Interested in getting my PPL - help?

Went into Westwind today and got to check out a few 172s...man I can't wait to get an intro flight!

Glad you enjoyed the visit - as you obviously saw you can train in 172s with glass or analog gauges. It looks like you stopped by on Saturday (?)...the airport is a lot quieter on Sundays.

As a private pilot do you get to learn how to recover from spins like this?

As others posted it is no longer required for the PPL. However I asked my instructor if we could work on spins (especially spin recovery!) and he is more than happy to teach that.

Good luck with the doctors!

Yes I filled out the MEDX and saved it to my computer..printed it out at well.

I told my asthma doctor's office what the visit was for and explaining some of the things on the checklist (which he will obviously be familiar with). I could email them the worksheet though...although I do plan to bring it along with me.

You are on the correct track!

Don't forget, hold onto that confirmation# and don't give it to the AME(or his secretary!), until after you've had a consultation with an AME to review your answers and supporting documents. You'll probably have to make two appointments with the AME. So don't set it up as a flight physical exam appointment initially. You may have to try a couple if they don't understand what you're asking for(a consultation).

Every thing here spot on.

If the AME's office staff says, "Sorry, no visit without the confirmation number, ask to speak with the AME. The doctor often is more savvy about the system than the office workers. If the AME says no visit without #, then vote with your feet and find a different one.

This month's FAA Safety Briefing has an excellent article on finding a good AME. http://www.faa.gov/news/safety_briefing/

You are on the correct track!

Every thing here spot on.

If the AME's office staff says, "Sorry, no visit without the confirmation number, ask to speak with the AME. The doctor often is more savvy about the system than the office workers. If the AME says no visit without #, then vote with your feet and find a different one.

This month's FAA Safety Briefing has an excellent article on finding a good AME. http://www.faa.gov/news/safety_briefing/
Or just suck it up and schedule an extra doctors visit. Discuss everything and see where it stands. Schedule your medical the next day. Don't even complete the medexpress.

Unfortunately, there are some AME's who have given their staff instructions of "No MedXpress, no appointment."
I'm saying make an appointment with the doc to do a physical before the FAA medical. In the discussion tell him you are considering learning to fly, and ask if he sees any issues.

I'm saying make an appointment with the doc to do a physical before the FAA medical. In the discussion tell him you are considering learning to fly, and ask if he sees any issues.

Oh, with his regular doctor... gotcha...

I think we covered that when we advised visiting his pulmonary doctor to get the asthma squared up.

Yea I will visiting my asthma doctor this Friday to make sure I am all square. Then I see the AME about 10 days after that.

I will be seeing the AME that Robert recommended in this thread.

I am still looking around at flight schools/CFIs...it looks like there are some great schools at the Scottsdale Airport, but unfortunately it is not the most convenient for me in terms of being close to work. Deer Valley is much more convenient. Me and my dad visited Westwind last weekend and I got to take a look at a few of their Cessna 172s...my dad has his PPL but is not current - nonetheless it is nice to have his input.

I have a feeling I will probably go with Westwind, but nothing has been decided yet. My dad expressed some concern that he thought the Westwind planes were fairly "well used" shall we say. Obviously they are airworthy, but he thought I may be able to find another school or CFI with maybe some better options. I don't really care as long as the plane is safe.

I want to make sure I choose a good school/CFI, but don't want to drag this on for too long. I will schedule an intro/discovery flight as soon as I have chosen a school/CFI.

I will schedule an intro/discovery flight as soon as I have chosen a school/CFI.

Consider using the discovery flight as a means of choosing the CFI. Permits you to determine if his style of teaching fits your way of learning BEFORE you tie your wagon to the school and individual CFI.

There has been a lot of good information posted in this thread so far. The only thing I will is that, like you, I wanted to fly since I was a child. I had been around other pilots for some time and had gone up with them when they flew. As a result I had an introduction to aviation before I started training. Everyone told me to make sure I had all of the money set aside that I would need to finish my training otherwise it would take long and cost a lot more.

