Instrument rating requirements?

Yes
The bane of situational awareness in many people's opinion.
They are wrong, in mine. GPS is not the bane of situational awareness anymore than VOR or NDB or A/N Four Beam or celestial by sextant (or, for that matter, maps themselves) were the bane of situational awareness before it.

All have enhanced situational awareness. And I am just as certain all were used by some as an excuse for abdicating their responsibility. That's a people problem, not a technology problem.

"It's not my fault! The GPS made me do it." Really?

They are wrong, in mine. GPS is not the bane of situational awareness anymore than VOR or NDB or A/N Four Beam or celestial by sextant (or, for that matter, maps themselves) were the bane of situational awareness before it.

All have enhanced situational awareness. And I am just as certain all were used by some as an excuse for abdicating their responsibility. That's a people problem, not a technology problem.

"It's not my fault! The GPS made me do it." Really?

I disagree. GPS enhances situational awareness. It makes it much easier to figure out where you are.

I'm not really sure why somebody would say it decreases situational awareness.

I agree with you both. I was just answering the post I quoted.

In hindsight it would have been more accurate to replace "many" with "some" in my response.

Back