Interested in beginning a career as a pilot (Philadelphia, PA area)!

MoneyMike111

Filing Flight Plan
Display Name

Display name:
MoneyMike111
Whats up?

Im interested in beginning a career as a pilot. I have a few questions though...

1.) Is Hortman Aviation a good school and price for ratings?

2.) Is $60,000 for Private pilots license, Instrument and Commercial Pilots license, Certified Flight Instructor license, Certified Instrument Instructor license, MEI license, and ATP license too much money or is it average?

3.) Do I need ALL the licenses listed above?

4.) Can I take out student loans for the courses and training and how?

5.) What can I expect career wise and is it worth it???

Thank you... :hairraise:

Whats up?

Im interested in beginning a career as a pilot. I have a few questions though...

Seems like they have good rates for aircraft and CFIs and learning how to fly in a Grumman is WAY better then a Cessna 150/172 or PA28.

I cant say much more without talking to their CFIs

2.) Is $60,000 for Private pilots license, Instrument and Commercial Pilots license, Certified Flight Instructor license, Certified Instrument Instructor license, MEI license, and ATP license too much money or is it average?

Uhh, well you can do better, look up "safety pilot" and "shotgunning hours" if you can find a buddy to build time for your commercial with, you can split the rental fees and cut the costs by a significant amount.

NEXT you're NOT GETTING A ATP license, that takes 1,500 hours, you are going to end up with about 250 hours which will earn you your commercial license, FROM THERE you get your first job and start working your way up in the industry and working towards meeting the ATP requirements.

You'll need a Commercial and Instrument at least, if you have the money a commercial multi instrument would be nice

As for the instructor licenses, it's your call, your first flying job is going to be a tough one, many people instruct to build their first 1000hrs for their next job, other will fly skydivers, do pipeline, tow banners, tow gliders, etc.

If you want to go the instructor route, I would take your CFI classes at a school THAT WILL HIRE YOU AS A CFI AFTER YOU GET YOUR CFI TICKET, I would first get your CFI and make some money with that (as most of your students will be private pilot students anyway, only requiring you to have a basic CFI license).

From there see what the need is AT THE SCHOOL YOU'RE WORKING AT for CFIIs and MEI add-ons, if you see a need while working there then spend the money, if not, dont.

Yes, if you want to, I'm not a big fan of debt but that's a personal call on your part.

Your school should be able to point you in the right direction for a loan.

Well that depends on you.

If you can think outside the box and like to travel, flying can be VERY rewarding.

If you need everything drawn out for you and dont like traveling, it could be hell

Personally there is nothing I would rather do then fly for a living, I'm doing well and have a good quality of life.

That being said, I should mention I dont work for the airlines, I'm in the specialty air service side of the house.

Before you dive in you might want to think about what type of flying you want to do for a living, spend some time around the small local airports and tailor your training accordling.

Airlines?

Charter?

AG/Fire?

Backcountry?

Etc..

Last edited:
It is way, way in your future, but you should be aware of changes to the requirements for the ATP that will make it a very expensive certificate. The 1500 hours is the easy part. You will have to complete an Airline Transport Pilot Certification Program before you get as far as the written exam. The ATP CTP courses will be provided by an authorized training provider under Parts 121, 135, 141 or 142 (i.e. not your local flight school) including at least six hours of training in a Level C or higher full flight simulator....that represents a multiengine turbine airplane with a maximum takeoff weight of 40,000 pounds or greater. IOW, the kind of simulator found at major aviation universities or training facilities. That will be a deal killer for many aspirants. Go to www.faa.gov, click on Regulations over on the right, and when you see the list of regulations go to 61.151 and those that follow.

Having said that, flying for an airline is not the only way to have a flying career. A commercial pilot certificate (with instrument and multiengine ratings) will provide you with a varied career.

First and foremost, flying is fun. Get your private, enjoy flying, and let the chips fall where they may.