I followed that advice. I made sure I had enough money set aside that would allow me to complete my training. I was also working a temporary night shift for a few months which gave me time to fly during the week days. I flew every day that the weather would allow. I finished my flight training in 2 1/2 months and took my check ride when I had 43 hours. I also took my training starting in mid May and finished at the end of July. During that time I we had a lot of windy days that gave me some really good experience especially with cross wind take off and landings. I had a great instructor who wanted to make sure I was introduced to a lot of different conditions including spin training.

The bottom line is that it is very important to have a good instructor that you get a long with very well and that you fly as often as possible.

Good Luck!

Jean

I will be seeing the AME that Robert recommended in this thread.

If you go to the office on 27th avenue - enjoy all the aviation related items. I got caught up in a Smithsonian Air & Space Museum coffee table book they had and was kind of disappointed when they called me. That 27th ave office is actually across the street from the Safeway campus where I work, it is a nice area.

My dad expressed some concern that he thought the Westwind planes were fairly "well used" shall we say.

Trust me, they are. But they are also safe: maintenance schedules are checked for each aircraft as a part of the check out process for each flight.

Consider using the discovery flight as a means of choosing the CFI. Permits you to determine if his style of teaching fits your way of learning BEFORE you tie your wagon to the school and individual CFI.

+1.

If you decide to go with WW request my instructor Stephen Frisch for your discovery flight. Stephen is easy going and very knowledgeable.

Good luck and let us know how things work out for you.

There is nothing wrong with a well used or ugly airplane, as long as it's airworthy. Pretty airplanes cost more, especially with flashy avionics.

Look out for deferred maintenance and excessive inop equipment, but don't sweat ugly 70s paint jobs.

As long as the engine is strong, airframe sound, controls free and correct, and we got a good radio and transponder, let's go fly!

Haha alright thanks guys

CC268 -- One last requirement for those discovery and initial training flights...

Photos must be posted here or it didn't happen.

Some docs don't appreciate the baked-in bureaucracy of the FAA. They want to just scratch some words on their letter head and say it's all good. But it is important you have a good relationship with the incredibly over-worked secretary who is going to type up the letter and ensure she understands that you need the verbiage and information that will satisfy the FAA about your asthma. "Bob is good to go" ain't gonna cut it. This I know.

My AME (lots of us know him) really PO'd a doc I was dealing with because my guy didn't appreciate that we needed emphatic language that would leave no doubt I was eligible for my medical. Nowadays, when I need my SI letter, the doc doesn't bat an eye, he just has his secretary prints out the letter with the magic words and I'm golden.

My visit with my asthma doctor went well - did great on the Pulmonary Function Test and he wrote up a very detailed current status report verifying and I good for flying and meet all the requirements on the FAA checklist.

I have my AME appointment on the 24th. I am going to contact Westwind today and hopefully do an intro/discovery flight this weekend.

Unfortunately, there are some AME's who have given their staff instructions of "No MedXpress, no appointment."

I'd like to see that list published so we know to STAY AWAY. :mad2:

My visit with my asthma doctor went well - did great on the Pulmonary Function Test and he wrote up a very detailed current status report verifying and I good for flying and meet all the requirements on the FAA checklist.

I have my AME appointment on the 24th. I am going to contact Westwind today and hopefully do an intro/discovery flight this weekend.

No first flight yet? What you waiting for? I'd have recommended going on a couple rides first(maybe I did). I hope you like flying, after all this trouble you're going through. ;)

I can't explain it, but apparently some people don't, :dunno:

Awesome!

Remember, for the discovery flight, post photos for us or we will claim it didn't happen!

Remember, for the discovery flight, post photos for us or we will claim it didn't happen!

And if you go in "my" plane: 123-Golf-Juliet don't break anything!!

cessna172_123gj.jpg

Hey guys! Sorry I haven't been on here recently.

I got my medical certificate today - I had no issues getting it. Unfortunately Westwind told me they have a 5-6 month wait time...however I am talking to Jon (the Chief Flight instructor over there) as he gave me his card and asked me to call him. I still haven't heard back from him, so we will see what happens.

