Instrument checkride

mxalix258

Pre-Flight
Display Name

Display name:
mxalix258
Passed my instrument checkride this morning! The rating was challenging, and I'm glad to have it done to start using it :goofy:

Got my private certificate a year ago last week, and am at around 115 total time.

Reading these forums has been a tremendous help, so thanks to everyone!

Can you share a little more about the story and tell us about it. Anything "odd" I'm working on my IR and hope to do checkride this summer.

Welcome to the league of temporary airmen!

Can you share a little more about the story and tell us about it. Anything "odd" I'm working on my IR and hope to do checkride this summer.

I am also close to taking this ride. Any details would be great.

The oral was basic, lasted about an hour and a half. Nothing I hadn't seen/heard before, but I stumbled on a couple.

Flight was challenging, it's just a lot to do in a short time period. We departed using the departure procedure, and a little while after being on course got diverted to another airport. We did a localizer, ILS, and then a GPS approach at two different airports.

Biggest thing was staying organized and ahead of the airplane, any one thing is easy to do, but doing it all together and make it seem like you know what you are doing is difficult.

Some things I noted that were a little tricky:

• Even though the examiner was playing controller, acting as though it was a real IFR flight (which is difficult). This means flipping radio frequencies before making a simulated call to ATC, and making all appropriate radio calls, entering the hold, missed approach, etc.
  • When getting cleared for a hold, make sure you get an EFC time
  • If he gives you an altitude, try and make sense of it on the approach plate. For one part, he had me at 3000 with the minimum altitude at the IAF at 3700, so I asked him if I could go higher.
  • All the approaches ended up being circling, which we executed every time. If he tells you to land, maintain the circling altitude until you are in a "normal position to land". Once we went visual, I let the altitude slip a little bit, but caught it before it was out of PTS standards, and we actually landed for one of the circling approaches...so be prepared for that.

Congrats! The IFR rating sure is helpful if you are going to fly!

Now you can take all us private pilots flying since weather has had us grounded for the past 3 months.

Congratulations. It sure feels good to have THAT ride out of the way. Now, go get that ticket wet and file every time you go somewhere.

Passed my instrument checkride this morning! The rating was challenging, and I'm glad to have it done to start using it :goofy:

Got my private certificate a year ago last week, and am at around 115 total time.

Reading these forums has been a tremendous help, so thanks to everyone!

Outstanding, enjoy your new skill you earned it.

How'd your flight plan work out with the DPE?

Back