Bob Gardner

It is way, way in your future, but you should be aware of changes to the requirements for the ATP that will make it a very expensive certificate. The 1500 hours is the easy part. You will have to complete an Airline Transport Pilot Certification Program before you get as far as the written exam. The ATP CTP courses will be provided by an authorized training provider under Parts 121, 135, 141 or 142 (i.e. not your local flight school) including at least six hours of training in a Level C or higher full flight simulator....that represents a multiengine turbine airplane with a maximum takeoff weight of 40,000 pounds or greater. IOW, the kind of simulator found at major aviation universities or training facilities. That will be a deal killer for many aspirants. Go to www.faa.gov, click on Regulations over on the right, and when you see the list of regulations go to 61.151 and those that follow.

Having said that, flying for an airline is not the only way to have a flying career. A commercial pilot certificate (with instrument and multiengine ratings) will provide you with a varied career.

First and foremost, flying is fun. Get your private, enjoy flying, and let the chips fall where they may.

Bob Gardner

+1
Those ATP changes are going to kick some peoples butts, not sure how many universities have level C or Ds, best ive seen was a Redbird FMX, Cs and Ds tend to live at places like flight saftey

As I said I'm not in the airlines, still many of the jobs in my industry ask for a ATP even though it's not needed per the FARs.

Another option for the OP, which I hesitate to mention, would be to buy a 150/AA1/Chief/ etc. to build hours in then sell. I'd only recommend this if the OP has some higher level pilot friends or family, which I'm guessing he doesn't.

Last edited:
I find your questions both dear and amusing. Tell me, for how long now have you had this interest in becoming a pilot ? Why do you think that would be a good expenditure of your efforts and energies ?

Whats up?

What's up? Probably not even the birds around here tonight, considering the weather.

1. Never heard of them. I'll let you decide.

2. $60K if you were really getting a new 1500 hour ATP would be a steal. Basic math shows that would be $40/hr. Since I doubt that's really what you're getting and you're probably getting 250-300 hours for that money, $60K turns out to be $240/hr for 250 hours or $200/hr for 300 hours. That number wasn't exactly hard to come up with, and now you can compare to other places that charge by the hour for the aircraft and the instructor, often separately. (Why am I doing your homework for you? Do some simple division next time.)

3. Probably. You build flight time by teaching (someone younger/less experienced than you is paying you to teach them and you get to log the flight time) or by buying it, in the commercial pilot biz. At least until you finally get a paid job and someone pays you to fly.

4. Colleges with degree programs often pair up with or have their own FAA part 141 schools, which is a special training setup that qualifies for student NEED. This doesn't mean you'll necessarily qualify for student LOANS to meet the full need. How much of your education have you already saved up for, or are your folks helping, and have you talked to them about how much they were planning on spending on you if anything? How much debt were you planning on carrying after school into adulthood and how long will it take to pay off at typical pilot salaries for pilots in their first five to ten years of their career? What's your planned budget look like? As far as your question goes, you apply for student aid every semester or year just like any other student, but you have a higher number listed as your NEED if you're doing a Part 141 school in conjunction with an aviation degree program. If you're doing your training under Part 61, the Feds will give you no additional student loan NEED in your annual number. But Part 61 can be significantly cheaper if you find the right aircraft and instructor. Many people recommend not getting an aviation specific degree so you have other knowledge to fall back on for a "regular" job. Kinda depends on you and what you feel comfortable with.

5. Can't answer what you can expect for a career. I'll let the pros here answer that. There's message boards full of happy people making very little money but doing what that like for a living, and there's horror stories of 20 person crash pads in lovely places like Newark. Heh. It's mostly up to you and what you want for a life. The one thing that's a given is your company and your seniority number is your life if you go to the airlines. It doesn't matter if you're freakin' Sean Tucker and can fly anything with wings in your sleep, if you hold a low seniority number, you'll be sitting reserve in some really crappy places for a while. Conversely if you make it 20 years without your airline furloughing you, and have a nice high number, you can bid routes you like and fly with people you like. It's all relative. Either you like flying enough that all the silliness doesn't bother you, or your don't and you're miserable.

