Insurance - quick quotes?

Taft

Filing Flight Plan
Display Name

Display name:
Taft
Hi all, I’m in the process of selling my airplane and stepping up to a family hauler. I’m finding it difficult to weigh options because of the time it takes to get an insurance quote.

When shopping for houses or cars it’s easy to go online and get a ballpark quote, but with airplanes it takes a week or two. I feel bad asking an agent to run a new quote every time I want to add a model to the list.

Is there a better way to get a general idea of price than to ask a broker to shop an actual quote every time I want to consider a new model?

An experienced broker should be able to ballpark you with a phone call. Give them your experience and your target makes, models and value and should be able give you the variables.

Spent 20 min on hold with AVEMCO today before getting an answering machine telling me to leave a message. Said they’re very busy currently.

On the positive side, they have awesome hold “music” — it’s ATC recordings (or maybe LiveATC).

Avemco has generally been great for me. Quick and very helpful when I had a plane lined up to purchase. Rates have been some of the best when I talk to other pilots too.
Oh, and the hold music is awesome!

Hi,

I just got coverage from AOPA Assured partners for a Cherokee 180 standard $1,000,000 / $100,000 liability with $60,000 in hull for $937. I'm a PPL with less than 100 hrs TT. (zero in type) I was told to expect a 5% discount if I have my Instrument rating by next renewal and some discount as I get more hours in type

Agent was Jeff Taylor (301) 732-8488

An experienced broker should be able to ballpark you with a phone call. Give them your experience and your target makes, models and value and should be able give you the variables.

I'll echo this. I've often been able to call my agent and get ballpark quotes based on similar quotes she's received recently. I imagine you have it narrowed down to a few models anyway, right?

Hi,

I just got coverage from AOPA Assured partners for a Cherokee 180 standard $1,000,000 / $100,000 liability with $60,000 in hull for $937. I'm a PPL with less than 100 hrs TT. (zero in type) I was told to expect a 5% discount if I have my Instrument rating by next renewal and some discount as I get more hours in type

Agent was Jeff Taylor (301) 732-8488

I have almost the same on a 82 Warrior with 60k coverage but one claim with two fatalities in the last five years and pay $1247.00…the Kid has less then 500 hrs but happy with the deal.

I have almost the same on a 82 Warrior with 60k coverage but one claim with two fatalities in the last five years and pay $1247.00…the Kid has less then 500 hrs but happy with the deal.
Is it the wording, or is it me? But maybe I don't need to know...

Avemco? They keep mailing me insurance offers and when I reply they say they don't insure in my zip code. Actually I am considering dropping all insurance since what really concerns me is PAX liability and $100,OO0/seat is a joke. (About the cost of an ingrown toenail treatment.) I no longer will carry passengers that are not in my will.

Is it the wording, or is it me? But maybe I don't need to know...
Another Airplane on a lease back, FAA Employee ATP probably committed suicide with his six year old daughter, who was intoxicated…anyway search N7430J and you probably find more info then you want…since I owned it I got ding for the loss and also the lawsuits that are ongoing.

Avemco? They keep mailing me insurance offers and when I reply they say they don't insure in my zip code. Actually I am considering dropping all insurance since what really concerns me is PAX liability and $100,OO0/seat is a joke. (About the cost of an ingrown toenail treatment.) I no longer will carry passengers that are not in my will.

Won't insure in your zip code? As in redlining? Have you asked them to explain this?

Won't insure in your zip code? As in redlining? Have you asked them to explain this?
I think the reason is my hangar is 6 miles from the Mexican border and a C-210 is a target airplane. Actually I guess I support redlining since I support a free market. If the insurance company thinks the risk is too high I feel that's their right not to insure.

Back