Interior Cabin Insulation

Rob58

Pre-takeoff checklist
Display Name

Display name:
Rob
As I have most of the interior panels removed as part of an annual inspection I want to replace some of the insulating material sitting between these panels and the fabric skin of the plane. There seems to be quite a few options – looking for recommendations and feedback from anyone that has done the research and tried out different materials. All feedback is appreciated!

fabric skin of the plane
What kind of aircraft? There are a number of options available at different price points but depends entirely on type of aircraft (construction, AB/E vs TCd, etc.).

Overview
ADC-224 is a mid-temperature skin damping composite of 0.25" thick damping foam fixed with 0.005" thick aluminum foil and backed with pressure sensitive adhesive. Used in aircraft for weight efficient damping and to reduce radiated noise. Meets FAR 25.853 (A) for fire resistance. Furnished in 27" x 48"
EAR.jpg

I used this in the Beech Sport. Expensive but that's what Beech told me to use.

What kind of aircraft? There are a number of options available at different price points but depends entirely on type of aircraft (construction, AB/E vs TCd, etc.).
My preference is to use an FAA certified material even if it more expensive - I certainly want something that is flame resistant. This is for a certificated plane - Bellanca. Construction is fabric over tubular steel.

My preference is to use an FAA certified material even if it more expensive - I certainly want something that is flame resistant. This is for a certificated plane - Bellanca. Construction is fabric over tubular steel.
The materials I've seen work the best in both airplanes and helicopters come from Soundex and Soundcoat. Have installed both, but they're not cheap. Keep in mind how well the soundproofing works also depends on its installation. So if installing on removable interior panels, how those panels are installed becomes just as import. Both OEMs above were helpful in selecting the right material and tips. I'm pretty sure Air Spruce still carries Soundex products but I ordered direct from Soundex. And as a side note, another sound/vibration generating item is an out-of-balance prop and/or worn rubber engine mounts. It's strictly optional, but having your prop dynamically balanced plus comparing the vib spectrum from the engine to the airframe may also help smooth/quieten your ride.

As for using certified materials up front I prefer Part 25 materials. And the materials listed above sell with certificates or not. While there are debates on the differences between CAR 3/4 vs Part 25 materials vs aircraft, it's my experience using Part 25 certs keeps any future issues to a minimum provided you keep those certs with the aircraft records.

Ktup -
Did you notice much difference in noise or interior temperature after you installed the insulation?

Yup - that's the same stuff as I used in the cherokee while it was down for engine overhaul. Not sure if I used the same thickness, but it's FAA approved and all that. Definitely reduced the noise and as an added bonus, makes the interior a bit less frigid in the winter weather (which just hit Denver yesterday). I also added a layer on the back side of the back bulkhead.

Ktup did a much better job installing it than I did....

This is all very valuable info - thank for the feedback! I'm going to purchase some small quantities of different materials and decide from there.

Back