Instrument Ground

When to take Inst. Ground Class

• Spring 2014. Before the flight portion starts that Fall

Votes: 7 46.7%
  • Fall 2014. Concurrently with the flight portion.

Votes: 7 46.7%
  • Summer 2014. Summer right before Fall classes begin

Votes: 1 6.7%

• Total voters

RileyMitchum

Pre-Flight
Display Name

Display name:
RileyMitchum
Hey guys I have a quick question. I am minoring in commercial aviation and will be taking my instrument flight course next fall (2014) and was thinking about knocking the ground class out this spring. Would it be better to wait and take the ground while I was doing the flight portion or to take care of that this spring? Thanks!

It depends on you. Some people benefit from doing it in conjunction with flight lessons. For others, it doesn't matter.

I did my first Instrument ground school in 1993 and got the rating in 2012. Heh. I wouldn't recommend that route. ;)

I haven't noticed much of a difference.

However it can't hurt, there are some straight memorization items (regs etc) that you could work on, I'd get the King video and start on those.

Not a biggie if you don't though.

Take the test within two years of your check ride. I took ground school probably back in 1983 and took the test three times (having let it expire twice) before taking the ride. Frankly, if you have the time, I'd get it out of the way before you start flying. There's nothing really that you're going to do in the flight training that's really essential to the drill and kill for the exam. Some knowledge from the written might be of use to you in your flight training however.

Do it before training ,then when your ready for check ride the written is al ready out of the way.

I don't think instrument ground is like private ground. With a private pilot groundschool, the material can be so foreign that it can help a lot to start flying first. With the instrument rating, that's not really true. I don't think instrument flying concurrently will help you with the ground part.

Taking the class in the class in the spring I would have the written done 6-7 months before the checkride. Is that too soon to remember anything?

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I337 using Tapatalk

I don't think instrument ground is like private ground. With a private pilot groundschool, the material can be so foreign that it can help a lot to start flying first. With the instrument rating, that's not really true. I don't think instrument flying concurrently will help you with the ground part.
Speaking as one who teaches 10-day IR courses for a living, I agree completely.

Hey guys I have a quick question. I am minoring in commercial aviation and will be taking my instrument flight course next fall (2014) and was thinking about knocking the ground class out this spring. Would it be better to wait and take the ground while I was doing the flight portion or to take care of that this spring? Thanks!
I've been told and based on my personal experience it is best to complete the ground portion before you begin training. I found it beneficial to review my training material again just prior to my checkride after I had some practical experience.

I personally found the pilotedge IFR training videos to be ridiculously good, even though they were for the sim crowd (this is the first video in a series):

http://www.pilotedge.net/workshops/ifr-departures-demystified

As one with 160hrs of time in the logbook since this time in 2010, and now working through several sources of knowledge material for IFR, I also concur that doing the knowledge prep and test taking ahead of the actual airborne training is okay to do. Very little of what I have covered so far is not completely foreign and "never heard of that before". Most already is. The bulk of it is just adding to the foundation of knowledge that the private courses and my experience flying has provided.

im probably going to start studying for my commercial written and get it out of the way before i start training in january or february. for my instrument and private i horribly procrastinated and had to stop flying to get my written done

Back