Instrument Written Passed

Kitch

Pre-takeoff checklist
Display Name

Display name:
Kitch
Passed with an 85 on Friday afternoon was hoping to be in the 90's, but 85 will work.
Definitely more difficult than the ppl written. After tomorrows lesson I should have 10 hours under the hood. It's challenging and exciting all at the same time.

TidyPalatableHamadryad-size_restricted.gif

I agree it's a much harder test than pp. I got a better grade on it than my private, but I also studied a lot harder.

Congrats on the progress. Ifr is super satisfying to me. Tickles my brain.

Congrats. I found everything about ifr training harder lol! Keep pushing!

Do you think that the DPE's line of questioning during the oral changes based on your written score? I ask because I was studying for the written through a Gleim online school (did not complete), and then took a weekend class thinking I could cram to get it out of the way should I want to do an accelerated training. I'll be very open here and say that I decided to take the exam, but did not know my approach plates very well, so many of those questions were skipped over. To my surprise taking the exam this way scored me a 73. I've shifted gears and now working with a CFII going through training, and will start studying again. Should I retake the exam to show a higher score. I am thinking that I answered questions correctly, but not many of the plate questions.

…Should I retake the exam to show a higher score…
No. Spend the time and money actually learning the material.

If you don’t already have the IRA ACS, download a free copy. Every area clearly states the knowledge requirement for that Area and Task. Then flip to Appendices at the back. You’ll be amazed at what you’ll find there.

My intent was to study to the level I need to be for the oral and the flying part too. I spent the money for the weekend course and pretty much wasted my money, and the money for taking the test. The instructor told us to take the test and that we would be surprised. Well I was I actually passed without looking at the plates. I was curious to know what the DPE would think.

Depends on the DPE. You'll probably be quizzed more on the topics you missed, but you need to know them anyway. And as you have several items that were missed, you'll also have to have your CFII sign off that he/she reviewed each of those missed sections and you're good for the check ride.

Take the test again? If your pride gets in the way, then I suppose hit the books again with the GoldSeal and/or Kings and/or Sportys and see if you can improve. (BTW - I used Gleim for PPL and using it now for Commercial - I like their approach. I used Kings and GoldSeal for IFR).

If it were me, I would skip retaking it.

You know what they call a guy who got an IFR rating with a written test score of 75 vs a guy with a written test score of 100?

Instrument Pilot

Back