intercom vox over-ride PTT - PFM?

Salty

Touchdown! Greaser!
Display Name

Display name:
Salty
My Nanchang has a nice feature where you can hit a second PTT button to over ride the Vox and talk over the intercom without vox. It's nice in a loud cockpit because you can basically turn the squelch so that Vox is off and not have the annoying hissing, and use the button when you want to talk.

But, I can't figure how how the heck it's wired up to work like it does. I have a SPA-400 intercom and the feature clearly works, but there's no indication on the intercoms wiring diagram how you would make it work that way. I have no idea where the button is wired up to. Trying to understand how it works. There are 3 wires coming off the switch, 1 is to ground, the other two, I have no idea where they go.

It might be a feature of your actual radio. The GNC250XL had a built-in PTT ICS. What radio do you have in the plane?

Maybe the switch tricks the intercom into believing you're transmitting on the radio, but simultaneously disconnects the mic audio from the radio. I can think of other variations on that theme.

The only problem with that scheme is that sidetone is (usually) generated inside the radio. So not keying the radio won't give you audio in the headphones.

It might be a feature of your actual radio. The GNC250XL had a built-in PTT ICS. What radio do you have in the plane?
BK KY 96A. I'll check out it's capabilities.

Yep, radio has intercom feature.

Screenshot_20240309-173840_Drive.jpg

Back