Instrument syllabus?

Jeanie

Pattern Altitude
Display Name

Display name:
Jeanie
Whose syllabus do you use? Jeep, Ralph butcher, machado, sportys.... Something I've never heard of?
Not much point in my reinventing a wheel.

If you're new to IFR instructing, creating your own might be a good educational exercise. I use the one developed by my company. It includes lots of handouts and by the time the training is completed, the student has a nice notebook summaring his/her training.

- Russ

Bob Gardner had some good comments on the Red Board about a fellow ASA author Arlynn McMahon and her scenario based instruction method. He'll likely be by with additional input here.

http://www.asa2fly.com/search2.aspx?keywords=arlynn mcmahon

(note: I have not read these books, but the follow on comments on the red board were positive)

I use my own, which is based on Jeppesen, and I try to stay quite flexible. I consider a syllabus a loose guide - not an absolute plan.

Reality is that student needs, conditions, and a ton of other factors will cause you to divert from it.

The last few flights before a checkride are really based more on the PTS and the student's needs then the syllabus.

Bob Gardner had some good comments on the Red Board about a fellow ASA author Arlynn McMahon and her scenario based instruction method. He'll likely be by with additional input here.

http://www.asa2fly.com/search2.aspx?keywords=arlynn mcmahon

(note: I have not read these books, but the follow on comments on the red board were positive)
And there's a syllabus to go along with her book now (lesson plans and such).

I don't THINK it covers the instrument rating but it's still useful.

Jeannie, you'll probably beat me to the double-I, but I can recommend Machado's Instrument Pilot Survival Manual. It's a good read and will probably give you lots of stuff to throw in your -IA teaching material.

Whose syllabus do you use? Jeep, Ralph butcher, machado, sportys.... Something I've never heard of?
Not much point in my reinventing a wheel.

Check PMs

Great everyone. Thanks for the info. I have Arlynn's teach like you fly book. It is good.
And I have a machado DVD on instrument stuff...

I understand that a syllabus is a guideline much like a trellis for a climbing vine. But Id like to start with one that's good to at least have that as a fundamental starting point.

I'm really not interested in making my own

And I don't think instrument training lends itself to FITS stuff till you get to flying approaches and enroute stuff... There are some first steps that have to happen before

And I don't think instrument training lends itself to FITS stuff till you get to flying approaches and enroute stuff... There are some first steps that have to happen before
ERAU, MTSU, and UND have been very successful applying FITS to both integrated PP/IR and standalone courses. The hard part is developing the syllabus, which is probably beyond the resources of the average independent CFI.

How can you fit "patterns A. B. and C". into FITS? That's what I meant by some of the basics just being fundamental practice work.

How can you fit "patterns A. B. and C". into FITS? That's what I meant by some of the basics just being fundamental practice work.
While the A/B/C-patterns can be very useful for teaching basic instrument flying, there are plenty of ways to do that besides those patterns, such as using published procedures. One of the problems with implementation of FITS is the constrained thinking of may instructors brought up on the historic method of maneuver-based training. Once those mental barriers are broken down, and imagination takes over, FITS becomes an opportunity, not a straight-jacket -- thinking outside the box, and all that. Yes, it's a lot more work to develop a good situationally-based training program, but research suggests the result is pilots better able to deal with real-world flight operations than maneuver-based training produces.

Well, I'm left handed and have a tendency to think outside the box once I'm thoroughly comfortable with it's basic contents. So this training will be good for me. :)

Jeannie, you'll probably beat me to the double-I, but I can recommend Machado's Instrument Pilot Survival Manual. It's a good read and will probably give you lots of stuff to throw in your -IA teaching material.

I'm a recent instrument pilot, but I've had Machado's book for several years. I highly recommend it as it covers material from a different viewpoint. His method for using the DG to figure out a hold entry is really great for visualizing it.

Back