Internet Flight Planners

poadeleted21

Touchdown! Greaser!
What do you use for internet flight planning. My AOPA membership is up, won't be renewing. I always used their flight planner. FltPlan.com.. Not my cup-o-tea. Not really impressed with the EAA one. I have the free seattle avionics one but it requires a desktop install and it's kind of bloaty. I don't lug my computer around with me. I'm usually on an FBO computer. Was contemplating the Jeppessen IFP. I am purchasing an iPad, perhaps ForeFlight or WingX will do it?

you asked:

I answered :D

You must be upper level management, let me fix my post.

- Looking for a flight planner.
- Not the Seattle avionics one.
- Preferably web browser based.
- Not fltplan.com
- Not the EAA one.
- Not the AOPA one.

:D

the next choice is to fire up the plane and press Direct to

the next choice is to fire up the plane and press Direct to

That might work well in Kansas. Somebody installed these big huge chunks of Granite around here that you will fly directly into if you follow your D-> pretty much anywhere in a 150HP cherokee.

So what features of the AOPA online planner did you find useful? I've used the AOPA planner quite a bit, but lately I generally find myself using a trio of websites for information gathering. Skyvector.com, aviationweather.gov, and airnav.com. I'm also a ipad newbie and I've chosen foreflight. I've found that it really has all the information I need as well as being able to file a flight plan and get the online briefing.

I like planning with a map. i.e. right click map, add to flight plan, profile view of my route/altitude is something I always check out too.
I see.... I guess when I am using a flight planner, I am not flying low enough to need that sort of info.

Have you tried Runway Finder or Skyvector?

So what features of the AOPA online planner did you find useful? I've used the AOPA planner quite a bit, but lately I generally find myself using a trio of websites for information gathering. Skyvector.com, aviationweather.gov, and airnav.com. I'm also a ipad newbie and I've chosen foreflight. I've found that it really has all the information I need as well as being able to file a flight plan and get the online briefing.

I like to add/remove/double check waypoints, right on the map and check the profile view. I'll probably redo a route 5 times before I get it where I want it. Having the terrain height auto calculated along the route and being able to see what altitude I need is my main motivation for using an internet based flight planner.

Just checked it out, looks good. I can get by with that. Thanks.

Looks OK but not as cool as the new Beta at AOPA. May be worth the $30-40 a year just for that.....

Looks OK but not as cool as the new Beta at AOPA. May be worth the $30-40 a year just for that.....

That was the only reason I was payin' AOPA. I can't, in good conscience, support that organization any longer. Not wanting to get into another debate, but my mind is made up.

I've used the aopa planner, fltplan.com, jeppsen, foreflight, and flightprep. For IFR planning these days I find that foreflight has just about all I need. On occasion I'll use the aopa planner for VFR trips mainly because I like the profile view though that is not as flexible as the jeppsen planner that allows you to specify a different altitude for each leg. The fltplan.com seems better at listing most recent clearances issued than foreflight but I haven't actually done a side by side bake off of that feature between the two. One of the things I really like about foreflight is the ease of entering stars/SIDS with transitions and then having the form all filled in when you're ready to file. It's also easy to add/delete waypoints on the chart view and to reroute ("rubber banding"). So for me, flying mostly IFR, foreflight wins out.

I don't have the first clue as to what issue you all are talking about. Can I get inside the circle of trust? What's the problem with skyvector? I use them to rough out a flight plan before I put pencil to paper.

I just use the tool on the DUATS web site. Nothing fancy, but it gives me the numbers I'm looking for.

Back