Instrument Training

PilotRPI

Line Up and Wait
Display Name

Display name:
PilotRPI
A couple lessons into my instrument training and I have to say I am enjoying it much more than I thought I would. I was looking at it as just a necessity, and thought I wouldn't enjoy it as much, but just the opposite. I love the mechanical nature of it, and the whole new set of challenges compared to VFR flying. I also enjoy all the mental math and analysis that goes into interpreting gauges, figuring out position from VORs, planning ahead, etc.

I'm training in an old 172 with a VOR/GS and another VOR. My first lesson I was blown away by how much more pressure you feel with something as simple as turn and change altitude to specific points while under the hood. Can't wait to really get into the system with multiple instructions. I already have a bunch of local approaches picked out for my three difference types of approaches.

Jesse, glad you are starting that! I find IFR the most fun flying. I love the mental aspect of it and the structure of flying in the system. Once you are done you will be way more confident going further giving you way more options getting there/home.

I learned without a GPS- makes you a better instrument pilot and you will feel like you are cheating if you ever do get a 430 or the like.

You and @UngaWunga should try to get together. I know he is starting work on his instrument too. You guys can shoot approaches together and log the time and learn from each other.

I'm scheduled to take my Commercial checkride on Thursday (wx dependent), but after that Mr. Wunga and I are supposed to fly some approaches to keep me current. We can fly down your way if want to meetup and talk some IFR stuff. Also I would recommend a subscription to IFR magazine. They really highlight a lot of different aspects of IFR flying and gives you weird situations, etc that help really understand the system.

Good luck and let me know if I can help with anything!

For instrument proficiency, how many hours of practice and how often would be a minimum to stay barely proficient? I suspect I wouldn't get enough flying hours in to justify getting the rating. Anyone else in this boat? I wouldn't want all of my flying to be used up practicing for the sake of practice. I suppose you could always get it and let it atrophy but are you really adding much if anything in that case?(by getting it)

I guess my question is how much time does it take to do:
1) minimum hours required for legal recency, what is the average time required to satisfy the regs.
2) minimum required for practical proficiency (I assume this would be higher than 1, and a personal preference).

For instrument proficiency, how many hours of practice and how often would be a minimum to stay barely proficient? I suspect I wouldn't get enough flying hours in to justify getting the rating. Anyone else in this boat? I wouldn't want all of my flying to be used up practicing for the sake of practice. I suppose you could always get it and let it atrophy but are you really adding much if anything in that case?(by getting it)

1) minimum hours required for legal recency, what is the average time required to satisfy the regs.
2) minimum required for practical proficiency (I assume this would be higher than 1, and a personal preference).
The answer to both questions is "depends."

As said, it depends. And even once you get the rating it's important to stay current.

You'll quickly find that those dreary 1000 ft overcast days with just some mist and no convection will quickly be some of your most favorite conditions (when as a VFR pilot that's basically a no go). You'll just go fly a short little flight with some approaches. Fun but also key to staying current and keeping the skills sharp. There's no substitute for actual IMC.

Like @jordane93 says, it really depends.

I was falling out of legal currency the end of last month. Right before I was out of it there was a good IFR day. I went up and shot 6 approaches- 2 to an airport 10 mi away from me and all 4 at my home drone. 1 of the approaches I did a HILPT. About 1 hr time I was fully legally current for another 6 months. It is pretty easy to satisfy the regs in about 1-1.5 hrs every six months.

As far as proficiency goes is where it really depends- what plane is it, am I confident in flying with it? How bad is the wx, to mins or just a thin layer? When was the last time I flew IMC? Is the family aboard or just myself?

No easy answer on that one

I was falling out of legal currency the end of last month. Right before I was out of it there was a good IFR day. I went up and shot 6 approaches- 2 to an airport 10 mi away from me and all 4 at my home drone. 1 of the approaches I did a HILPT. About 1 hr time I was fully legally current for another 6 months. It is pretty easy to satisfy the regs in about 1-1.5 hrs every six months.

As far as proficiency goes is where it really depends- what plane is it, am I confident in flying with it? How bad is the wx, to mins or just a thin layer? When was the last time I flew IMC? Is the family aboard or just myself?

Good info, thanks.

I'm planning my long instrument cross country (KTUS - KPSP) this weekend weather permitting. Gotta make sure those nose pieces on my foggles are comfy.

I only got my IR because my wife wanted me to do so. Turns out I like flying IFR way more than VFR. (Although, I can't say I'm terribly fond of hard IMC.)

I've only had my rating for 8 months, but even in sunny California, I haven't had a problem keeping current. Most months, I've made at least a few flights where I had to shoot an approach down through a layer. If I don't, then I make a conscious effort to either seek out some actual to play in, or go up with a friend as safety pilot. The hard part is the hold. I rarely get them. That's what I usually have to fly with a safety pilot.

My PPL instructor suggested that it's easier to just go up with a CFII for an IPC once every 6 months, regardless of whether or not I've managed to maintain currency. An hour on the ground, an hour in the air, all done. And for only about $100 (plus whatever gas I burn). I'll likely go that route. If for no other reason than I kinda like it when my CFII covers up instruments. (As does he.)

In MI I used to do that, not every 6 months, but every time the conditions were right and I could get away. I wouldn't fly all 6 approaches at one time, usually 3 only or 4, but I was able to do it often enough to stay both current AND proficient. It can be done IF you live in a part of the country that has flyable IFR conditions often enough.

Unfortunately, here in VT that kind of weather is much less common. As a rule it's either socked in 0/0, or the right temperature for ice at the altitudes you need to fly at. You really need to seize the opportunity when it arises, and I haven't found it possible here to stay current by myself, much less proficient. :(

I've posted it before and will post it again -- "Currency goes in the logbook -Proficiency keeps you alive." Only you can answer the proficiency requirement. Buddy-up with another pilot to be a safety pilot if you can't get any actual. Instrument proficiency needs care and feeding. It's not something you can do safely without practice. Lots of practice.

I've posted it before and will post it again -- "Currency goes in the logbook -Proficiency keeps you alive." Only you can answer the proficiency requirement. Buddy-up with another pilot to be a safety pilot if you can't get any actual. Instrument proficiency needs care and feeding. It's not something you can do safely without practice. Lots of practice.

Yep. There can be a big difference between being current and being proficient.

A couple lessons into my instrument training and I have to say I am enjoying it much more than I thought I would. I was looking at it as just a necessity, and thought I wouldn't enjoy it as much, but just the opposite. I love the mechanical nature of it, and the whole new set of challenges compared to VFR flying. I also enjoy all the mental math and analysis that goes into interpreting gauges, figuring out position from VORs, planning ahead, etc.

I'm training in an old 172 with a VOR/GS and another VOR. My first lesson I was blown away by how much more pressure you feel with something as simple as turn and change altitude to specific points while under the hood. Can't wait to really get into the system with multiple instructions. I already have a bunch of local approaches picked out for my three difference types of approaches.

Keep up the good mental attitude... there will be some frustrating days/lessons... don't let them get you down.. Put them way and get back after it the next day. If I can recommend get the 5 T engraved into you grey matter now...

Yeah, hit me up if you want to split foggle flying time.

Will do! About to go on vacation for a week, but plan on flying regularly starting early July.

Back