Interior backing material

Timbeck2

Final Approach
Display Name

Display name:
Timbeck2
For the side panels in aircraft, I've seen thin aluminum, fiberboard and what looks like industrial strength cardboard for the backing in aircraft interiors. None of this ever looks like it holds up well. Has anyone used anything else or could suggest anything else? The other thread about repairing ABS has got me wondering about an ABS sheet.

None of it works if you take your shirts from the left side of the closet.

Backing for what? How complicated are the panel shapes?

Kydex works great. Easy to work with and shape. I did Kydex in my last Cub. It’s probably the best all around airplane interior material available. Attractive, easy to clean, resilient, quiet. My new Cub uses carbon fiber. I hate working with CF. It makes me itch just thinking about it.

For the side panels in aircraft, I've seen thin aluminum, fiberboard and what looks like industrial strength cardboard for the backing in aircraft interiors. None of this ever looks like it holds up well. Has anyone used anything else or could suggest anything else? The other thread about repairing ABS has got me wondering about an ABS sheet.

ABS sheet sans any glass fiber reinforcement wouldn't be a good choice. Too brittle. All the materials listed have the advantage of not breaking under moderate flex, which is why they don't actually need to be all that strong or robust. ABS would need to be pretty thick and heavy or be a significant portion glass fiber to work in that condition. ABS is cheap, though.

Dunno what I'd use in that position. I'd probably pick some sort of strong, synthetic fabric. Soft, but durable. Would last a very long time, but give the material above it a nice soft-touch feel. Costly, though.

I second using Kydex. Comes in many colours and thicknesses. Not sure if all Kydex is FAR25 fire rated.

My last plane had a beautiful interior when I bought it. When selling the plane, during the pre-buy, the mechanic noticed the panels were made out of covered street signs! They had to be replaced since the paint on them wasn't approved in case of fire.

Kydex is available in many grades, including FAA approved sheets, if Part 23 applies to your plane.

Whether Kydex or street sign paint? Part 23 fire regs do not apply to CAR3 airplanes, which the vast majority of GA planes are.

This is for the backing on the interior side panels. I want to keep it lightweight and I found the plastic cardboard that Walt mentioned. I've updated everything else interior wise, meaning the seats to leather and the carpet from Airtex except the side panels (to leather) and the insulation (need to get rid of that nasty fiberglass)

I have a friend who now owns a company producing insulation kits for aircraft interiors. All faa aproved materials and he might be interested in producing kits that are precut specific to a given model of aircraft. I may offer to help him create a kit for cherokee 140 s. He currently is focused on jets and airliners but wonders if there is any interest from us little guys. What do you guys think, worth the effort or no market for it ???

There's definitely a market for it or Airtex and similar companies wouldn't be in business.

Kydex is available in many grades, including FAA approved sheets, if Part 23 applies to your plane.

Part 23 fire regs do not apply to CAR3 airplanes, which the vast majority of GA planes are.

My Stinson has wood floorboards that are covered in Varnish. It’s a CAR3 aircraft. Not sure how that fits in the whole “Fire Reg” thing.

I have a friend who now owns a company producing insulation kits for aircraft interiors. All faa aproved materials and he might be interested in producing kits that are precut specific to a given model of aircraft. I may offer to help him create a kit for cherokee 140 s. He currently is focused on jets and airliners but wonders if there is any interest from us little guys. What do you guys think, worth the effort or no market for it ???

I used Airtex for my Grumman. I did the seats, side panels, and carpeting in cloth. Cost about $3000 for materials to give a price point. Keep in mind, Airtex has been in business for a very long time, and has really good templates for a large majority of GA aircraft, so it might be hard to compete with them.

IIRC Airtex uses a corrugated/mesh plastic-type of material for the backing. It’s been years since I redid the interior, but check thr Airtex website. Not to be confused with any insulation, this is just the backing in the material for panels.

Here it is….
waterproof corrugated polyethylene board with polyfoam soundproofing under the upholstered surface. Where wall panels were originally mounted on aluminum panels, the old panels are reused, and the new assembled upholstery and soundproofing are cemented over the panel edges

They replaced my original cardboard Piper backing with coroplast and in some cases aluminum. Much better and longer lasting.

My Stinson has wood floorboards that are covered in Varnish. It’s a CAR3 aircraft. Not sure how that fits in the whole “Fire Reg” thing.
FYI: your floorboards, like the fabric on the wings, are considered aircraft structure and not "furnishings." So any "fire regs" do not apply. However, CAR 3 has its own rules on the flammability of interior furnishings.

Yea rip the crap out and leave the weight behind! I did that and just painted my interior- zero regrets

Back