Interior missing

Tom-D

Taxi to Parking
Display Name

Display name:
Tom-D
Would a certified aircraft be airworthy with out its interior installed?

Lets say that the owner removed all the old interior, and now wants to fly over to another airport to get the new interior installed.

Is he legal without a ferry permit?

Aircraft is in annual.

Other than weight and balance issues...

If I were that individual, I would just fly it over.

Did the aircraft come with a utility interior as an option, like the 180/185. Mine has been stripped for years, and is no issue, as the 180 rolled out the factory line with the "utility interior".

I would not understand why an interior would be required on any aircraft, though just like any modification, a new W&B is required.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

You said it was in annual. Doesn't that inspection have to be completed and the aircraft signed off as airworthy before it can be flown, interior or no interior?

You said it was in annual. Doesn't that inspection have to be completed and the aircraft signed off as airworthy before it can be flown, interior or no interior?
Owners do stuff between inspections

Lets say that the owner removed all the old interior, and now wants to fly over to another airport to get the new interior installed.

Is he legal without a ferry permit?

Aircraft is in annual.

Go ask the FAA. Then do what ever you want. Good luck.

Go ask the FAA. Then do what ever you want. Good luck.
Never ask the FAA anything you don't want to be required to comply with.

Define “interior”? Cosmetic, or functional? Seatbelts, seat?

For some reason this reminded me of a stolen Honda that took off from me once. After the driver bailed and we tracked him down, we started doing the inventory on the car. The owner’s race seats and tracks had been stripped and were MIA as well as the rest of the interior. The suspect had been sitting on a stock Honda seat perched on two concrete cinder blocks...

Yes. Provided the alteration was entered in the logbook, the equipment list amended, and if over a pound a new empty weight & balance computed.

By leaving the old trim in he could have saved making the write-ups above.

Yes. Provided the alteration was entered in the logbook, the equipment list amended, and if over a pound a new empty weight & balance computed.

By leaving the old trim in he could have saved making the write-ups above.
I don't believe I've ever seen "interior" on any equipment list, plus lots of old aircraft don't operate on equipment lists.

I think a W&B record is all that should be needed. Just weigh the removed parts and, with their station, compute a new chart.

Math method again for the new interior. (But in the real world I have them drag out some scales when all the work is done)

I don't believe I've ever seen "interior" on any equipment list, plus lots of old aircraft don't operate on equipment lists.

I've never seen wings, horizontal stab, elevators, rudder mentioned in an equipment list either. o_O

Excerpt from CAR 3 below:

upload_2018-3-11_10-8-16.png
upload_2018-3-11_10-9-30.png

As long as the flight control cables are protected from damage and interference, no interior is needed. Still needs to be documented and certified properly. A one off ferry flight would do for a re-position flight.

I don’t know but I had a buddy (a jersey redneck) who drove an OJ style ford bronco with one of these as the drivers seat. No joke.

3ad5aa8b31090956614593ead93fa4b9.jpg

I don’t recall if there was a pax seat or not.

I built a drag car (door slammer) about 25 yrs ago where I got the drivetrain done before the interior. Took it for a spin around the block on a bona-fide milk crate. That’s when I knew I had made it...

I don't believe I've ever seen "interior" on any equipment list
First, not all OEMs call it an “Equipment List.” Second, most list entries don’t define it as “interior” and just show OEM codes or basic terms.

But if the aircraft was originally certified at the factory without trim then it wouldn’t be listed. Now if the trim was installed after the fact then the certified empty weight/equipment list should have been updated.

Here’s an example from an older 182 (items 4 and 5):
upload_2018-3-11_13-18-49.png

plus lots of old aircraft don't operate on equipment lists
Well, then there are lots of old aircraft not in compliance with the rules. The empty weight/equipment list are part of the Type Design/TC. Plus are a requirement for an AWC. Not to mention those two items are on the top 10 hit-list for a ramp inspection.

Regardless of age, all aircraft are required to have a list of equipment. Even those certified by the CAA and issued an original ATC. Look at any “Note 1” on most TCDS. Here’s an example from a Monocoupe ATC/TCDS A-306:
Current weight and balance report including list of equipment included in certificated weight empty, and loading instructions when necessary, must be in each aircraft at the time of original certification and at all times thereafter.

Oh well, I don't believe the interior is that big of an issue for the case in point.
You do have a point, that no aircraft is airworthy unless it is in compliance with its type design or properly altered condition, but FAR 91 points out that it is the pilots responsibility to determine if it is in a condition for safe flight.

Now the question becomes is the interior called out in the type design? You've shown some that it is, many Antique and classic aircraft do not.

In order to know, you must research the production certificate

Last edited:
In order to know, you must research the production certificate
It's easier to create a new list of equipment and update the empty weight and balance.

Back