Instrument Written Test...Notes?

VWGhiaBob

Line Up and Wait
Display Name

Display name:
VWGhiaBob
New at this...taking King Course...question...

What can I bring into my FAA IFR Written Test? Can I bring my own notes?

Can I bring FAR / AIM, or do they give me whatever charts and reference materials I need?

Last edited:
Don't know first hand but suspect you can't bring notes. Been ill all day, but finished 3 modules of King IR knowledge test today.

Picture ID
Logbook signed by CFII authorizing you to take the exam
$150 or 140 cash preferred

Nothing else.

You can bring in a plotter, a old style E6B or one of the aviation equivalents if you can show you cleared it's memory.

Lasergrade at least has a pretty decent electronic e6b built into the testing software.

you can bring the same stuff you brought for your PPL. pencils, e6b, calculator, plotter, money and an ID

LOL, you forgot..."Can I bring my CFII in there with me..." :)

Same procedure for all the tests as far as I know. When I took my PPL written a dude came in to take the ATP written. All he had was his ID.

An ID and cash is usually all you really need.

you can bring the same stuff you brought for your PPL. pencils, e6b, calculator, plotter, money and an ID
And no cell phones, even a dumb one, also when I took it they video tape it, not sure if that's standard or not.

And no cell phones, even a dumb one, also when I took it they video tape it, not sure if that's standard or not.
I dunno if they're taping tests but I do know there's a camera set up to monitor the test if the test site is unable to have someone in the test center during the exam. Eith the camera, someone outside the test area can watch the exam and make sure there's no cheating.

This is one reason the cost of the exams skyrocketed - the requirement to monitor the exam.

From FAA Order 8080.6F:
6. Use of Aids, Reference Materials, and Test Materials. [FONT=Times New Roman,Times New Roman][FONT=Times New Roman,Times New Roman]The applicant may use aids, reference materials, and test materials within the guidelines listed below, as long as actual test questions or answers are not revealed. All models of aviation-oriented calculators may be used, including small electronic calculators that perform only arithmetic functions (add, subtract, multiply, and divide). Simple programmable memories (which allow addition to, subtraction from, or retrieval of one number from the memory) are permissible. Also, simple functions, such as square root and percent keys, are permissible. The following guidelines apply:
[/FONT]
[/FONT]a. Written Materials. [FONT=Times New Roman,Times New Roman][FONT=Times New Roman,Times New Roman]Applicants for airman knowledge tests may not take any written materials (either handwritten, printed, or electronic) other than the supplement book provided by the unit member into the testing area.
The unit member is responsible for ensuring, when applicable, that the applicant receives the correct supplement book to be used during the knowledge test. The unit member must discard outdated, incomplete, or damaged supplement books, and must obtain replacement supplement books as necessary.
[/FONT]
[/FONT]b. Test Materials. [FONT=Times New Roman,Times New Roman][FONT=Times New Roman,Times New Roman]Applicants may use scales, straightedges, protractors, plotters, navigation computers, blank log sheets, holding pattern entry aids, and electronic or mechanical calculators that are directly related to the test.
[/FONT]
[/FONT]c. Manufacturers’ Aids. [FONT=Times New Roman,Times New Roman][FONT=Times New Roman,Times New Roman]Manufacturers’ permanently inscribed instructions on the front and back of such aids (e.g., formulas, conversions, regulations, signals, weather data, holding pattern diagrams, frequencies, Weight and Balance (W&B ) formulas, and air traffic control (ATC) procedures) are permissible.
[/FONT]
[/FONT]d. Calculators. [FONT=Times New Roman,Times New Roman][FONT=Times New Roman,Times New Roman]Testing centers may provide calculators to applicants and/or deny applicants’ use of their personal calculators based on the following limitations.
(1) Before and upon completion of the test, while in the presence of the unit member, the applicant must actuate the "ON/OFF" switch or "RESET" button and perform any other function that ensures the erasure of any data stored in memory circuits.
(2) The use of electronic calculators incorporating permanent or continuous type memory circuits without erasure capability is prohibited. The unit member may refuse the use of the applicant’s calculator when unable to determine the calculator’s erasure capability.
(3) Printouts of data must be surrendered at the completion of the test if the calculator incorporates this design feature.
(4) The use of magnetic cards, magnetic tapes, modules, computer chips, or any other device upon which pre-written programs or information related to the test can be stored and retrieved is prohibited.
[/FONT]
[/FONT][FONT=Times New Roman,Times New Roman][FONT=Times New Roman,Times New Roman](5) The applicant is not permitted to use any booklet or manual containing instructions related to the use of test aids.
[/FONT]
[/FONT]e. Dictionaries. [FONT=Times New Roman,Times New Roman][FONT=Times New Roman,Times New Roman]Dictionaries are not allowed in the testing area.
[/FONT]
[/FONT]f. Final Decision. [FONT=Times New Roman,Times New Roman][FONT=Times New Roman,Times New Roman]The unit member makes the final determination regarding aids, reference materials, and test materials an applicant may take into the testing area [/FONT][/FONT]
If it's not on the list, you can't take it into the testing room.

Well shoot... I guess 6.d.4 is gonna keep me from using this during the exam....

Ron... does 6.c. say that a plastic or laminated card with all of the "IFR Kneeboard" crib notes would be permitted in the exam room?

Ron... does 6.c. say that a plastic or laminated card with all of the "IFR Kneeboard" crib notes would be permitted in the exam room?
No. It says the instructions on your E-6B are legal. There's no requirement for a kneeboard to do any of the tasks on the written.

Back