Interesting Addition to my Medical

Chris Charanza

Pre-takeoff checklist
Display Name

Display name:
Chris
So my Special Issuance renewal finally went through and I noticed that it now says:

MUST USE CORRECTIVE LENS(ES) TO MEET VISION STANDARDS AT ALL REQUIRED DISTANCES.

Now this isn't a big deal because I do have glasses although I don't use them for anything other than watching TV and at work on my computer however how did the FAA even know I now have glasses? I didn't put it on any paperwork that I've sent them (just didn't think about it because I don't use them for anything other than what I wrote above). The only thing I can think of is that when they do the renewal they check the insurance database or something? I mean my health insurance did pay for them, just seems odd to me even though it's not really an issue as I'll just wear them when I'm in the plane now.

Is the eye exam no longer part of a medical?

"Must Use Corrective Lens(es) to meet vision standards at all required distances* is the new language for vision limitations on medical certificates. The old familiar language about needing near vision or far vision was replaced last year. If corrective lenses are required to meet any vision standard for the medical certificate, this is the language that is to appear in the medical certificate limitations. It is not specific to special issuance medicals.

Last edited:
It's just strange because It wasn't on the first one and I haven't had an exam from my AME since my initial exam. He did send in all the paperwork on my SI renewal but I didn't actually see him and I don't recall ever mentioning anything about glasses when I sent them the stuff needed for my SI renewal and I passed the vision test during my exam. I didn't start wearing glasses until 6 months ago.

It's just strange because It wasn't on the first one and I haven't had an exam from my AME since my initial exam. He did send in all the paperwork on my SI renewal but I didn't actually see him and I don't recall ever mentioning anything about glasses when I sent them the stuff needed for my SI renewal and I passed the vision test during my exam. I didn't start wearing glasses until 6 months ago.
If you passed your last certificate eye exam and there was no corrective lens limitation on your last medical, I'd be surprised to see one now too unless the SI had something to do with vision.

If you passed your last certificate eye exam and there was no corrective lens limitation on your last medical, I'd be surprised to see one now too unless the SI had something to do with vision.
The SI had nothing at all to do with vision, mine was sleep apnea and I didn't have the corrective lens limitation on it so it's odd, again not a big deal but odd.

If you didn't say anything to the AME and you passed your vision test at the exam, it is most likely just an error from the AME. I've always had corrective lenses limitation, and at one renewal the doc forgot to put it on. I didn't both getting it corrected until the next renewal.

Sounds like an error. Government agencies sometimes make them.

Yep. I need both near and far correction, but when I got my 3rd class it only called out correction for near vision. I guess the FAA is okay that I can't see 30' in front of the plane as long as I can read the panel.

Every day I become happier and happier with Basic Med.

I had a CFI friend that has perfect uncorrected 20/20 vision get a lens restriction added to his medical by mistake in OKC. He had to send a a letter to OKC or the regional office stating that he has never had or required to wear corrective lenses to obtain 20/20 is all distances. I'm not sure if he got a statement from his AME or an optometrist or not but OKC did remove the restriction and sent him an updated medical. I'd start by calling your regional medical office for guidance.

I had a CFI friend that has perfect uncorrected 20/20 vision get a lens restriction added to his medical by mistake in OKC. He had to send a a letter to OKC or the regional office stating that he has never had or required to wear corrective lenses to obtain 20/20 is all distances. I'm not sure if he got a statement from his AME or an optometrist or not but OKC did remove the restriction and sent him an updated medical. I'd start by calling your regional medical office for guidance.

At this point I'm just going to wear the glasses. The eye doctor said that my vision isn't bad and the prescription is very minor. When I took my FAA medical in 2022 I passed the vision exam without glasses but to me it's probably easier just to wear them and not worry about it. I've flown with and without them and there really isn't much of a difference inside the airplane or even when I drive. Now when i sit and stare at a work computer or watch television after a long day I will wear them because both screens will have a very slight blur which is enough to give me a headache.

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 365 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.
Back