insurance loss

magyarflyer

Pre-Flight
Display Name

Display name:
magyarflyer
question for the wise:

if you have an accident and the airplane has an expired registration does the insurance policy covers the loss?

Probably no.

Something about ARROW comes to mind. And one of them thar R's is Registration so the plane was not being operated properly at time of loss and insurance says "read your policy"

What will be interesting in this thread? Are you subject to Insurance denial, or certificate action?

I'm sure they'll try their best not to.

Probably no.

Something about ARROW comes to mind. And one of them thar R's is Registration so the plane was not being operated properly at time of loss and insurance says "read your policy"

What will be interesting in this thread? Are you subject to Insurance denial, or certificate action?

neither just worried about insurance rates after similar airplane recently crashed with expired registration

The insurance company will likely question why the aircraft was flying with expired registration, thus voiding any payoff. Check your policy, you might get lucky.

The real question is, why did you let the registration expire?

While insurers spend lots of money on advertising to tell you what a great company they are, some people are still unaware that their primary purpose is to avoid paying your claim.

:D

most good company's would pay if they did not they would try to use the unairworthy clause .{ most ia's i know have that on there inspection checklist} . but i know of no case-law to support this theory. would have to read policy definition of airworthy . some contracts state clearly that they will cover you if you forget your annual date they will still pay so in that case i think you could get them to pay if registration was recently out of date.

I've had two insurance claims and two different companies. I don't recall sending much of anything to the company on the first claim.
The recent claim I sent the last page of my log book and the page with my last BFR along with my pilot certificate and the page with the annual from my airplane logbook.
They weren't particularly interested in the registration or airworthiness certificate.
They did want my driver's license (I suspect for identity reasons more than anything else).

I've had two insurance claims and two different companies. I don't recall sending much of anything to the company on the first claim.
The recent claim I sent the last page of my log book and the page with my last BFR along with my pilot certificate and the page with the annual from my airplane logbook.
They weren't particularly interested in the registration or airworthiness certificate.
They did want my driver's license (I suspect for identity reasons more than anything else).

Probably because that stuff can be verified online.

Its the same with your car. Would your insurance pay if the plates were expired? Unless it's excluded, it's covered, (usually)

They'll probably just Rat you out to the FAA and state/local registration entity. LOL. In addition to whats written in the policy, State insurance Laws could be a factor. Some States laws prevent denial of claims based on "policy violations" if the violation had nothing to do with the incident that caused the claim. Unlike not being in annual, BFR, Medical or something that actually has an impact on the airworthiness of the airplane or pilot, I wouldn't think that they could play the Not Registered Card. Uh, change that from not playing it to getting away with it.

I just went through this. My insurance company wanted copies of the registration, airworthiness certificate, logbook entry showing last annual, my certificate, my medical, and my logbook entry showing my last flight review.

You can bet your bottom dollar that had any of that been expired or otherwise not in order my claim would have been denied.

Last edited:
I am not believing the 'all claims denied without that piece of paper' so I emailed my agent about it, here is what my company's view is (and my guess is there is a certain uniformity among companies)

"There is no wording in your policy pertaining to the registration, only the airworthiness.
With that said, if there is a loss involving a mechanical failure that has absolutely nothing to do with the expired registration, they would have a hard time denying the claim.
I know for certain that Global Aerospace has no wording in their policy that requires the airworthiness certificate to be valid and was advised by them that they did that on purpose to avoid having to deny a claim for such. " verbatim quote except underline mine

You can bet your bottom dollar that had any of that been expired or otherwise not in order my claim would have been denied.
Why would it be denied? Did your accident have something to do with the registration? People seem to think that insurance companies have some sort of kings ex to not pay out on claims for reasons that have nothing to do with the loss. Usually that is not the case unless there's a specific condition on the policy.

Nothing more than my gut since you'd be in violation of the FARs if you were operating the aircraft when the accident occurred. If none of these documents matter then why request them after a claim is filed!

Nothing more than my gut since you'd be in violation of the FARs if you were operating the aircraft when the accident occurred.
If insurance claims were denied because you violated a FAR, then there would be no point in buying insurance.

Back