Instrument rating in a Multi

ATC_av8er

Pre-Flight
Display Name

Display name:
ATC_av8er
I am about to finish my PPL, ASEL. What is everyone's thoughts on getting my instrument rating in a multi to knock out two ratings at once?

Depends on your goals. If you are wanting to buy and fly your own high performance twin, getting your multi and instrument in that aircraft is a good idea. You will be very comfortable in the airplane after that.

If you just want to get the ratings knocked out doing the instrument in the twin will end up costing you a lot more money for little/no time savings.

ATP Flight School does it all the time. That said, you're not "knocking out two ratings at the same time". There's not much overlap between the two. Main benefit is you'll have more multi time, which used to be a golden ticket to the airlines, but not so necessary anymore.

ATP Flight School does it all the time. That said, you're not "knocking out two ratings at the same time". There's not much overlap between the two. Main benefit is you'll have more multi time, which used to be a golden ticket to the airlines, but not so necessary anymore.

That pretty much sums it up. Places like ATP will get you a quick private multi rating then have you do your entire instrument rating and commercial time building in a multi. It will give you a lot more multi PIC time than you would get otherwise, but it comes at a cost.

As far as the value of multi time goes these days, I'd say it depends on what the end goal is. If the goal is airlines then all the multi time gained isn't worth the expense of getting it. If the goal is insurability in a twin you might own one day or if you're on a corporate/charter track then it might have more value. Even the corporate and charter world seems to be changing, as the SE turboprops become more popular.

Your local MEI and the flight school will likely love you, if you do the instrument rating in a multi...

I was already multi rated when I did my instrument. I needed more complex and twin time, so I started my instrument in an Arrow and did the last half or so in a Duchess. It was more expensive, but I needed the time either way.

Unless you need/want the multi time, using it to get your IR is pretty expensive way to do it. Lots of droning around following needles. I'd do the IR in a SE complex aircraft and then go knock out the MEL in a weekend. I would think the savings in rental time and fuel would pay for the multi rating.

Places like ATP will get you a quick private multi rating then have you do your entire instrument rating and commercial time building in a multi. It will give you a lot more multi PIC time than you would get otherwise, but it comes at a cost.

The same point I was going to make. If money is no object, get the multi first so all that instrument time can be multi PIC.

Back