Instrument Checkride Passed

kjwalker01

Pre-takeoff checklist
Display Name

Display name:
Keith
Or, at least, not failed! Overall, it wasn't nearly as bad a checkride as I've heard about, and to be honest, I really feel that the DPE worked very hard to make sure that I passed. Not in a bad way, but I think he could have justifiably failed me if we wanted to.

After the paperwork, the oral portion took about 1.5 hours. He literally went through his marked up copy of the PTS and touched on just about every item. He asked a few questions that I really didn't know, and he seemed to enjoy popping open the FARs and teach me some things. It went pretty quickly, and aside from struggling with weather reports, I wasn't too rattled.

Then, came the ride itself. He gave me a DP with a transition that went through the departure runway, so I was immediately on the other side of the course he wanted me to follow. Luckily, I quickly figured that out, and we were on our way. Soon after that, he started vectoring me for the first of the 3 approaches. On the way, he did an unusual attitude, which was fine, then we shot an RNAV on autopilot and went missed. Back out for the ILS, then he took the autopilot away from me for the rest of the flight.

The ILS started off fine, but I was really having a hard time getting the GS trimmed out, so I was up and down more than I liked. At the DA, I was waiting for him to tell me to either put my hood up and land, or to go missed, but he waiting to see what I would do. I really think that I was about 1 second away from a bust, but added power and started the missed. Honestly, I was probably 10 feet or so below the DA, but he let it go.

He then took away the AI, and I flew the VOR-DME approach partial panel. The plane has an HSI, but he didn't take that away from me, nor the GPS at any time. That approach ended with a circle-to-land, and the touch-and-go was fairly ugly. Then we departed for home, but he left me flying partial panel for the remainder of the flight, which terminated with a visual approach and another kinda crappy landing. I wish I could blame a strong crosswind, but my crosswind landings yesterday were a heck of a lot better than today. I guess I'll just chalk it up to fatigue.

Anyways, he left me with a little less pride than I had when I woke up this morning, but more importantly, he left me with a number of suggestion for items that I really need to work on to become a better overall pilot.

I'm good with that.

Congratulations! I'm far enough long in IFR training that I understand your story. :D

Congratulations, better pilot.
The instrument ride should not be easy, it should involve work, especially partial panel.
Glad you enjoyed it (or at least I hope so) and don't sweat the small stuff.
And also glad that you made a list of improvement that you can make, that is the important stuff.

Once again, congratulations and thanks for the write-up.

Congratulations! L

You are legal to go below DA on an ILS. DA is where you make a decision, not where you have to start missed approach procedure. Since you are still descending, you are expected to go below DA before starting missed approach.

It's actually one of the items my DPE and I discussed before the check-ride.

EDIT: I should rephrase it a bit. You start missed approach at DA, but your momentum will take you below DA before you start your climb. So it is ok to go below.

Last edited:
Anyways, he left me with a little less pride than I had when I woke up this morning, but more importantly, he left me with a number of suggestion for items that I really need to work on to become a better overall pilot.

I'm good with that.

...and he left you with an instrument rating!

Learn lessons tomorrow, enjoy the accomplishment today. w0000t! Congratulations. :D

Well yours went better than mine. I busted my instrument checkride within a minute of taking off. For some reason I decided to climb on a heading that was 10 degrees off my assigned heading to enter controlled airspace, and my altimeter was a little off. My CFI was furious that I got failed over that and I was a little mad at myself for not asking the examiner to retry what I messed up right away, but I was not mad at him for failing me because it thought it was a valid reason. I opted to keep going with the checkride and completed everything up to PTS standards. I came back the morning after and literally did one take off on the right heading this time and flew 10 minutes to a nearby airport and did an ILS.

To this day it still makes me mad to have a busted a hard checkride on the easy stuff that really had nothing to do with instrument flying itself. I'm hoping to not repeat that on my commercial checkride next month.

So honestly, congrats and be happy you got your IR without a bust. You can always go back up with a CFI to fine tune your skills.

Congratulations! L

You are legal to go below DA on an ILS. DA is where you make a decision, not where you have to start missed approach procedure. Since you are still descending, you are expected to go below DA before starting missed approach.

It's actually one of the items my DPE and I discussed before the check-ride.

EDIT: I should rephrase it a bit. You start missed approach at DA, but your momentum will take you below DA before you start your climb. So it is ok to go below.

Technically aren't you supposed to keep the sink rate into account when reaching DA? On all approaches I usually round up the DA or MDA to the next 100ft, it makes memorization easier and helps you not sink below your minimum altitude.

Last edited:
Well yours went better than mine. I busted my instrument checkride within a minute of taking off. For some reason I decided to climb on a heading that was 10 degrees off my assigned heading to enter controlled airspace, and my altimeter was a little off. My CFI was furious that I got failed over that and I was a little mad at myself for not asking the examiner to retry what I messed up right away, but I was not mad at him for failing me because it thought it was a valid reason. I opted to keep going with the checkride and completed everything up to PTS standards. I came back the morning after and literally did one take off on the right heading this time and flew 10 minutes to a nearby airport and did an ILS.

To this day it still makes me mad to have a busted a hard checkride on the easy stuff that really had nothing to do with instrument flying itself. I'm hoping to not repeat that on my commercial checkride next month.

So honestly, congrats and be happy you got your IR without a bust. You can always go back up with a CFI to fine tune your skills.

Technically aren't you supposed to keep the sink rate into account when reaching DA? On all approaches I usually round up the DA or MDA to the next 100ft, it makes memorization easier and helps you not sink below your minimum altitude.

No. The sink rate is taken into account when the minimums are published. The decision altitude Is just that, a decision altitude. You decide by the DA, and execute immediately.

Ok good to know, my CFI was always very strict about not getting below DA for any reason. I'm nitpicking anyway, we're probably talking about a 50ft difference at most.

In real life, you can terminate approach any time before DA. However, sink rate is taken into an account and if you initiate missed approach without sinking past DA, you are making a decision too early. On the exam, it's a point against you.

EDIT: PTS states: "A missed approach or transition to a landing shall be initiated at Decision Height". Nothing there states that you cannot go below DA/DH

Last edited:

I appreciate that, along with all of the other kind words. It's funny, I was so excited to get my Private so that I could take friends/family up. Now, I'm excited that I get to continue training with a few different CFIs, but not have to worry about a checkride. I can just focus on what I need to fix.

First off, I think it's time to revisit some basics. Those landings WILL improve!!!

I appreciate that, along with all of the other kind words. It's funny, I was so excited to get my Private so that I could take friends/family up. Now, I'm excited that I get to continue training with a few different CFIs, but not have to worry about a checkride. I can just focus on what I need to fix.

First off, I think it's time to revisit some basics. Those landings WILL improve!!!

It's funny how landings tend to degrade when training for IFR :)... Not much landing going on :)...

I just passed mine last month... now i'm probably going to have to wait a couple of months before I can use it... :(.

Again. Congrats!!

Haha exactly, I love the feeling of being able to go back without the stress of failing a checkride!

Congratulations on your new rating!

It's not a bad idea to do a touch and go, instead of just the typical low approach during training. If you're flying a stabilized approach and configured to land before reached the DA/MAP, then the landing(s) should be pretty smooth.

Back