Instrument Written Question Thread

I also take the ground track from the GPS into consideration.

That assumes facts not in evidence. Like, there is a GPS on board the aircraft. The C-182 I'm doing my IR in has no such modern conveniences. All steam gauges. Now, the new vertical card compass we put in last year does help, but it is a royal pain under the hood. I really have to tilt my head way up to see it (and then that defeats the whole idea of the hood or foggles as I can see out the windscreen, as well :p ).

Primary, supporting. Bah! Humbug! Guess I need to go back and start studying for the written again. Get that knocked out while waiting to start the process to get my medical back.

The worst question on the test so far in my opinion:

The gyrosopic heading indicator is inoperative. What is the primary bank instrument in unaccelerated straight-and-level flight?

a) Magnetic compass
b) Miniature aircraft of turn coordinator
c) Attitude indicator

FAA Answer: A

Thanks--but no thanks FAA.

I've been think'n on that one for a while and don't get it at all...

Any one got a clue they can share?

If the compass changes over after a minute or so, you must have been banked???

Back in the olden days it was "needle, ball, and airspeed" - nothing about the compass...

I've been think'n on that one for a while and don't get it at all...

Any one got a clue they can share?

If the compass changes over after a minute or so, you must have been banked???

Back in the olden days it was "needle, ball, and airspeed" - nothing about the compass...
I think the idea is that the turn coordinator won't give you heading indication so you might be changing heading slightly over time--whereas the magnetic compass will let you know if you're changing heading.

That said, I much prefer to use the turn coordinator in that situation and use the magnetic compass as a reference to correct heading if I'm drifting.

ya definatley go with b in the real world

This one got me head scratching too, and doing all sorts of mental gymnastics - until remembered this simple thing from high school physics or chemistry: pressure is proportional to temperature (or for the mathematically-minded: PV=nRT).

So, as temperature goes up, pressure goes up. Higher pressure would show up on your altimeter as lower altitude. The answer is B.

Morale of the story - don’t try to overthink the question!

Let me rethink that....

29.92--Pressure drops to 28.92. That will be a thousand foot change... Altimeter will indicate a thousand feet lower... So you're flying higher then it indicates.

Do I have that backwards?

I didn't read all of the responses but here is your problem. You are looking at it backwards. When pressure goes DOWN the indicator reads HIGHER. (The higher you fly, the less pressure there is.) That's what messed with you on the original question. Answer A is wrong because it's backwards. That only leaves B and C. Warmer air is less dense so B is correct.

Psssst.... @lancie00..... look at the date of the first post.

@jesse is very much beyond this now... and is known as the crazy instructor who hopped on a motorcycle to travel from Kansas (or was it Nebraska?) to New Braunfels, TX, to provide primary instruction to a then very inspired teen (David White) who is now a successful aviator in his own right.

The worst question on the test so far in my opinion:

Thanks--but no thanks FAA.

According to the FAA's written test update in Oct 2017, the primary and supporting questions have been removed.

upload_2019-8-5_19-21-37.png

Back