Interesting facts about Arkansas....

eman1200

Touchdown! Greaser!
Display Name

Display name:
Bro do you even lift
....yes, apparently there are a few. I pulled a couple out of an inspirational list of 50 (that's right, fifty interesting things about Arkansas!):

1. Diamonds were first discovered in Arkansas by John W. Huddleston in 1906 where Crater of Diamonds State Park stands now

4. Hope is the self-proclaimed Watermelon Capital Of the World

6. Cheese dogs were created in Little Rock at the Finkbeiner Meat Packing Company in 1956

15. Walmart, the superchain with 11,000 stores in 27 countries, opened its first store in Rogers in 1962

37. Alma claims to be the Spinach Capital Of The World but is not the home of Popeye.

40. A farm in Lavaca has a silo painted into a giant Budweiser beer can

42. Although technically not 'illegal' it is frowned upon to keep a monkey in Arkansas for too long. People are encouraged to relieve Brian] of his monkey-sitting duties. Rumors have started about "a Piloty-looking guy and a monkey hanging out in a van in the parking lot of the local higher-education institution (aka 'middle school' in Arkansas) attempting to lure in school girls and the occasional gym teacher". Jennifer, a 15 year old 7th grader stated "It was weird, they offered me bananas and cocaine, which I thought was really creepy but it was a really nice van with a cool airbrushed paint job and since I was just waiting around for the results of my pregnancy test, I figured I might as well, but someone should really get this monkey out of Arkansas"

44. Dover has a double-decker outhouse at the Booger Hollow Trading Post.

47. What started off as a small store in Howard County in 1938 turned into Dillard’s, one of the top department stores in the country.

c'mon folks, who's gonna step up?!?!?!?

http://www.pilotsofamerica.com/forum/showthread.php?t=87759&page=21

A major rice producer.

Remington is a major employer.

The airstrip, I think in Lonoke (can't remember) is almost impossible to find even with a GPS. Sits right next to the highway, running the same direction.

Stuttgart, Ark. The Duck Hunting Capital of the World

59. Useful to a grade schooler when listing all 50 states. In order to break 40, I listed both "Arkansas" and "Arkansaw."

(Side note - I had to do a book report on New England once. I knew roughly where it was, but I'll be damned if I didn't spend an hour looking for it on the map.)

A major rice producer.

Remington is a major employer.

The airstrip, I think in Lonoke (can't remember) is almost impossible to find even with a GPS. Sits right next to the highway, running the same direction.

Look for the Remington tower where they drop lead to make buckshot -- 1AR9 is just across the interstate. Can't miss it (as long as you look up from the GPS map..)

By the way - the monkey just told me his name: Henning! That little guy has some stories to tell about y'all...

....yes, apparently there are a few. I pulled a couple out of an inspirational list of 50 (that's right, fifty interesting things about Arkansas!):

1. Diamonds were first discovered in Arkansas by John W. Huddleston in 1906 where Crater of Diamonds State Park stands now

4. Hope is the self-proclaimed Watermelon Capital Of the World

6. Cheese dogs were created in Little Rock at the Finkbeiner Meat Packing Company in 1956

15. Walmart, the superchain with 11,000 stores in 27 countries, opened its first store in Rogers in 1962

37. Alma claims to be the Spinach Capital Of The World but is not the home of Popeye.

40. A farm in Lavaca has a silo painted into a giant Budweiser beer can

42. Although technically not 'illegal' it is frowned upon to keep a monkey in Arkansas for too long. People are encouraged to relieve Brian] of his monkey-sitting duties. Rumors have started about "a Piloty-looking guy and a monkey hanging out in a van in the parking lot of the local higher-education institution (aka 'middle school' in Arkansas) attempting to lure in school girls and the occasional gym teacher". Jennifer, a 15 year old 7th grader stated "It was weird, they offered me bananas and cocaine, which I thought was really creepy but it was a really nice van with a cool airbrushed paint job and since I was just waiting around for the results of my pregnancy test, I figured I might as well, but someone should really get this monkey out of Arkansas"

44. Dover has a double-decker outhouse at the Booger Hollow Trading Post.

47. What started off as a small store in Howard County in 1938 turned into Dillard’s, one of the top department stores in the country.

c'mon folks, who's gonna step up?!?!?!?

http://www.pilotsofamerica.com/forum/showthread.php?t=87759&page=21

General Dynamics was one of my accounts in the late '80's. I would make a quarterly visit, first stopping in greater Dallas for stops at TI, E-Systems, etc and then head to General Dynamics in Arkansas, used to pass through Hope. When you approach Hope you see the water tower with a big slice of watermelon painted on the side and the words, "Hope A Slice of the Good Life".

brian];1982257 said:
Look for the Remington tower where they drop lead to make buckshot -- 1AR9 is just across the interstate. Can't miss it (as long as you look up from the GPS map..)

They came so close to giving it the appropriate designator. Far better Had it been 1AR15.

Arkansas is also mentioned in the Bible.

Well, I didn't want to mention it, but I have been taking the monkey to church. The little guy was being a real pain. He was acting up pretty good during the first service. Then the pastor handed the little guy one of the rattle snakes ...

He's been pretty quite since then. Kinda lost a little of his coloring too. Much easier to deal with now ...

For those wondering....

Noah looked from the Ark and saw....

I grew up there (Jonesboro area....Egypt actually) and can attest about the rice since I helped grow a whole lot of it. I do miss it from time to time but I don't miss the humidity, the mosquitoes and tornadoes.

I had read somewhere that Arkansas was the only state that was self-supporting, meaning that you could build a fence around it and it could provide everything to it's peoples.

For those wondering....

Noah looked from the Ark and saw....

I grew up there (Jonesboro area....Egypt actually) and can attest about the rice since I helped grow a whole lot of it. I do miss it from time to time but I don't miss the humidity, the mosquitoes and tornadoes.

I had read somewhere that Arkansas was the only state that was self-supporting, meaning that you could build a fence around it and it could provide everything to it's peoples.

Well sure, they have the original Walmart! Those places have everything! :)

brian];1982257 said:
Yep, and a little down 15 is the Remington Arms Gun Club. When I worked 2nd shift at Falcon Jet I would stop and shoot a couple rounds of trap before work. $10 for a box of shells and 25 clay's.

PEOPLE, stay focused here.........#42.........

Who started all this blabbin' to POA about how great Arkansas is? It is a good place to live and we'd like to keep it that way. Don't y'all start movin' here now - ya hear!!

Yep, and a little down 15 is the Remington Arms Gun Club. When I worked 2nd shift at Falcon Jet I would stop and shoot a couple rounds of trap before work. $10 for a box of shells and 25 clay's.

Gun club is still there. I think the price is up a little, but still very affordable. They can even spot you a shotgun if you don't have one. The have shooting matches with the local schools, companies rent the range for events and it is a good way to make a little noise on the weekend.

I did notice that you can see aircraft on the approach end of 36 from the gun club pretty well. I do have to say: DON'T SHOOT!! (at me). I have a monkey on board!

What are you hinting at, if I might pry, mate?

Sac,

I think some one messed with eman's cheerios again. He seems mighty sensitive tonight. Be careful around him! Without his monkey, there's no telling what eman might do!

David

Back