Other life things: Starting a family while you're young and on the road all the time is also typically known to be very difficult. Takes a special spouse to survive the constant travel. Some pilots get lucky and have one. Lots are on divorce number three and paying big child support and alimony checks. Heh.

You rolls the dice, you takes your chances. Welcome to life.

Most pro pilots I've met who "made it" were ruthless about their finances all the way from starting until decades into their careers. Not a penny wasted. Cheap doesn't begin to describe them, but they're not unhappy about it. They actually seem to enjoy it.

Not very many fat flight instructors out there either... They don't seem to eat much. Plus they know they lose chubby students when they can't both get in a cheap small trainer and be within weight and balance limits.

Nothing stopping you from having a normal job and flying like mad... A really good regular job that pays really well, you can buy an airplane yourself and afford to feed it fuel and maintenance indefinitely and go flying every weekend. Many young people miss this option. The guy picking up the trash on the trash truck every week at your house probably makes more money annually than most pilots make for the first five to ten years of their careers. The pilot will eventually surpass the trash truck guy, but the trash truck guy can probably afford to co-own an airplane with a few buddies and go flying whenever he wants.

Plenty of ways to skin the cat, when it comes to flying.

I'd say, go spend some bucks on the Private rating, NEVER pay anyone up-front for flight time, and go see if you like it. If that place wants their $60K up front, tell them to pound sand. Lots of schools have taken people's money and then they show up one day and the school is bankrupt and the doors are locked. Don't fall for that trap.

Good luck with it. Let us know how you're doing.

+1
Those ATP changes are going to kick some peoples butts, not sure how many universities have level C or Ds, best ive seen was a Redbird FMX, Cs and Ds tend to live at places like flight saftey

As I said I'm not in the airlines, still many of the jobs in my industry ask for a ATP even though it's not needed per the FARs.

Another option for the OP, which I hesitate to mention, would be to buy a 150/AA1/Chief/ etc. to build hours in then sell. I'd only recommend this if the OP has some higher level pilot friends or family, which I'm guessing he doesn't.

I had an online discussion with Wayne Phillips, an airline pilot who writes the Career Pilot column for Flight Training Magazine. Having occupied a front-row seat in a non-airline turbine airplane because having an ATP was a job requirement, I asked if there was a way around the ATP CTP for pilots without airline aspirations. H said there is no escaping it, but expressed hope that when the impact of the legislation hits NBAA and jet operators in general, the new rules might get tweaked.

Bob Gardner

Things to know before you start:

No DUI's within the last decade.

No drug arrests in the last decade

No use of any psychoactive drugs for at least 2 years

No use of ADD/ADHD drugs ever

No diagnosis of ADD/ADHD or other physiological diseases or challenges

No arrests for domestic violence or for alcohol related events

No personal history of diabetes, or other endocrine diseases - hypertension, or cardiac issues.

If you cannot agree with all of those -then please first contact Bruce Chien, MD - at www.aeromedicaldoc.com.

Do not spend any money on training until you first know you can obtain a first class medical certificate . . .

I promise you that if you take the $60k, invest it in mutual funds - and then don't look at them for 40 years, you will have more money than if you worked as an airline pilot for 40 years ....

So get a job delivering UPS packages or as a plumber . . .. better long run job security, benefits and wages, since if you are gonna deal with crap you might as well get paid for it.

You should change your name to "brokemike111" Cause that's pretty much what you'll be for the next decade if you start from scratch and take out 60k in loans.

This is the first i've heard of the new ATP CTP requirement.

Of the 7 airline pilots I know, all were former military, most navy. All are now retired except one. He grad. From univ. Of maryland, degree in aeronautical engineering, flew Air Force for 18 years, most of this time flying U2's. Rose to lt. Col. Rank. When posted to a desk job he left, Now flys for major airline from Kennedy apt. Many much older pilots were able to get hired without military training , some were ag. Pilots, barnstormers, etc. Today, without an ATP and several thousand multi hours you probably won't go far. There are always exceptions but I would not count on being one.

