Otherwise I'd be gagging all the way to the chocks.

This would be my reaction with poop in the cabin:

http://youtu.be/Fl_cl-7fsEM

I was never that good with the diaper thing.

About 20 years ago, when my son was little, we had an "au pair" stay with us from England. As I was taking lessons in an Arrow for my commercial pilot's license, and she had never been in a ga airplane, I took her up w/ my CFI. We were out in the sticks practicing narrow and short runway takeoffs and landings. During one takeoff, I heard her mumble something and looked back and said "Are you ok?" to which she answered yes. Well, she later told me that she blew chunks into her hands. So then I asked her "What did you do with it?" as I didn't give her an air sickness bag and there was no oily, greasy discharge in the back seat area. Her response, and a great one it was: "I ate it!":yes::yikes:

New checklist item - passengers fitted with depends - CHECK !!!!

I had a GF blow chunks once. I warned her it was bumpy and we were just going to do a little air work, and some landings, but she insisted on coming along. Rental plane so it all found a home in her purse. Never had the other end issue luckily.

Prove that I'm cheap.

I was at the FBO, getting ready for a flight and saw a CFI wiping down the interior of an Archer and muttering to himself over and over, "Never again, ..."

Turns out he had let his student bring his kids along. What he didn't know was they had a big Mexican lunch on the way to the airport.

I took the other Archer.

I carry a porta potty container in the plane when I fly just in case I need to unload while in air or for a sick passenger.

My son had the stomach flu this past week and managed to puke all over my car, however, after taking him to the ER I learned about these. I will be ordering a set for the plane and car. They are expanable, easy to seal and are relatively cheap. Cheap insurance I think.

81zW%2B%2BgFA1L._SX522_.jpg

61YcfzIXYLL._SX522_.jpg

Cute. Even has a graduated scale for volume and velocity.

'How much came up'?

'Uh - all of it. Including some bits of intestine, and maybe a bit of lung too.'

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 365 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.
Back