Instrument Proficiency Check for someone LONG out of currency?

Coloradokevin

Pre-takeoff checklist
Display Name

Display name:
Coloradokevin
So, the last instrument approach I flew was on 08/28/2002. Needless to say, I'm a bit out of date.

I only recently returned to recreational airplane flying after a long break, but I've been thinking of doing some home study in preparation for an IPC that I'll probably do sometime this year. Right now I don't really have a need for IFR flying, but I'd eventually like to return to currency as an added safety measure.

The questions I have in all of this are as follows:

1) What would you study if you had been away from IFR flying for that long?

2) What major changes have happened in the system during my absence from it?

NOTE: I have flown GPS approaches in the past, but I know that GPS approaches have changed some since then. GPS approaches were flown strictly as non-precision approaches when I flew before (or at least that's all I flew), and when I compare my old paper approach plates with today's electronic ones, I notice that a new line for "LPV" approaches has been added to some of the RNAV (GPS) approaches I had previously flown, and some of the other GPS approaches have changes as well, though I'm still trying to get my head around all of the specific changes.

I'm sure I have a LOT of rust to knock off before I'm really ready for IFR flight again, but I figured you guys might have some suggestions for what I should start looking at! I'm only guessing here, but I'm thinking the biggest changes are probably just to the way GPS approaches are handled with today's avionics (WAAS). I could be wrong, but I'm thinking that an ILS is still an ILS. And, if I never have to see another ADF, I'll die a happy man.

The new technology is great...you just get the best in avionics, push a few buttons and declare "Find Me Runway, Plane!" and the gosh darn thing will fly the whole approach.

...all the kids are doing that way these days!

I'd start with the Instrument Flying Handbook and the Instrument Procedures Handbook, both available for free on the FAA web site.

I'd also frequent this place, if nothing else, just to see if I understand what people are talking about. ;)

I'd start by sitting down with a CFII and do an assessment of where you are. This should be on the ground and in the air.

Have you done much VFR flying recently? The best prep for getting back into IFR is to fly VFR with discipline- i.e. Maintain altitudes +-50', headings +-5 degrees, 500fpm climbs, etc.

After you've done the assessment, get some practice time and do your IPC.

Big difference from 2002? Know how to work your GPS. Many of the common GPS equipment in 2002 has since been retired, so read the manual of the one you're using today. Brush up on WAAS and LP/LPV approaches.

Good luck.

I'd start with the Instrument Flying Handbook and the Instrument Procedures Handbook, both available for free on the FAA web site.

I'd also frequent this place, if nothing else, just to see if I understand what people are talking about. ;)
This. If you also have access to a simulator and a CFII I'd start there just trying to get your instrument scan back

Try this book.
51gFb7l94OL.jpg

Back