Instrument Self-Study - Endorsement requirement

So, once one gets an online endorsement, where does one go and apply to take the written test? Are they scheduled at predetermined intervals or simply upon request? How long after a request is typical to get scheduled for the written?

Your CFII

In my case this is the only time I have ever been "pencil whipped". He took my word that I was ready for the exam, and signed the back of my logbook endorsing me for the test.

Once you get a ways into your training, just tell your instructor you have been studying and would like to be signed off to take the written. If he asks you to take a practice exam, that is reasonable. You should not have to jump through any more hoops than that however

My PPL, IR,and Comm were all "pencil whipped" by the same CFI. I don't think he's ever had anyone fail a written. My general rule is to give my own student's the benefit of the doubt and just sign them off. If someone I didn't know were to walk in and ask for an endorsement, I'd probably ask for 2 practice tests with a score of atleast 80%.

In short, I leave the real judgement for the test that matters-the practical and beyond (and I don't take that role lightly)....well, atleast in theory-I don't have any checkride signoff's yet:D

Last edited:
Their concern was more that someone who didn't know diddley would get lucky and pass it without knowing anything.
Does that really matter though? If the same guy went ahead and started training and still decided not to learn the stuff it's not like he would actually make it through the training. An FAA written is a very weak indicator of one's knowlege and is quite frankly a waste of time and money (if the FAA were to get rid of it and instead give a longer/more thorough oral, I wouldn't cry...)

Just guessing here but the requirement for an endorsement probably originated when the FAA used to administer the tests free and this cut down on the amount of tests/retests they had to do.

With the tests costing $150 or more now I doubt many students would go to take the written without being prepared enough to pass. I personally think the requirement to have permission to take the written should be eliminated.
That's how it is for the CFI/ATP writtens (unless of course they fail their first try).

Does that really matter though? If the same guy went ahead and started training and still decided not to learn the stuff it's not like he would actually make it through the training. An FAA written is a very weak indicator of one's knowlege and is quite frankly a waste of time and money (if the FAA were to get rid of it and instead give a longer/more thorough oral, I wouldn't cry...)

Too subjective.

I had a guy in my ground school flunk the practice written given at the end of course. I thought he would do well, seemed like a sharp guy.

I never saw him after that.

If this were to happen, then people would start complaining the oral is too long, too subjective. Then the demand would be for standardized oral questions with standardized answers, of course made public ahead of time.

Then we're back to the same spot, people would complain about taking an oral exam.

The system in it's present form works well, but no matter what a few will always complain.

That's how it is for the CFI/ATP writtens (unless of course they fail their first try).

There used to be a requirement for one wishing to take the ATP written to visit the FSDO/GADO in person. One had to bring logbooks, which were examined and vetted, before the applicant would receive an endorsement to take the written test. The endorsement came from the FAA then, and it was considered a sort of stamp of approval that your flight time and experience to date had been verified. When the logbook was brought in, the FAA would spot check the log and verify various entries, as well as audit the books, to ensure that one was actually qualified to take the test.

I've still got my written authorization glued in one of my logbooks.

Back then, of course, the written tests were still written.

If this were to happen, then people would start complaining the oral is too long, too subjective. Then the demand would be for standardized oral questions with standardized answers, of course made public ahead of time.

Then we're back to the same spot, people would complain about taking an oral exam.

The system in it's present form works well, but no matter what a few will always complain.
It does and it will never change-I'm just throwing some ideas out there.

Back