Intelligent NOTAM Decoding--Need your input!

EpicDraws

Pre-takeoff checklist
Display Name

Display name:
Derek
Hello PoA!

I am working on an intelligent NOTAM decoder, and wanted to share a VERY early version to get some pilot feedback.

http://takeoffaviationweather.com/full_notams?airports=KSFO+KSQL+KLAX&fdc=0

The main idea is to take NOTAMs and break them down into somewhat friendly text, and more importantly order them by risk. You'll see a closed runway right now will appear up top, where lighting going out of service in a week will appear lower down.

The goals are eventually:

• International NOTAM support (coming very soon)
  • Mapping of NOTAMs
  • Improved risk assessment for ordering
  • Android and iOS apps

Do you think this is useful? Which of those goals sounds most interesting to you? What are you using to check NOTAMs now?

Thanks!

I get NOTAMs as part of a weather briefing off DUATS. Already decoded and broken down by subject area.

I get NOTAMs as part of a weather briefing off DUATS. Already decoded and broken down by subject area.

Is there anything else you wish they did, or is the DUATS breakdown good in your eyes? Any use in something not requiring DUATS?

Just wanted to give a quick update. I have an iOS app (iPad and iPhone) out for review!

It will find all relevant NOTAMs, categorize them, and sort them by risk and importance, then color code. Here is a quick sneak peak: http://imgur.com/a/RnM7i ;)

When it gets approved, I'll give away some free review copies to interested folks :D

Looks interesting. I'd probably use it a bit. Keep up the good work! Hopefully it gets approved soon so we can get a copy to try!

Derek - looking forward to trying it out! I downloaded it and am having an issue with the app crashing on "Processing NOTAMs". It spins for 5-7 seconds then the app crashes. I'm on iOS 7 beta 3. Not sure if it's related to that, or that I'm in NYC and there are a ton of NOTAMs here constantly. It also seems to crash when searching for routes or airports anywhere else. Any thoughts?

Derek - looking forward to trying it out! I downloaded it and am having an issue with the app crashing on "Processing NOTAMs". It spins for 5-7 seconds then the app crashes. I'm on iOS 7 beta 3. Not sure if it's related to that, or that I'm in NYC and there are a ton of NOTAMs here constantly. It also seems to crash when searching for routes or airports anywhere else. Any thoughts?

What route are you trying? Let me try on iOS 6.1.3 to see if its an iOS 7 issue.

What route are you trying? Let me try on iOS 6.1.3 to see if its an iOS 7 issue.

I tried a few, KMCO-KORL, KSBA-KPSP, and just tried L09-KBTY (Death Valley area, probably few NOTAMs). All same results.

Thanks, giving it a try on multiple OS versions now.

Sent from my SCH-I545 using Tapatalk 4 Beta

OMG, I Love Takeoff Aviation Weather! It's so helpful! Thanks for making it! :)

Thoughts:

Color coding should be at least partially a user option. Maybe "Runway Closed" should always be red but lack of approach lights may not, for example, be of great concern to a VFR pilot. In other cases, things that are coded at lower alarm levels might be things that some pilots want in a higher category. "Glide Path out of service," for example.

The text should read left-to-right from the most important to the least important. So for example I would make "started 7 days ago ending in 28 days" into "ending in 28 days, started 7 days ago". Start times in the past are really not of much significance. This ordering is particularly important where the last part is hidden under the "[more]" button.

You might also consider condensing flagrantly unnecessary verbosity. For example, "FI/T SID SAN FRANCISCO INTL, SAN FRANCISCO, CA" could become "FI/T SID SFO." Similarly "Instrument Landing System" could safely become "ILS," thus improving signal-to-noise ratio and keeping less of the important stuff from hiding under the "[more]" button.

Thoughts:

Color coding should be at least partially a user option. Maybe "Runway Closed" should always be red but lack of approach lights may not, for example, be of great concern to a VFR pilot. In other cases, things that are coded at lower alarm levels might be things that some pilots want in a higher category. "Glide Path out of service," for example.

The text should read left-to-right from the most important to the least important. So for example I would make "started 7 days ago ending in 28 days" into "ending in 28 days, started 7 days ago". Start times in the past are really not of much significance. This ordering is particularly important where the last part is hidden under the "[more]" button.

You might also consider condensing flagrantly unnecessary verbosity. For example, "FI/T SID SAN FRANCISCO INTL, SAN FRANCISCO, CA" could become "FI/T SID SFO." Similarly "Instrument Landing System" could safely become "ILS," thus improving signal-to-noise ratio and keeping less of the important stuff from hiding under the "[more]" button.

Thanks for some awesome suggestions! This is just a start and will continue to improve. Please keep suggestions like this coming!