I promise you that if you take the $60k, invest it in mutual funds - and then don't look at them for 40 years, you will have more money than if you worked as an airline pilot for 40 years ....

So get a job delivering UPS packages or as a plumber . . .. better long run job security, benefits and wages, since if you are gonna deal with crap you might as well get paid for it.

Disagree very much. I did just what you recommend back in 1985 with an inheritance. Not only is the Mutual Fund gone the brokerage house is non-existent as well.

for schooling, i would NOT get an aeronautical science degree. the airlines only require you to have a bachelors degree in anything you want. choose business administration or engineering or something else more practical than the flight science degree. if your medical craps out or you cant get a job with the airlines, at least you have a degree to fall back on.

for schooling, i would NOT get an aeronautical science degree. the airlines only require you to have a bachelors degree in anything you want. choose business administration or engineering or something else more practical than the flight science degree. if your medical craps out or you cant get a job with the airlines, at least you have a degree to fall back on.

Workd well for me, I eat out, have a couple cars and a plane, no debt, so I'm not sweating every penny. The thing with this industry is you need to really focus and have a long term plan, make yearly business plans for yourself and find nitches that others overlook.

As for the fall back degree.

If you believe you are going to fail this early on and need something to fall back on, just quit right there, you won't make it.

Also for every guy who couldnt hack it as a green CPL there are 10 kids working at Fred Myers with debt and a 4 year degree that they don't/can't use.

Now if you want a degree just to have a degree, I'd recommend going the MBA or medical route, like becoming RN. Flying and doing some pt RN work would be interesting, RNs and medical folks can travel for work as easily as a pilot. Dated a RN for a while and anywhere I wanted to fly she could get a gig too.

I did the degree thing and have some non-aviation licenses too, I'm always going to school on the side for something, just something I enjoy.

First question, how old are you? You have gotten a bunch of decent advice above. You should not let someone dissuade you from your goal just because it is hard or expensive but you should most definitly take into consideration the advice that was given above. A career path is not somethng to be followed without knowlege, evluation and understanding of the obsticals that lie ahead. Try to spend some time with an airline pilot and ask a lot of questions.

As for Hortman, I got my private and my IR at Hortman. The instruction was very good and the best price in the area at the time. Of course I had two great instructors. If you want I'd be happy to talk to you. Where in the Philly area do you live? You can PM me with a phone number.

i never said anything about thinking you are going to fail. its a degree just in case. in aviation we are trained for "what if" scenarios. this is a life "what if scenario" god forbid he fails a medical and can never fly again and he has a degree in aeronautical science. what else can he do besides fly? what other job can he get? getting a degree in something else can make you more rounded. you said it yourself, you need to have a long term plan. his long term plan may be to get in the airlines. what if tha doesn't happen, whats plan B. its not being doubtful, its taking initiative and planning out a career. im majoring in business administration and flying on the side hoping to get a job with the airlines btw.

Workd well for me, I eat out, have a couple cars and a plane, no debt, so I'm not sweating every penny. The thing with this industry is you need to really focus and have a long term plan, make yearly business plans for yourself and find nitches that others overlook.

As for the fall back degree.

If you believe you are going to fail this early on and need something to fall back on, just quit right there, you won't make it.

Also for every guy who couldnt hack it as a green CPL there are 10 kids working at Fred Myers with debt and a 4 year degree that they don't/can't use.

Now if you want a degree just to have a degree, I'd recommend going the MBA or medical route, like becoming RN. Flying and doing some pt RN work would be interesting, RNs and medical folks can travel for work as easily as a pilot. Dated a RN for a while and anywhere I wanted to fly she could get a gig too.

I did the degree thing and have some non-aviation licenses too, I'm always going to school on the side for something, just something I enjoy.

Wayne Bower gave me some sage advice this year at Oshkosh. He said "David, get your ass to college. How many professional pilots own King Airs and Citations?"

And that resonated with me.

Pure speculation and BS.

I'm surprised you didn't recommend becoming a lawyer. That way he can charge huge amounts of money and have his secretary do all of his work.

