Interior Paint

JB1842

En-Route
Display Name

Display name:
Josh
So I'm thinking of jazzing up the drab cream colored, plastic door and interior panels in my plane. I'm not going to be flying for a few months, so I'm trying to think of some projects to at least keep me out at the airport. By my reading of Part 43, this is allowed:

Refinishing decorative coating of fuselage, balloon baskets, wing tail group surfaces (excluding balanced control surfaces), fairings, cowlings, landing gear, cabin, or cockpit interior when removal or disassembly of any primary structure or operating system is not required.

So my question is, is there any type of paint (or any other material) that should or should not be used? Would I need to get a new weight and balance because of this?

So my question is, is there any type of paint (or any other material) that should or should not be used? Would I need to get a new weight and balance because of this?

Paint- anything that sticks to plastic

W&B - no. Generally a revised W&B is not issued for changes less than a pound, tho there are times when it is, like moving weight in the aircraft from one location to another.

Thanks. Now I just need to figure out a color.

Required colors can be found in 14 CFR Part....., just kidding!

Dont destroy or lose your placards is about all there is to it.

Dont destroy or loose your placards is about all there is to it.

Thanks. Didn't even think about that. I would ask my wife to help me pick a color, but that could be dangerous.

Thanks. Didn't even think about that. I would ask my wife to help me pick a color, but that could be dangerous.

Feeling lucky? :lol:

You can even print off the TCDS and while goofing off, ensure all the placards are installed. See the notes section that applies to your serial #

http://rgl.faa.gov/Regulatory_and_G...cdcc2ae862578bf004875be/$FILE/3A19 Rev 48.pdf

NOTE 2. The following information must be displayed in the form of composite or individual placards.
A. In full view of the pilot:
(1) "This airplane must be operated in compliance with the operating limitations stated in the​
form of placards, markings and manuals."

Feeling lucky? :lol:

You can even print off the TCDS and while goofing off, ensure all the placards are installed. See the notes section that applies to your serial #

http://rgl.faa.gov/Regulatory_and_G...cdcc2ae862578bf004875be/$FILE/3A19 Rev 48.pdf

NOTE 2. The following information must be displayed in the form of composite or individual placards.
A. In full view of the pilot:
(1) "This airplane must be operated in compliance with the operating limitations stated in the

form of placards, markings and manuals."

Thanks for the link. That's going in with all my other maintenance records. My wife likes to paint, so she might be willing to help.

Take everything out of the airplane and work where you have water. clean each part. then clean again. I like powdered Ajax. rinse and rinse and rinse. I used krylon because I didn't know about Sem, which is designed for plastics.

Just painted a few of the plastic interior pieces and they came out great.
I used SEM color coat. You can find a whole bunch of colors at your local auto body supply store.

SEM also makes plastic adhesion promoter in a spray can. Not sure if I needed to use it but I figured it could only help and maybe prevent possible pealing of the paint.

It is a fun project and the new fresh coat really makes a difference.

Good luck..

I plan on removing everything I'm going to paint. Have to check to see if there is a hose at the hangar. I'm holding off doing my annual until I get cleared to fly again, so I thought it would be a good idea to paint some stuff, install some new seatbelts, and whatever else I can do. Time isn't an issue on any of this stuff, so I can take my time or fix whatever didn't come out ok.

You must be reading my mind. I plan to re-do the instrument panel like that, but for now I'm just going to worry about the easy removal stuff.

hehe, sounds good. :)

Shane
The Squawk Shoppe
Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

SEM paint goes on very well and wears like steel. Used on my panel 6 years ago and it still looks fresh and new. Great stuff and way better to work with than Krylon.

Thanks for the link. That's going in with all my other maintenance records. My wife likes to paint, so she might be willing to help.

And the decals that BeePipMooCess provide are NOT necessary. You can do "pretty" decals on your home computer with EXACTLY THE SAME WORDS and use them.

So I'm thinking of jazzing up the drab cream colored, plastic door and interior panels in my plane. I'm not going to be flying for a few months, so I'm trying to think of some projects to at least keep me out at the airport.

Glad to hear you are planning a project. It'll be fun to see what you can do with your Raffle Rocket. :D

And the decals that BeePipMooCess provide are NOT necessary. You can do "pretty" decals on your home computer with EXACTLY THE SAME WORDS and use them.

For $35 I can buy a whole sheet of replacement decals. Probably going to go that route. I don't want to go too crazy on them. Even though I plan on keeping it for a while, I still don't want to turn off any potential buyers in the futre.

For $35 I can buy a whole sheet of replacement decals. Probably going to go that route. I don't want to go too crazy on them. Even though I plan on keeping it for a while, I still don't want to turn off any potential buyers in the futre.

Once in a while I need a custom one and I get them printed by a "bumper sticker" supplier online. build a sign .com lets you draw simple shapes add text etc on their website and you can get professional results at a reasonable cost that way.

Back