Interior Refurbishment

callegro

Pre-Flight
Display Name

Display name:
Callegro
Hi guys,

Not sure if this is the correct forum to post on, but now that I have some time on my hands, I have been wanting to refurbish the interior of my 180D. As I've heard, it is more cost effective to have an auto upholstery shop do the interior rather than an actual aircraft interior shop. My plan is:

- 2 front seats, sheepskin and leather sidewalls
- Bench seat in the back, leather
- New carpet
- Sidewalls, top half leather, bottom half fabric or carpeting

I figure I can by the materials myself. Burn tested materials, of course. Any specific leather, fabric, carpet you guys recommend?

New carpeting is a must. I guess I'll use the old stuff as a template. Any recommendations on something to take the carpet glue off the bare metal?

As you can tell, I have quite a few questions, so any comments would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks!

My question is how do I get the airplane into the auto upholstery shop.... =D

Well, they got the Space Shuttle from LAX to Pasedena. Anyway, find an upholsterer who will come to the plane. Should be easy enough. The seats you can take to them of course

I had my interior redone for $7200, they covered the headliner in leather, remove the ashtrays, repaired holes, etc. All done by a aircraft shop.

Good plan on using old carpet as a template for the new. You'll probably also want to look at adding sound deadening insulation. There are some good products out there.

I just used goof off on the glue because that's what I had handy.

I got a quote from a place in Camarillo here on the left coast.... 9900 for the interior on my 30ish 140. Guess the interior isn't getting done.

I just went through the carpet deal, I found that adding a few inches of width here & there made the carpet tuck into places a lot better than the old one did and it came out a lot cleaner looking. None of it has a carpet pad or binding on the edges. To keep everything in place I decided to glue Velcro to the carpet using 3M 1357 adhesive and then use stickyback self-adhesive Velcro to fix it to the sheet metal floor. The floor was cleaned treated and epoxy primed to help prevent the self-adhesive Velcro from corroding the floor.

I don't see much benefit in adding lots of soundproofing & insulation due to weight issues and very little change in performance.

Back