Internet-based Courseware

username

Filing Flight Plan
Display Name

Display name:
Bob
A friend is interested in studying for the PPL written and has asked me for recommendations. Being armed with the latest in wireless laptop and hand-held computing capability, my friend would like to try an internet-based training program.

Since all of my old ground school materials are in the form of clay tablets with cuneiform inscriptions, I'm seeking opinions and recommendations from students who have used internet-based PPL training courseware, and from CFIs whose students have done so.

Thanks and happy landings,

buzz

King Schools. I know, you love them or you hate them. I've used them for both my PP and IR writtens and they worked for me. Written exam prep only, their primary courses do not prepare you for anything else. They have other courses for that.

King Schools. I know, you love them or you hate them. I've used them for both my PP and IR writtens and they worked for me. Written exam prep only, their primary courses do not prepare you for anything else. They have other courses for that.
Didn't know they offered an interactive on-line course.

A friend is interested in studying for the PPL written and has asked me for recommendations. Being armed with the latest in wireless laptop and hand-held computing capability, my friend would like to try an internet-based training program.

Since all of my old ground school materials are in the form of clay tablets with cuneiform inscriptions, I'm seeking opinions and recommendations from students who have used internet-based PPL training courseware, and from CFIs whose students have done so.

Thanks and happy landings,

buzz

I used Gleim's online system. Between that and other material (the FAA publications and Rod Machado's book) it is quite possible to not only score 100% on the written, you'll also learn some useful stuff that sticks! :wink2: I managed to miss one question, which bugs me since I switched from a correct answer to an incorrect answer on that one question just before completing the test.

(The Gleim software asks you every question it knows about that may appear on the FAA written (around 700.) And it provides not only the answer if you get it wrong on their testing, but an explanation for what makes the wrong answers wrong and the correct answer correct.)

I just read a textbook. Silly old-fashioned me.

I did that too and thought it would be enough. Then when I used Gleim's software, I found the FAA has a fondness for trivia that is unrelated to safe flying.

Jim Logajan said:
I used Gleim's online system. Between that and other material (the FAA publications and Rod Machado's book) it is quite possible to not only score 100% on the written, you'll also learn some useful stuff that sticks! :wink2: I managed to miss one question, which bugs me since I switched from a correct answer to an incorrect answer on that one question just before completing the test.

Ghery Petit said:

Thanks for the recommendations. My friend is considering Gleim but is now taking a good look at the Gold Seal course that Clay recommended.

buzz

As a new enthusiast I was looking for the same kind of information. I thought I would share this:

http://cessnaflighttraining.kingschools.com/course/ppc/privatepilot.aspx

Not free, but could be well worth it. There is a very limited demo that's free to use, which I found pretty interesting.

Thanks Howard. By new enthusiast, I take it that you are a student pilot. If so, I hope you find your aviation adventure to be as challenging and rewarding as my own.

If you choose to use one of the online PPL courses, please give us a Pirep (PIlot REport) about your experience.

buzz

Didn't know they offered an interactive on-line course.

They do and they're identical to the DVD/CD versions but with one significant benefit - they're always up to date even if it's been years since you purchased the access to it. It tracks your progress and works in every way I can tell just like you were running it on your computer. For me this was a big win because I have only Macs and they'd never get off their lame doopa's and make a Mac version. Now it no longer matters as long as you have internet access at some reasonable speed.

Oh, and I highly recommend them for test prep as long as you can live with the notion that after watching Martha for all those hours that you may find yourself having explicit day dreams about her. Don't say you weren't warned...

I am always here to make recommendations and put together special packages for you!

Paul Bell
King Schools
1-800-793-6898

Does your friend want to learn about becoming a safe aviator, or just pass the knowledge test? I strongly suggest that you send him to a group, classroom setting, ground school. He will learn more from the interaction of other students than any DVD will teach him.

Back