I actually got a recommendation for an instructor through a friend of my dad's. Unfortunately he recently acquired a new job where he will be gone 2 weeks at a time. Awesome guy though and a GREAT pilot - I am really disappointed that his availability won't be good.

I actually went on an intro flight with the instructor mentioned above in his Decathlon (I will try to get a photo up later). It was a blast! I logged an hour and practiced coordinated turns, steep turns, touch and goes (of course he did the work, I just got a feeling for it with the landings), etc. He also did a demonstration of what you would do if the engine failed - he demonstrated a forward slip (I think that is what it is called)...that was very cool! I may do some flying in his plane here and there too as it is a tail dragger and a little more difficult to fly than a 172. Of course, I plan on doing my main instruction in a 172 once I find an instructor and an available plane.

Anyways...still in search of an instructor and plane - I may have to go to Glendale or Scottsdale, which is a bit of a shame since they aren't the most convenient airports for me.

Cool plane Robert!

Wow, a six month wait? I guess the scene is a bit more active over there. Most of the outfits around here are just begging for students.

A Decathalon is a lot of plane for an intro flight. Glad you enjoyed it, but I would have suggested a 172, or a 152 if you're small enough. Kinda like learning to drive in a sports car vs. an econobox.

Wow, a six month wait? I guess the scene is a bit more active over there. Most of the outfits around here are just begging for students.

A Decathalon is a lot of plane for an intro flight. Glad you enjoyed it, but I would have suggested a 172, or a 152 if you're small enough. Kinda like learning to drive in a sports car vs. an econobox.

It was more of an opportunity for me to just get up in a small plane...better than nothing...

I am thinking about getting a King or Sporty's Pilot or Gleim Ground School Course (Gleim is the cheapest option I believe)- is this a good idea? My dad seems to think it would save me some cash compared to doing it at a school (not even sure I will be attending a school anyways).

Last edited:

Yea...and it is literally all Korean (I believe they are Korean) students. Their government pays for them to come over here and train from what I understand.

Last edited:
I am thinking about getting a King or Sporty's Pilot or Gleim Ground School Course (Gleim is the cheapest option I believe)- is this a good idea? My dad seems to think it would save me some cash compared to doing it at a school (not even sure I will be attending a school anyways).

Ask your instructor.

And it's not necessarily cheaper. Most around here are comparable, and one outfit will do it for free if you take the written exam from them.

You don't really have to do either. But whatever you do should mesh with your instructor.

Last edited:
Yea...and it is literally all Korean (I believe they are Korean) students. Their government pays for them to come over here and train from what I understand.

If there is a pilot mill at that airport, go somewhere else. At $120+ an hour for the plane and probably $50 or more for the instructor, do you really want to wait in line for takeoff?

I would second that. Any school that wants to crank foreign students through the mill and make you wait six months to take your money, isn't nearly interested enough in your success to earn that money.

Find someplace that wants to teach anyone, not just their bread and butter contract students. Or a CFI who has appropriate access to aircraft via a club or whatever who isn't associated with the mill.

Ask your instructor.

And it's not necessarily cheaper. Most around here are comparable, and one outfit will do it for free if you take the written exam from them.

You don't really have to do either. But whatever you do should mesh with your instructor.

Yea I suppose I should wait until I find an instructor before I buy anything.

If there is a pilot mill at that airport, go somewhere else. At $120+ an hour for the plane and probably $50 or more for the instructor, do you really want to wait in line for takeoff?

Yea...I have heard that people get frustrated over there since they are burning fuel and your 8th in line to take off. The north runway isn't nearly as bad from what I understand.

I would second that. Any school that wants to crank foreign students through the mill and make you wait six months to take your money, isn't nearly interested enough in your success to earn that money.

Find someplace that wants to teach anyone, not just their bread and butter contract students. Or a CFI who has appropriate access to aircraft via a club or whatever who isn't associated with the mill.

Yea it is a little bit frustrating that they wouldn't put a US citizen first over international students...but I guess it is a business. They obviously don't care where their money is coming from haha.

I just gotta find an instructor and a plane...I may end up over at the Scottsdale airport.