Or better yet, convince a client that he has a case, get him pumped up and spending the big dollars and when you bleed him dry then tell him "you better just settle now and cut your losses".

Wayne Bower gave me some sage advice this year at Oshkosh. He said "David, get your ass to college. How many professional pilots own King Airs and Citations?"

I am a professional pilot and in my life I've owned 25 different airplanes and helicopters, including a King Air and a Hughes 500.

I agree with Wayne it's not many, but it is possible.

for schooling, i would NOT get an aeronautical science degree. the in airlines only require you to have a bachelors degreeanything you want. choose business administration or engineering or something else more practical than the flight science degree. if your medical craps out or you cant get a job with the airlines, at least you have a degree to fall back on.

That may be true for the airlines themselves. FAR 61.160 gives a break to those who have at least a bachelor's degree with an aviation major...but that's an FAA requirement, not an airline requirement.

Bob Gardner

Whats up?

I have friends taking lessons at hortman. Feel free to PM me. They follow a strict syllabus and do not expect to get your license in 40-50 hours for $6000, or whatever they advertise. Both of my friends have 35+ hours with them and one is close to soloing, the other probably will with around 50 total hours. While it shouldn't be rushed, they have you do cross country flights and stage checks before moving to the next step.

I learned in a part 61 flying club, so my opinions are probably different than anyone who trained in a strict 141 program.

Mike

That may be true for the airlines themselves. FAR 61.160 gives a break to those who have at least a bachelor's degree with an aviation major...but that's an FAA requirement, not an airline requirement.

Bob Gardner

Yes and no, that's for the restricted ATP, not a full ATP.

If two applicants show up, guessing the full ATP gets the job.

Now if you want a degree just to get a degree (which seems silly to me) it doesn't require much, heck most online schools will credit "life experience" and let you test out of classes, degrees are not what they were a generation or so ago.

Please dont think because you get a degree your going to make huge bucks, it just aint the case, money goes with intellect and tenacity.

I agree with Wayne it's not many, but it is possible.
Not many people of any profession make enough to fly around in their own King Air or Citation. The combination of having the money and wanting to do it is pretty rare. You would need to be pretty successful no matter what field you chose.

Not many people of any profession make enough to fly around in their own King Air or Citation. The combination of having the money and wanting to do it is pretty rare. You would need to be pretty successful no matter what field you chose.

Agreed.

Being successful in anything depends upon the individuals wants and desires as well as motivation.

Pure speculation and BS.

I'm surprised you didn't recommend becoming a lawyer. That way he can charge huge amounts of money and have his secretary do all of his work.

Or better yet, convince a client that he has a case, get him pumped up and spending the big dollars and when you bleed him dry then tell him "you better just settle now and cut your losses".

+ 50000 !
We need to reduce litigation here and stop electing lawyers to run government.

Does Wayne own a Citation or a King Air ?

Pure speculation and BS.

Man, lawyers should come with a placard warning about that.

Pure speculation and BS.

Whatever - he wants to be a pilot - not a lawyer.

Why do you hate that career so much? I'm sorry you apparently had the experience mentioned in your second paragraph . . .. its obvious, the anger is dripping off your words.

If I took the $70,000 I paid for law school in 1982 and invested it in the S&P 500, and reinvested dividends that period, and never touched it except to rotate stocks in and out [since index funds did not exist back then] I would have $1,645,000 today . . . .

You tell me law school was better and I'd call you a liar.

If our pilot wannabe takes $60,000, and does the same thing for the last 40 years, he'd have $4,039,000 . . . . you tell me that working as a pilot generates that kind of money after 40 years . ..

Last edited:
If I took the $70,000 I paid for law school in 1982 and invested it in the S&P 500, and reinvested dividends that period, and never touched it except to rotate stocks in and out [since index funds did not exist back then] I would have $1,645,000 today . . . .

True, but you have to make a living in the interim years. And that also assumes you have the $70,000 up front. And $1,645,000 after 30 years is just under $55,000 a year. Not sure what your point actually is.

