Interesting laptop news articles

Discussion in 'Technical Corner' started by denverpilot, Jan 5, 2017.

1. denverpilot

denverpilot Taxi to Parking

Display Name:

Display name:
    DenverPilot
    Apple floundering, Silicon Valley insider does a fairly accurate analysis of where the company is currently...

https://chuqui.com/2017/01/apples-2016-in-review/

And HP in the meantime announces some very nice hardware at CES...

http://www.theverge.com/ces/2017/1/...-laptop-2017-announced-price-release-date-ces

The HP article doesn't even cover all the stuff they announced, but that laptop looks pretty solid for a LOT less money than the MacBook Pro line.

Just sharing with all the techno-geeks here...

2. RJM62

RJM62 Touchdown! Greaser!

Display Name:

Display name:
    Geek On The Hill
    For me, the author summed it up in this paragraph:

About a year ago, I was this close -->| |<-- to buying a Mac. But the intentional lockdown to prevent user upgrades turned me off. You basically have to buy the most powerful machine you think you'll ever need because there's no way to upgrade it once you buy it.

I mean, seriously, they solder the RAM in. Is that really necessary? What possible advantage is non-upgradability to a user unless that user is an idiot who is clueless about technology, who wouldn't seem to me to be the sort who would buy a Mac Pro in the first place?

The fact that the nearest place I could get a Mac fixed was a long trip into another state was kind of a turn-off, too, especially when you consider that they may not be able to fix it same-day. That means either renting a hotel or making four long drives to pay someone else to do something that I'm perfectly capable of doing myself on a PC, such as replacing a power supply or upgrading a hard drive. Why? When did it become good marketing strategy to annoy and inconvenience your customers, especially when your customers are a niche market to begin with?

One of the reasons Dell became so successful back in the day was that their machines were designed to be easy to work on. Even ordindary users who had never seen the inside of a computer before could swap out a hard drive or upgrade their RAM with the help of "Bobby" from Bangalore, who was only a phone call away. Hell, they didn't even need a screwdriver once Dell introduced "tool-free" cases.

Macs, on the other hand, are designed to be impossible to work on. It make no sense to me.

Rich

Last edited: Jan 9, 2017
  3. kgruber

kgruber En-Route

Display Name:

Display name:
    Skywag
    iTunes sucks as well.

exncsurfer and N659HB like this.
  4. denverpilot

Display Name:

Display name:
    DenverPilot
    Yeah big time. But it's sucked for a decade so we're all kinda used to it like frogs slowly boiled.

5. flhrci

flhrci En-Route

Display Name:

Display name:
    David
    Interesting comparison. :D

6. flyingron

flyingron Touchdown! Greaser!

Display Name:

Display name:
    FlyingRon
    Gosh, I'd not heard from Chuqui in a decade. You have to realize he's reviewing it from a geek's not a businessman's viewpoint.

denverpilot likes this.
  7. denverpilot

Display Name:

Display name:
    DenverPilot
    Geeks buy stuff. But yes. He's definitely a valley geek insider.

Saw where Cook missed so hard on numbers the entire exec staff is missing bonuses for Christmas, and also saw Apple's desktop market share numbers went down more than any other brand in 2016.

I suspect he's about one more miss from being tossed.

RJM62 likes this.
  8. RJM62

Display Name:

Display name:
    Geek On The Hill
    When you consider that neither Win8 nor Win10 are especially popular Windows releases among long-time and business desktop users -- Win8 because of the GUI and Win10 because of the GUI and the spyware -- the fact that Apple is losing desktop market share is even more significant.

I was shopping for a replacement machine for my parents last week. Their ancient e-Machines desktop succumbed to a power surge along with the UPS the computer was plugged into and the DirectTV box in the bedroom. It must have been a hell of a surge to take out the UPS. But I digress.

I looked at all manner of replacements and noticed two things that were rather surprising to me. One was that many manufacturers are still making Win7 Pro machines. It's almost as easy to get a Win7 machine as a Win10 machine from real computer stores like Micro Center. That doesn't say much about Win10's popularity.

The other thing I noticed was that the Macs I looked at did not have touch screens, and apparently never will, according to my admittedly superficial research. Apparently Apple doesn't think making a desktop look and work like a phone makes any sense, which is something I agree with. In fact, their more-conventional desktop GUI was one of the reasons I looked at Macs for my own use a year ago. I detest tiled GUIs on non-touch machines.

But there are people who do like touch screens and tiled GUIs; so I was very surprised that Mac hadn't come out with a touch-equipped machine with a touch-friendly GUI as an optional interface for users who would like that functionality. By not offering touch as an option, they're as guilty as Microsoft of ignoring their users' preferences: Microsoft forces users into a tiled GUI that only makes sense for touch even if the user doesn't have or want a touch screen; and Apple won't let their customers have a touch screen and a touch-friendly GUI even if they do want them.

