Instrument Written Passed - Write Up (VERY long-winded)

kjwalker01

Pre-takeoff checklist
Display Name

Display name:
Keith
So, I passed my IRA Written today with a score of an 85. I'm very satisfied with this score and I wanted to pass on my experience, just in case it's of value to someone.

I started flying in 1987, when I was 17. Good luck with the math on that one! As expected, I had all the time in the world, but no money, but managed to solo before running out of money. Joined the Air Force, got married, a few kids, and all of a sudden it's late 2001 and I got the bug again. I finished my PPL and flew for about a year before getting a job traveling. So, suddenly I have the the opposite problem of having some money, but not enough time, especially with younger children.

Flash forward to 2013, one kid in HS and another in College (Go Razorbacks! Not really, but she'd kill me if I said otherwise), and I'm 4 years into owning my own business. Starting to make money, and I get the bug again, if for no other reason than to be able to fly up to see her from Dallas on a regular basis. So, in late 2013 I started working on my instrument with an instructor. He's very good, with a good reputation, but made it clear that passing the written was my problem. He recommended a weekend crash-course at American Flyers, but I figured that I would do it on my own. No problem, right?

Umm... no so much.

First, I purchased the ASA Instrument Course. More accurately, I got SOLD the ASA Course. Not terrible, but 12(ish) hours of videos just didn't cut it. I felt extremely unprepared, so I purchased the King Instrument Program. Good info, but watching Martha age 40 years between segments is a bit disconcerting. I get through it, but still feel totally unprepared for the written, so I tried Sheppard Air.

Now, I like their program, and I fought through it for about 6 months, but ultimately, I just couldn't do the self-study with the distractions of the business. So, I decided to do the weekend American Flyers course, just like the one my CFI recommended in the first place.

This was a very grueling class, with about 28 hours of classroom time over 3 days, plus homework. I took a 4 day weekend so that I could finish the class, then do the test on the 4th day, which is what I did. I woke up this morning, did 3 practice exams, ate lunch, then headed the testing center. I got there a little early, studied in a classroom for About 20 min, then headed in to do the actual exam.

I was pretty sure I passed it, and was only thrown off by about 5 questions, but I was definitely nervous headed to the counter to get my score. In the end, it was probably 85% American Flyers, 15% Sheppard, but I'm glad I did both. Ultimately, I wanted to learn something beyond just enough to pass the exam, and I definitely feel that I achieved that. Did I spend more than most? Probably, but I feel I am a better pilot for it. I was very impressed by the program at American Flyers.

Now, back to the flying part!!!!

Congrats ,now it's time for the fun part,get out and start flying.

Congratulations, the instrument written is sure harder than the private written but still just a lot of information that one needs to know anyway so it's not that bad. :)
Glad to see another home-study student pass with a decent grade. Our local schools keep pushing hard for long and expensive ground schools so passing the written after home study feels great. :)

Back