interesting case of a potential HIMS alcohol/sub abuse relapse

James, the idea (which may or may not apply to you) which CERTAINLY applies to these HIMS graduates, is to make it decidedly un-palatable to drink again. They did agree to it.

Checkout CEN14-A163. He had just gotten off of HIMS. This is what happens when an addict gets through the system, is not in recovery (is a "dry drunk"), and plans his relapse. Events like these can END the entire HIMS program, for all the guys flying in recovery with well re-established good lives.

It's sooo easy just to not drink. For most, James. We won't be calling out the National guard, but the guy Dr. Fowler is talking about needs to come home.....in a jumpseat. Attached is FAA's conditions. The Airlines are even TOUGHER. It's about trust, guy.

Attachments

• HIMS.Elig.Ltr.Redacted.pdf
    21.5 KB · Views: 263
Last edited:
Never said it did, but those are the rules. It's their bat, their ball and their field. :( We all agreed to play by the rules. Don't like their rules, ain't nobody making you play the game.

Nope, it's our field and we pay for the bat and ball, we just let them use it.

If you don't like it, change it, or at least that's my thought.

Rebel>Refugee mindset

Our representatives mandated this policy, act of Congress, 2009.
James331 said:
So if I'm over .08 but show no signs of being "drunk" based on logic I should be good to go right... Oh yeah, not how that scam works.
And I take it that you would accept the assessment of an LEO as to your behavior in that circumstance? Something tells me....."not!".

Last edited:

Rebel>Refugee mindset
You're bucking the trend because the industry is going in the opposite direction about compliance and conformity, in all aspects, not just alcohol.

I was sitting in the bar
Then I went out to my car.
I had too much to drink
And plainly didn't think.
I came upon a wreck
But was going fast as heck.
I ran into a chopper
and got busted by a Copper.
Now I'm sitting here in jail
Got to forward all my mail.
If I could do it over
I woulda called for Uber.

Rebel>Refugee mindset
And there are some with your mindset. That said, there are more that don't have your "rebel" mindset. The field, bat, and ball are owned by everyone, not just the "rebel" minority.

Do I completely agree with all the rules? No.
Do I think they are a reasonable compromise for all?? Yes.

Our representatives mandated this policy, act of Congress, 2009.
And I take it that you would accept the assessment of an LEO as to your behavior in that circumstance? Something tells me....."not!".

Of course not, but I'd trust the video camera and science.

What I said about the rebel over refugee mindset, it's about working to change what's screwed up in a system, not piddling yourself and hiding in a "safe place"

What I said about the rebel over refugee mindset, it's about working to change what's screwed up in a system, not piddling yourself and hiding in a "safe place"
As I said, you will have a tough time with that because both the FAA and (especially) the companies you might work for are headed for that "safe place". Not making any judgment on good or bad, just stating reality.

As I said, you will have a tough time with that because both the FAA and (especially) the companies you might work for are headed for that "safe place". Not making any judgment on good or bad, just stating reality.

It's just like kids who flush all sorts of stuff down the toilet, it's fine and all, till you back the thing up.

You keep pushing for "safety", plot that chit on a graph and in 20 years it will be illegal to leave your house, and our law enforcement will become some fahrenheit 451 level BS.

It's just like kids who flush all sorts of stuff down the toilet, it's fine and all, till you back the thing up.

You keep pushing for "safety", plot that chit on a graph and in 20 years it will be illegal to leave your house, and our law enforcement will become some fahrenheit 451 level BS.
I know you are a professional pilot flying a single engine medivac, but to be honest I would be very concerned about putting a loved one in your care.
You have been a weed smoking champion, as well as a alcoholic defender.
No wonder you're still flying the mighty PC12.

Truly not a dig on you personally, but rather that mindset can't seem to get past semi entry level jobs.

I know you are a professional pilot flying a single engine medivac, but to be honest I would be very concerned about putting a loved one in your care.
You have been a weed smoking champion, as well as a alcoholic defender.
No wonder you're still flying the mighty PC12.

Truly not a dig on you personally, but rather that mindset can't seem to get past semi entry level jobs.

Bud, the requirements to get my job would easily land me the all holy 121 gig if I wanted it, also since when was single pilot IFR a entry level job? Guess all those 172s CFIs just didn't look on the right job board.

And to be frank, it's the folks who mindlessly follow orders/people/the media who freak me out, especially in advanced airframes, don't think just paint by numbers, asiania and air France come to mind.

And PLEASE show me where I said I smoke weed? As I don't smoke, I'd be really interested to read that. I support peoples freedoms to choose what they put into their own body, I think policing has become predatory, which is hard to deny, but I have NEVER supported driving under the influence of anything, or showing up to work as such.

I just don't like mindless puritanical automatons.

Last edited:
Bud, the requirements to get my job would easily land me the all holy 121 gig if I wanted it, also since when was single pilot IFR a entry level job? Guess all those 172s CFIs just didn't look on the right job board.