If we get enough interest, we will release an Android version. Get anyone interested to enter their email on the site and that will speed the process up.

Thoughts:

I removed some needless verbosity as suggested, and you will see that update immediately. I am going to reorder the times as well, but that, along with the iOS7 fix will take approval from Apple, which could be a week or more.

Keep them coming!

If we get enough interest, we will release an Android version. Get anyone interested to enter their email on the site and that will speed the process up.

I will second the motion for an Android version. It's only the #1 mobile OS in the world, for pete's sake... :rolleyes:

I will second the motion for an Android version. It's only the #1 mobile OS in the world, for pete's sake... :rolleyes:
Funny you say that. I often sit in the FBO waiting for students and such. It's hard not to notice that nearly ever pilot that walks in the door and out to the ramp has an iPad in their hand. I haven't even seen someone walk through with an Android tablet.

When it comes time to develop apps for pilots iOS is the clear winner to this day.

There is also a lot of data to suggest that in general iOS users will pay for software whereas Android users will not. In fact, most people I know with Android, will tell me that even after owning the device for years they've never paid for an application.

... iOS is the clear winner to this day.
Product development is a lot like duck hunting. If you point your gun at the duck and fire, he will be gone when the pellets get there. You have to lead the duck.

Android makes sense for developers for at least three reasons. First, it is and will continue to be the winner in overall hardware shipments. This attracts manufacturers and innovation. Specifically, when we finally get a sunlight-readable color e-ink display, it will appear first in an Android implementation. Such a machine will be nirvana for EFB applications.

Second, to enter the iThing market for aviation software today is to fight for table scraps. Anyone who wants a reasonable chance of getting double-digit share has much better prospects developing for Android. Better share, a growing market, ... what's not to like?

Finally, switching costs are low. Android hardware is cheap, the software is cheap, and software brand loyalty is low. How many here report running two or three of the current flight planners? iThings' percentage share of the total market for tablets running aviation apps can only decline from here. Switching costs might even be negative. I ditched my iPad 2 with its incompetent Apple software and got $400 for it. My N7/32GB/3G cost me $300 and it is a better machine. The aviation software for the N7 is not yet better (I differ with Jay on that), but I am confident that it will come.

... in general iOS users will pay for software whereas Android users will not ....
Even if that statement were not nonsense, which I think it is, it is irrelevant. Pilots have already demonstrated that they will pay for software and platform is irrelevant to that.

Funny you say that. I often sit in the FBO waiting for students and such. It's hard not to notice that nearly ever pilot that walks in the door and out to the ramp has an iPad in their hand. I haven't even seen someone walk through with an Android tablet.

When it comes time to develop apps for pilots iOS is the clear winner to this day.

There is also a lot of data to suggest that in general iOS users will pay for software whereas Android users will not. In fact, most people I know with Android, will tell me that even after owning the device for years they've never paid for an application.

Unfortunately, all this is true in my 6 years of mobile development experience. The Android landscape is changing for the better, but very slowly. There have been studies on the propensity for Android users to pay for apps (check out Distimo), and the picture is grim.

That said, I am an Android user, and of all demographics, pilots are a good one in that they understand things cost money, and they can generally respect peoples time who work on them.

I have the waiting list in place for this app on Android to protect my time. Once enough people are interested, I will slave away and build the very best Android app I can. I did that for Takeoff, and it made sense. The list for NOTAMs Decoder isn't there quite yet, but I hope it will be.

Lossy processing of information makes me nervous. I know this is done on several occasions. But NOTAMs are created by humans with intent of processing by humans. "Decoding" them can change their meanings.

I'd much prefer to get the raw text. NOTAMs can include safety critical information.

Lossy processing of information makes me nervous. I know this is done on several occasions. But NOTAMs are created by humans with intent of processing by humans. "Decoding" them can change their meanings.

I'd much prefer to get the raw text. NOTAMs can include safety critical information.

Absolutely valid concern, and one I share. The app does not attempt to paraphrase at all. It replaces known codings inline, and then uses our algorithm to rank them in order of our perceived importance. A pending update will allow you to suggest I change the priority, so over time, quality will increase for everyone.

The only limitation currently is international format NOTAMs are not yet supported, so those would be missing if you looked. That also will be addressed soon.

Just did a search for KMLI and the TFR is starting some time tomorrow, but didn't see a mention outside of "see FDC Notam" 4th on the list. My opinion, but that puppy should be top of the list with some [blinky]tags.

Just did a search for KMLI and the TFR is starting some time tomorrow, but didn't see a mention outside of "see FDC Notam" 4th on the list. My opinion, but that puppy should be top of the list with some [blinky]tags.

Thanks! I'll have an update coming out soon which will have an easy way to report things like this. Just need the Apple developer center to come back online after their big outage! :mad2:

Back