Last edited:
Yea it is a little bit frustrating that they wouldn't put a US citizen first over international students...but I guess it is a business. They obviously don't care where their money is coming from haha.

I just gotta find an instructor and a plane...I may end up over at the Scottsdale airport.

I just looked at their web site, wow, says they have 30 planes, and they gave you a 6 month wait estimate for training? Good for them, I guess. I'd be looking elsewhere.

Why would citizenship determine priority for that?

There are VERY few places where your citizenship gives you such treatment.

Why would citizenship determine priority for that?

There are VERY few places where your citizenship gives you such treatment.

I apologize.

I just looked at their web site, wow, says they have 30 planes, and they gave you a 6 month wait estimate for training? Good for them, I guess. I'd be looking elsewhere.

Yea I was quite surprised myself. I am still waiting to hear back from the lead flight instructor to give me a "confirmed" wait time. As of now though, I was told by the guys at the front desk as well as another flight instructor that the wait time was 5-6 months and that they weren't accepting students.

I got my medical certificate today - I had no issues getting it. Unfortunately Westwind told me they have a 5-6 month wait time...however I am talking to Jon (the Chief Flight instructor over there) as he gave me his card and asked me to call him. I still haven't heard back from him, so we will see what happens.

Congratulations getting your medical! I know you put a lot of thought and effort in to that.

The wait time surprises me: I was told a month and got assigned an instructor within 3 weeks. So stay in touch with Jon you never know what will happen.

If there is a pilot mill at that airport, go somewhere else.

Not just one pilot mill but two of them.

WestWind trains the Koreans, TransPac trains the Chinese...or something like that. And yes they do take up a lot of time. In the cooler months it is not too bad but in the summer when flying is limited to the morning hours it can become difficult to get a plane. As mentioned earlier in this thread my instructor has no problem bumping Asian students in order to make room for the custom students...something I really appreciate.

The north runway isn't nearly as bad from what I understand.

7L/25R is much less congested, especially in the morning. It is also frequently used for touch-and-gos with 7R/25L used to get the students in the air.

Cool plane Robert!

Actually it is butt ugly. However it stands out like a sore thumb and in a busy pattern I appreciate the visibility from that ugly paint job!

Here is the working end:

cessna172_123gj_panel.jpg

Congratulations getting your medical! I know you put a lot of thought and effort in to that.

The wait time surprises me: I was told a month and got assigned an instructor within 3 weeks. So stay in touch with Jon you never know what will happen.

Not just one pilot mill but two of them.

WestWind trains the Koreans, TransPac trains the Chinese...or something like that. And yes they do take up a lot of time. In the cooler months it is not too bad but in the summer when flying is limited to the morning hours it can become difficult to get a plane. As mentioned earlier in this thread my instructor has no problem bumping Asian students in order to make room for the custom students...something I really appreciate.

7L/25R is much less congested, especially in the morning. It is also frequently used for touch-and-gos with 7R/25L used to get the students in the air.

Actually it is butt ugly. However it stands out like a sore thumb and in a busy pattern I appreciate the visibility from that ugly paint job!

Here is the working end:

cessna172_123gj_panel.jpg

Yea it is a bit odd the wait time is so long. That is nice that they are accommodating to you - I sort of got the opposite vibe from them when I was in there haha.

I can't wait to get back in the air though...hopefully I can find something in the next week or two.

You can actually get all you need to pass the written knowledge test and the practical exams from the free books supplied on the FAA website. Just search for the Pilots Handbook of Aeronautical Knowledge http://www.faa.gov/regulations_policies/handbooks_manuals/aviation/pilot_handbook/ and the Airplane Flying Handbook http://www.faa.gov/regulations_policies/handbooks_manuals/aircraft/airplane_handbook/

If you think you need/want something for the PPL written exam prep, then the Prepware series from www.ASA2FLY.com is a good product.

And get the ASA FAR/AIM app for your phone or tablet. Mucho better than the paper version. You need it anyhow, but not having to lug around 5lbs of paper and not needing to purchase replacements when new info is published makes having the app worth it.

Anyway, start with the free books and get to reading those. Then later you can decide if investing in a Gleim or King kit is worth the money.

Back