Instrument proficiency requirements

Dave Siciliano

Final Approach
Display Name

Display name:
Dave Siciliano
I've read through the new instrument proficiency requirements and don't quite understand what an IR pilot should do. I see what an IPC might require.

Formerly, I used to have to do six instrument approaches and log them within a six month period to technically stay legal and do a hold or two. Now, intercepting and tracking courses through the navigational systems and am seeing DP and STAR requirements.

So, if just trying to stay current now, what must I do and how is that to be logged? I am under Class B here at Addison and normally do a DP and STAR but am not always in instrument conditions or under the hood. I have done the required approaches and holds. Don't know if I need to begin logging other procedures.

Appreciate the advise.

Best,

Dave

I've always considered Intercepting and Tracking to have been handled by the enroute phase of my flight

66HIT is it for me:

6 Approaches
with in 6 months
Holding
Intercepting
and Tracking

There was an NPRM that proposed updating many bits of part 61, including some proposed changes to the IFR currency requirements in 61.57, but in the final ruling they decided to just leave them as they were.

So it's still 6 approaches, holding procedures, and intercepting/tracking courses through electronic nav.
-harry

Formerly, I used to have to do six instrument approaches and log them within a six month period to technically stay legal and do a hold or two. Now, intercepting and tracking courses through the navigational systems
That was added many years ago, and is met by flying non-radar approaches (i.e., not an ASR or PAR).
and am seeing DP and STAR requirements.
That was proposed in the 2007 NPRM but cut for the final rule published in August 2009 in which the FAA left the flying requirements essentially unchanged.

So, if just trying to stay current now, what must I do and how is that to be logged?
Same as it has been since 1997 -- fly and log:
  • Six approaches
  • Holding
  • Interception
  • Tracking
...and the last two are covered if at least one of your approaches uses onboard nav, like VOR, ADF, GPS, etc. No DP's or STAR's required. BTW, do you see an easy-to-remember mnemonic here?

That was added many years ago, and is met by flying non-radar approaches (i.e., not an ASR or PAR).
That was proposed in the 2007 NPRM but cut for the final rule published in August 2009 in which the FAA left the flying requirements essentially unchanged.

Same as it has been since 1997 -- fly and log:
  • Six approaches
  • Holding
  • Interception
  • Tracking
...and the last two are covered if at least one of your approaches uses onboard nav, like VOR, ADF, GPS, etc. No DP's or STAR's required. BTW, do you see an easy-to-remember mnemonic here?

Quite the memory aid Ron! Thanks. :D

I appreciate the responses.

Dave

One caveat - they DID change the wording on proficiency tasks for sims and FTDs and other "non-airplane" methods.

It used to read that you could combine approaches done in an airplane with those done in a Sim or FTD. Now it appears to read that you must do six approaches in an airplane, or six approaches in a sim/FTD, and can't mix and match any more. I sent John Lynch an email on that but have not gotten a reply.

One caveat - they DID change the wording on proficiency tasks for sims and FTDs and other "non-airplane" methods.

It used to read that you could combine approaches done in an airplane with those done in a Sim or FTD. Now it appears to read that you must do six approaches in an airplane, or six approaches in a sim/FTD, and can't mix and match any more. I sent John Lynch an email on that but have not gotten a reply.
John is in hiding.....

:rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes:

Geesh! They're really making it tough. One would almost have to be amphibious to do that; you know, able to fly with either hand :mad2:

Best,

Dave

Is it specific to type and class?

I fly lots of instruments on the USAF dime teaching F-15 students, but in my Glasair, I want to spend my money on flying approaches that I need to land from or going places - not keeping my proficiency. Does the Eagle time count?

Is it specific to type and class?

I fly lots of instruments on the USAF dime teaching F-15 students, but in my Glasair, I want to spend my money on flying approaches that I need to land from or going places - not keeping my proficiency. Does the Eagle time count?
Instrument currency is not category and class.

John is in hiding.....

Golly... I sent him an email today about the "revised" logging for cross-countries and had an answer in a couple of hours.

Bob Gardner

Back