Interior plastics

UngaWunga

Pattern Altitude
Display Name

Display name:
UngaWunga
Where's a good place to find new interior plastic panels? Have a 172 that needs some interior love, and would like to replace some of the panels in the rear of the plane.

If it’s just wear and not all cracked up look at duplicator fabric and vinyl paint. It does an amazing job on vinyl and plastic pieces, mediocre on fabric. But interior pieces look brand new with it and seems durable...

I have had good experiences with Vantage Plane Plastics.

Years ago I bought a complete set of interior plastic from Plane Plastics and installed it over time in my AA-5. The interior, in combination with a complete Airtex redo, looks better than new. The Plane Plastics parts are thicker and stronger than the originals, which were as thin as eggshells, and about as sturdy after 30 years of UV light degradation.

If you do the replacement yourself, beware that it is a very time consuming process, as the pieces require custom trimming to fit. It's the nature of our low-volume, hand-built aircraft. I got to know my tin snips and Dremel tool very well cautiously dry-fitting and trimming pieces for installation. The curved parts are the worst.

These guys are the absolute best. https://premieraerostore.com/

The core team came from Vantage plastics left to form a new company, with the goal of making OEM quality interior plastics with little trimming needed. They are also an OEM manufacturer for a couple of GA manufacturers. Their downside is they are still expanding their portfolio of offerings. What they have is first rate.

Last edited:
Years ago I bought a complete set of interior plastic from Plane Plastics and installed it over time in my AA-5. The interior, in combination with a complete Airtex redo, looks better than new. The Plane Plastics parts are thicker and stronger than the originals, which were as thin as eggshells, and about as sturdy after 30 years of UV light degradation.

I did the same on a 172 back in 2003. Most of the parts have held up very well. The exception being the ones around the rear windows. They are now beginning to crack and will have to be replaced again soon. Not sure if Plane Plastics is still around? If so I’d definitely purchase from them again.
Also agree that it’s an extremely time consuming job to do it properly. Tons of trimming, removing and reinstalling over and over again to get it fitted properly.

I have always liked the idea of ditching all the plastic and getting blankets made, like in a Beaver. I would think a simple cover over the exposed flight control cables would keep them safe. Would probably gain a few pounds in useful load and be warmer.

Just a thought.

Back