Integrity Update

spiderweb

Final Approach
Display Name

Display name:
Ben
Just thought I would let you know about how I was following through on my initial thoughts after getting the IR almost two years ago. It turns out that I am , thankfully, pretty much doing what I had said I would do. I have never been out of legal currency, and I always make sure that I have at least nine approaches when doing the "six-month lookback."

Meanwhile, when it is actually this low, I have kept my minimums rather high--1,000 feet for all approaches, or 500 feet above printed minimums, whichever is higher. I'm not a pro, and as much as I wish I flew more, I recognize that I don't fly as well as a pro.

Anyway, since I haven't been flying much, nearly every flight has been with an instructor. The flight two weeks ago was in the Trinidad, to get recurrent in that. We basically did everything on the BFR requirements list, and then we did an approach and hold. Tomorrow, I will fly with an instructor in a C172 and hopefully get in three or four approaches.

So, for whatever it is worth, there that is. :D

Ben, you need to get up to the level where you can safely carry, and treat well, a Cello. Then you will fly a LOT. Currency will cease to be an issue.

Just think of it this way: THEY ABUSE YOUR CELLO. That'll get you going. And the second seat for the instrument....it isn't cheap. Most of the time I break even with two aboard. You fly with two all the time.

Ben, you need to get up to the level where you can safely carry, and treat well, a Cello. Then you will fly a LOT. Currency will cease to be an issue.

Just think of it this way: THEY ABUSE YOUR CELLO. That'll get you going. And the second seat for the instrument....it isn't cheap. Most of the time I break even with two aboard. You fly with two all the time.
Sort of reminds me of the famed Far Side cartoon "Cow Tools".... the difference? I got that one :D

Ben,

In the interest of "integrity," do you think you're possibly hurting yourself by continually switching back and forth across several aircraft types? Seems to me you're wanting to get proficient with a travelling machine, so I'm not completely sure I see the benefit of switching back to the 172. Well, except to get cheaper loggable approaches, but for that a sim should be even cheaper.

Just thinking out loud....

-Rich

Nine approaches every 6 months is a pretty good amount of flying. Without knowing your total hours a year and what other kinds of flying you do, it's not possible to make any useful comments, but I'd say a couple things in general.

If a pilot wants to feel confident flying solo, pick one simple aircraft type and ditch the instructor. Fly often and challenge yourself. To get the IR, we all had to fly approaches to published minimums. Having higher personal minimums is fine, I think we all do that, but we could fly to minimums when we did our checkride so why not now? I'm just thinking your envelope has room to stretch.

LOL, I can see that I have misled again!

I really only fly three types of aircraft--saratoga, c172, and trinidad. It is only in the Trinidad that I feel a bit green. I do also feel comfortable flying in IMC and flying IFR, but I just prefer to have high minimums. Let's call it brain-fart protection, haha.

I like Dr. Bruce's comments. He's right on the money with my situation.

John, up until last year I was averaging about 90 hours per year. This year will probably be more on the order of 60.

I would like to get the comm instead of doing the BFR, but I have to make a decision fast, because the BFR is due by the end of July! :p

Sort of reminds me of the famed Far Side cartoon "Cow Tools".... the difference? I got that one :D
Now I get it (Duh!) Ben is a Cellist (Chelloist?). I recall when he took the IFR checkride. His avatar being gone threw me off :D.

I didn't go, but I am going tomorrow. I'm letting the remnants of Barry scoot by. I am going up with instructor, and I think this may turn out to be a truly kick-ass day because I may get some IMC!!!!!

Yuck. My back was still aching, so I had to reschedule. I'm up again on Friday. :D

I didn't go, but I am going tomorrow. I'm letting the remnants of Barry scoot by. I am going up with instructor, and I think this may turn out to be a truly kick-ass day because I may get some IMC!!!!!

Got 0.8 hours of actual during my lesson today. We hadn't planned on it, but that's the beauty of flying in the Pacific Northwe(s)t! Have fun.

Back