Instrument Training on Flight Reviews

poadeleted20

Deleted
Three times this year I've been presented with an IR trainee who has gone more than 10 years without one minute of logged instrument training despite having had a flight review signed off every 24 months. Invariably, these folks have been unable to maintain control of the aircraft under the hood within Private Pilot standards, and can't recover from an unusual attitude even with full panel. Am I the only CFI left in the world who won't sign off a flight review without the trainee demonstrating the ability to perform the Four Fundamentals, track a VOR/GPS, and recover from an unusual attitude under instrument flight conditions (actual or simulated)?

I don't think so. Just happens to be a bunch out there who think a BFR that consists of a cup of coffee and a signature is actually doing someone a favor.

Three times this year I've been presented with an IR trainee who has gone more than 10 years without one minute of logged instrument training despite having had a flight review signed off every 24 months. Invariably, these folks have been unable to maintain control of the aircraft under the hood within Private Pilot standards, and can't recover from an unusual attitude even with full panel. Am I the only CFI left in the world who won't sign off a flight review without the trainee demonstrating the ability to perform the Four Fundamentals, track a VOR/GPS, and recover from an unusual attitude under instrument flight conditions (actual or simulated)?

No, you're not. At least 20 minutes under the hood with at least the tasks you mentioned, for both VFR & IFR pilots is, and always has been, mandatory from me. I've seen them struggle but, all have succeded.

I agree. VFR only or IR out of currency to the point of needing an IPC and it's 0.3 of hood time doing the private pilot maneuvers.

If they are IR we need at least one approach or an appointment for an IPC.

joe

Am I the only CFI left in the world who won't sign off a flight review without the trainee demonstrating the ability to perform the Four Fundamentals, track a VOR/GPS, and recover from an unusual attitude under instrument flight conditions (actual or simulated)?
No, you're not.

I've had similar experiences. I had a pilot who I put under the hood during a FR and I didn't have to create an unusual attitude. He went into one from straight and level without prompting.

I went years using the wings program and new tickets, but I've now had 2 bfrs in the last 4 years, and I don't think I wore a hood in either one.

Maybe because I've been IFR current in both cases.

I had my first BFR ever a couple of months ago. We were definitely under the hood for about an hour, but that was, of course, because I also requested to do practice approaches and holds. We did do unusual attitudes while under the hood, and I have to say that I'm glad we did that. I hesitated a couple of seconds before correcting for a descending left turn. I was quite surpirsed at myself. I knew what attitude we were in, but there was just a moment where I thought about what to do with the throttle--probably just a second, but not the instant reaction I would have had before. Well, I got that back with more practice, and this is why we do these reviews.

I haven't even started IR training, but on every FR (I get them more than bi-annually) I specifically ask for hood time.

My last VFR BFR included hood time and recovery from unusual attitudes. It was pretty much a mini-checkride as the BFR was with a flight examiner.

My last BFR didn't involve any hood time but maybe it was because it was the same CFII that I had recently done an IPC with.

For my last flight review, I had to specifically ask for: some hood time, steep turns, stalls, and engine out work. Admittedly, the CFII was just out of college and the ink on his certificate was still wet. I was using the excuse of a flight review to figure out if I wanted to be his first paying student.

I'll give him credit, he was a good instructor in the plane, just very green when it came to having some kind of plan for those things that fall outside of the standard progression for earning a PPL or an instrument rating. It was unfortunate that he was just marking time until an ATC spot opened up -- I learned a lot during the 10 lessons I had from him.

Bruce

Back