You tell me law school was better and I'd call you a liar.

If I understand your point, which apparently I do not, law school WOULD be better.

I guess that depends on what kind of law you practice.

If our pilot wannabe takes $60,000, and does the same thing for the last 40 years, he'd have $4,039,000 . . . . you tell me that working as a pilot generates that kind of money after 40 years . ..

Depends on who he gets hired by. Any major would generate that kind of income over 40 years.

Greg - I said become a plumber or someone with a low stress job to live in the interim - the airline pay scales today are trending down and are not keeping up with inflation . . .

You wanna be a pilot - cool. Do it.

You wanna be a lawyer - cool. Do it.

Neither are low stress jobs.

The point I'm making is that you should take the money you spend on training or college and invest it instead of spending it on college.

You will have a much better retirement . . .

Greg - I said become a plumber or someone with a low stress job to live in the interim

Ok. Didn't read the rest of the thread. And FWIW, I don't consider my job particularly stressful. It has its moments, but over all, not so much.

The point I'm making is that you should take the money you spend on training or college and invest it instead of spending it on college.

That only works if you HAVE the money to begin with.

You will have a much better retirement . . .

Well, maybe. A lot of variables to consider. But on the face of it, you might have a point.

Whatever - he wants to be a pilot - not a lawyer.

Why do you hate that career so much? I'm sorry you apparently had the experience mentioned in your second paragraph . . .. its obvious, the anger is dripping off your words.

Nope, I didn't have the experience.

And no anger, just pointing out that you don't have a clue as to which you speak about a career as a professional pilot.

Lets hope no one takes your advice on retirement planning. :rolleyes2:

Every [airline] pilot I speak with is constantly worried about merger, furlough, bankruptcy, incompetent management, crappy work rules etc etc = maybe its normal pilot byocthing but hey - my only problem is finding time to fly - I have client issues - sure - but really - I choose my clients now.

Work is a 4 letter word no matter what - but the airline business is hard on the body, hard on the mind, and fraught with financial risk. Those are probably the same things that attract people to it. . . .

Those of us who are not professional pilots can only draw the conclusion about the career from how people react to it and what we see in the world. Everyone in a career has the "they pay me to do this" moment - and even once in a while lawyers do too because sometimes - we do good.

It's always amused me that it seems that the people here who give the strongest cautionary advise against being a pilot for a career are those that aren't. I guess people who hated their pilots jobs wouldn't be hanging out on a pilot forum but still...

Whatever you choose there are going to be negatives. It's a job, after all. Also no one can predict what's going to happen in your working life that's probably going to be at least 30 years if not more, either to your profession or to you.

It's always amused me that it seems that the people here who give the strongest cautionary advise against being a pilot for a career are those that aren't. I guess people who hated their pilots jobs wouldn't be hanging out on a pilot forum but still...

Exactly!

That's why I keep this just for those occasions:

tooweaktofollowdreams.jpg

Whatever you choose there are going to be negatives. It's a job, after all. Also no one can predict what's going to happen in your working life that's probably going to be at least 30 years if not more, either to your profession or to you.

Again, exactly! Thank you.

Every [airline] pilot I speak with is constantly worried about merger, furlough, bankruptcy, incompetent management, crappy work rules etc etc = maybe its normal pilot byocthing but hey - my only problem is finding time to fly - I have client issues - sure - but really - I choose my clients now.

Work is a 4 letter word no matter what - but the airline business is hard on the body, hard on the mind, and fraught with financial risk. Those are probably the same things that attract people to it. . . .

Those of us who are not professional pilots can only draw the conclusion about the career from how people react to it and what we see in the world. Everyone in a career has the "they pay me to do this" moment - and even once in a while lawyers do too because sometimes - we do good.

I guess you haven't spoken to anyone at Delta or United or Southwest.

At the end of the day it isn't always about money. If it were I wouldn't be quitting my job and pursuing a career as a pilot.

But if you do decide that at the end of the day it is, then being a pilot probably isn't for you.

Back