The thing is that on Windows, you can install Classic Shell or some other GUI add-on to sort of get around Microsoft's compulsory tiled interface and make the computer feel more or less like a conventional Windows machine. There's no equivalent that I know of that will make a Mac touch-friendly. I don't even know if Mac desktops can support touch-screen monitors. (Obviously their laptops won't.)

Personally, I detest touch screen desktops, along with the tiled interface needed to make them useful. I just don't get the point. Why reach out three feet in front of me to do what I can do with the mouse and keyboard that live by my fingertips? It makes no sense to me.

But my mother fell in love with my younger brother's touchscreen AIO Win10 machine when she was at his house, so that was the direction in which I was looking. She also told me how disappointed she'd been when she tried to upgrade to Win10 and found that her hardware wouldn't support it, so buying a Win7 Pro machine and pretending that 8 and 10 had never happened wasn't an option. So in the end, I ordered her a Dell AIO machine with Win10. I suspect that she'll hate it after a week, at which time I'll install Classic Shell on it, and the screen will likely never be touched again.

Then again, though, I could be wrong. Mom's actually quite the geek for an old lady once you get past her non-conventional terminology; her refusal to accept that software is almost never really "free"; and her difficulty accepting that when I say "click," it means "left click" unless I specifically say "right click." She's made some progress on the first two, but I think the last one's a lost cause. She'd give Bobby in Bangalore fits if she ever called for support.

But again, I digress. My point is that for whatever reasons she might have (possibly arthritis), Mom really wanted a touch-screen machine. But Apple doesn't make one. So the company that prides itself on innovation and user-friendliness lost a potential sale for being behind the technology curve and not giving a prospective new user what she wanted.

Rich

9. Van Johnston

Van Johnston Line Up and Wait

Display Name:

Display name:
    Van Johnston
    iPad with bluetooth keyboard?

10. RJM62

Display Name:

Display name:
    Geek On The Hill
    At her age, I think screen size comes into play, as well.

But my point is that neither Microsoft nor Apple seem to care very much about what their users want anymore. They want to push whatever product they're pushing, even if it means actually removing code, as Microsoft did when they started pushing tiled GUIs. All they really had to do was leave it in place as an option while also implementing the alternate tiled GUI. Apple, on the other hand, refuses to implement touch at all on desktops and laptops even though it would be an easier transition for their loyal users who are already used to the iPad interface.

Neither company seems to grasp that annoying your user base and ignoring their wishes are not viable log-term business strategies. But I think it's an even dumber move for Apple because their user base is a niche market to begin with.

Rich

11. denverpilot

Display Name:

Display name:
    DenverPilot
    Good point. But we did covert our toughest user base at the office to Win10 and they survived it, just fine. Been on it now for half a year or more. You get used to the UI or you install classic shell.

12. RJM62

Display Name:

Display name:
    Geek On The Hill
    I installed Classic Shell. Under the hood, Win10 is fantastic. But I can't deal with the tiled interface.

Rich

iflyvfr likes this.
  13. iflyvfr

iflyvfr Line Up and Wait

Display Name:

Display name:
    Greg
    I have a slick little Dell notebook with Win 8 and a touchscreen. I thought I'd hate the touch, but I don't, it's not half bad. What I do hate is Win 8. It just makes no sense to me at all. For the first time since I taught myself DOS working at the original Micro Center on Lane Avenue, I feel like I need to take a class to understand how to do much of anything.

14. kgruber

kgruber En-Route

Display Name:

Display name:
    Skywag
    Classic Shell and Godmode.................all is good with WIN10.

denverpilot likes this.
  15. denverpilot

Display Name:

Display name:
    DenverPilot
    Yep it ain't bad. We had to move that group for Bitlocker, which turns out to be infinitely havkable if you have physical access, but the customers' secruity departments know better than we do, and have 30 people dedicated to checkboxes on forms in a Security Department. Of course we charge for doing all of their busywork so it works out fine.

My favorite today was the customer who asked if we have a PCI certification. Nope. Did we start handling credit cards for you? No we didn't. In fact we'll refuse to get sucked into that time suck if you ask. You handle the credit cards we'll handle the other stuff. LOL. We would have to charge you enough to hire two security engineers just to handle it if you really want it... minimum.

16. Ghery

Ghery Final Approach

Display Name:

Display name:
    Ghery Pettit
    Win10 has one annoying "feature" that has me ready to launch nukes at Redmond periodically. When I fire up Windows Explorer, or whatever they call it this week, to look at files it goes off and updates something. And takes FOREVER to do it. Previously this was just a problem with my newer machine, but tonight my older Lenovo that originally had Win 7 (and I wish it still did) started showing the same crap. I don't know what the idiots at MS think they accomplished with this "feature", but they've thoroughly ****ed off this long time (and I mean LONG TIME, as in 30+ years) customer. I don't like Apple, but what other choices do we have? It's a good thing we civilians don't have access to nuclear weapons, as I'd probably use on one MS. Did I mention how much they **** me off these days?