And to be frank, it's the folks who mindlessly follow orders/people/the media who freak me out, especially in advanced airframes, don't think just paint by numbers, asiania and air France come to mind.

And PLEASE show me where I said I smoke weed? As I don't smoke, I'd be really interested to read that. I support peoples freedoms to choose what they put into their own body, I think policing as become predatory, which is hard to deny, but I have NEVER supported driving under the influence of anything, or showing up to work as such.

I just don't like mindless puritanical automatons.
Ahhh... didn't realize your pc12 job required that much turtbine twin time, but I've been wrong before.

It's not about the guys who mindlessly follow orders, but rather the rebels who mindlessly choose not to follow them.

I'm not going to take the time to dig out the threads, but you have defended the weed stoners in the past.

Ahhh... didn't realize your pc12 job required that much turtbine twin time, but I've been wrong before.

It's not about the guys who mindlessly follow orders, but rather the rebels who mindlessly choose not to follow them.

I'm not going to take the time to dig out the threads, but you have defended the weed stoners in the past.

"Weed stoners". Yeah, reefer madness right? Lmao

By the way, not sure if you're keeping up with the times, a ATP and a pulse gets you into a 121 now.

I also really don't give a chit about the size of the aircraft, it's a QOL chase, pay me more money and give me a better QOL and I'd be stocked to fly a PA18 for a living, I really don't get off on the little rolley bag and the gold bars, and my airplanes bigger, just doesn't impress me.

"Weed stoners". Yeah, reefer madness right? Lmao

By the way, not sure if you're keeping up with the times, a ATP and a pulse gets you into a 121 now.

I also really don't give a chit about the size of the aircraft, it's a QOL chase, pay me more money and give me a better QOL and I'd be stocked to fly a PA18 for a living, I really don't get off on the little rolley bag and the gold bars, and my airplanes bigger, just doesn't impress me.
Sure... anyone can apply and be a 121 operator.

What's your point?
What does that have to do with anything? Don't believe I brought up 121 vs 135. My point is your job, as much as you and many others may cherish it, is still considered an entry level job. It doesn't matter what rules you operate under, rather that you just fly a very light aircraft.

That's not meant to be a dig, just stating the facts.

Sure... anyone can apply and be a 121 operator.

What's your point?
What does that have to do with anything? Don't believe I brought up 121 vs 135. My point is your job, as much as you and many others may cherish it, is still considered an entry level job. It doesn't matter what rules you operate under, rather that you just fly a very light aircraft.

That's not meant to be a dig, just stating the facts.

Understood, however that would prove to be a uneducated assumption.

Based on hiring mins, as an example, a regional airline job is more of a entry level job, hit ATP numbers and you're in, most medevac ops look for 3000ish hours, higher IMC time, good bit of turbine, think the night requirements are also above ATP mins, and a bit more PIC time.

Not sure what this has to do with the topic, aside from a feeble attempt at falsely claiming my opinions on personal freedoms have me stuck in a "entry level" job?

Doesn't really hold water.

Allow me to ask you a question, presuming ofcourse one doesn't drive/work/shoot/etc under the influence of whatever, why do you feel you have the right to dictate what others do behind closed doors?

*side note, I actually prefer flying smaller aircraft, if it somehow paid me and gave me a great QOL, my dream job would be bouncing around lakes in a supercub.

Understood, however that would prove to be a uneducated assumption.

Based on hiring mins, as an example, a regional airline job is more of a entry level job, hit ATP numbers and you're in, most medevac ops look for 3000ish hours, higher IMC time, good bit of turbine, think the night requirements are also above ATP mins, and a bit more PIC time.

Not sure what this has to do with the topic, aside from a feeble attempt at falsely claiming my opinions on personal freedoms have me stuck in a "entry level" job? Doesn't really hold water.

Allow me to ask you a question, presuming ofcourse one doesn't drive/work/shoot/etc under the influence of whatever, why do you feel you have the right to dictate what others do behind closed doors?
While I agree on many points (and yes you could get hired at a regional airline), my point is your atttitude about alcohol and rules in general does not seem to fit the profesional pilot profile.
You are a self processed "rebel", and quite frankly that is not welcome in most structructured environments. SOP's for example... I HATE some of our calls. Guess what. It's not my choice, I have to make the call. I cannot be rebellious and ignore it because I don't like it.
That's what I'm talking about being a pro.

You are a self processed "rebel", and quite frankly that is not welcome in most structructured environments. SOP's for example... I HATE some of our calls. Guess what. It's not my choice, I have to make the call. I cannot be rebellious and ignore it because I don't like it.
That's what I'm talking about being a pro.

Ahh!

I think we have a miscommunication

Rebel>Refugee mindset

In your case I wouldn't advocate ignoring that call out, but if it bothered me that much, I'd get together with others, work on a solution, if it turned out to be better go present it smartly to the training department or who ever, if that didn't work keep working your way up.

I never said break the rules, especially in our industry.

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 365 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.
Back