Instrument approach without Inst Rating??

cleared4theoption

Pre-takeoff checklist
Display Name

Display name:
Jeremy
So, let's say I have my PPL, no instrument rating. I am approaching a towered field with an ILS. It is a perfectly VFR day. Can I request to shoot an ILS approach even though i have no rating? Is it legal? Will the tower let me do it?
Just curious.

So, let's say I have my PPL, no instrument rating. I am approaching a towered field with an ILS. It is a perfectly VFR day. Can I request to shoot an ILS approach even though i have no rating? Is it legal? Will the tower let me do it?
Just curious.

Sure, as long as you request a practice ILS approach under VFR.

Read the AIM, Section 4-3-21 for general procedures, and Section 4-1-9g4 and Table 4-1-1 for CTAF procedures while doing this at nontowered airports.

And of course you will have a safety pilot....right???
Do you really need a safety pilot if you are doing it in VFR conditions without a hood? I mean, sure, you can't actually LOG the approach, but I don't see why you can't FLY it!

I would encourage you to take an ifr pilot along. (better yet, a cfi-ia!)
It possibly could help when the tower says something in ifr lingo and you are left scratching your head. Might help to ensure you fly the airplane where the controller expects, too. Plus you will learn a whole lot more!

Do you really need a safety pilot if you are doing it in VFR conditions without a hood? I mean, sure, you can't actually LOG the approach, but I don't see why you can't FLY it!
No you don't need a SP unless you're wearing a view limiting device (whether or not you are IR'd makes no difference) and it's perfectly legal to fly any approach in VMC (without an IFR clearance) without an IR.

You could, it would just be of little if any training value.

That's not true at all. One of the most valuable exercises in instrument training is to fly an approach with eyes wide open. IMO it's the second best method training for overcoming the tendency to overcorrect.

On top of that, only 20% of instrument flight is about flying without a view out the window. 80% (or more) is about procedures and those can be practiced both with an without a hood (and is the reason for the general recommendation for rated pilots to fly under IFR whatever the weather).

What I would suggest for Cleared, though, is to take a lesson or two before practicing an appraoch. That way, at least what is being practiced is less likely to produce bad habits.

That's not true at all. One of the most valuable exercises in instrument training is to fly an approach with eyes wide open. IMO it's the second best method training for overcoming the tendency to overcorrect.

On top of that, only 20% of instrument flight is about flying without a view out the window. 80% (or more) is about procedures and those can be practiced both with an without a hood (and is the reason for the general recommendation for rated pilots to fly under IFR whatever the weather).

What I would suggest for Cleared, though, is to take a lesson or two before practicing an appraoch. That way, at least what is being practiced is less likely to produce bad habits.

I agree. It was a HUGE eye-opener to me to fly an approach on a clear day while correlating the out-the-window view and the instrument view. Pitch and roll changes that felt ginourmous under the hood were suddenly mild. And I learned that while I had to respond to a deviation promptly, I didn't need to respond with large attitude changes. If the LOC needle gets a dot off before it reverses trend and comes back, that's fine, and the gentler correction I used to catch it means the next correction to nail it will be small too. Glideslope is a little different, but even then if the needle starts to move up, only a little pitch change is needed to fix it.

Another tip is that if you can capture the GPS track and plot it on Google earth or the chart, you can see how what felt like "all over the place" translated to very small deviations. It's a help in the confidence department to realize that what may feel like an awful performance really isn't quite as bad as it seems. Helps keep the gumption up while working on improving the performance.

So, let's say I have my PPL, no instrument rating. I am approaching a towered field with an ILS. It is a perfectly VFR day. Can I request to shoot an ILS approach even though i have no rating?

Yes.

Is it legal?

Yes.

Will the tower let me do it?

As long as it doesn't interfere with other traffic, yes.

You can also do this at uncontrolled field without contacting ATC.

I just ASSUMED ,(yeah yeah I know), when you said you would be doing the approach you would be doing it by reference to your panel only. Even without a hood if you are seriously trying to utilize the ILS you will have your eyes in the cockpit more than if you ware totally VFR. An extra set of eyes, while not strictly required by the regs, is still an idea you might consider.

I just ASSUMED ,(yeah yeah I know), when you said you would be doing the approach you would be doing it by reference to your panel only. Even without a hood if you are seriously trying to utilize the ILS you will have your eyes in the cockpit more than if you ware totally VFR. An extra set of eyes, while not strictly required by the regs, is still an idea you might consider.

Good point

One point about doing practice approaches is that if you're practicing stuff you haven't learned, you may be teaching yourself how to do it wrong. Then, when you start the IR training, the CFI-IA has to spend a lot of time (and your money) un-teaching you all that wrong stuff before you can learn the right stuff. Nothing wrong with practicing between lessons that which you've been taught, but I recommend against just going out and trying to fly instrument approaches before you've been trained on how to do them right.

Id just tune the ILS if you want. Try to look big picture at how it looks outside and compare that to the glide slope. When it looks normal to you where is the glide slope? Dot high? Dot low?

Also, look at the minimum altitude for the ILS. It's normally 200' above the airport elevation (give or take). Make a note of that altitude and see how close you are to the runway when you hit that number. That is where you can expect to 'break out' when flying an approach to minimums.

Mostly I agree with what you've read here. Get you a CFII and avoid learning bad habits. But if you simply must tune in that ILS then try to think about what I posted above.

Have fun!

One good reason to fly approaches VFR that doesn't require a safety pilot or CFII is if you are getting familiar with a new (to you) piece of avionics, particularly if it's one that your CFII couldn't help you with because he's as new to it as you are. I flew probably a dozen or more approaches that way when I first bought my plane with its CNX-80 GPS (including coupled approaches using the A/P plus VSS). Very useful and relatively inexpensive way to try out features you read about in the pilot's guide. A safety pilot is still a good idea, but if you can devote enough CPU cycles to scanning for traffic yourself, you may not need one.

(Yes, a simulator is even cheaper, but doesn't do you much good if you don't have access to a computer that can run it. I don't know of any CNX-80 simulators that run under MacOS X, and I decided against trying to run Parallels for a number of reasons.)

I often do it if I happen to be on a VFR flight without another pilot along, and while it's no substitute for IMC or hood time, I do feel that I benefit from it.

I think it is a good point to shoot a few approaches with an instructor even if you're doing unlogged approaches VFR without a view limiting device. My post probably came off a little snarky, but I love the idea that I, as a non-IR rated pilot, can practice various instrument approaches even if I do not get credit for them.

This is a good thread!

One good reason to fly approaches VFR that doesn't require a safety pilot or CFII is if you are getting familiar with a new (to you) piece of avionics,
Having once tried that myself, I'm here to tell you that you'll get your head buried in the cockpit and become oblivious to other traffic. Bring along someone else to keep a lookout while you tinker with the knobs.

particularly if it's one that your CFII couldn't help you with because he's as new to it as you are.
Then find one who is familiar with the unit. Not many boxes out there for which you can't find an experienced instructor who knows it.

(Yes, a simulator is even cheaper, but doesn't do you much good if you don't have access to a computer that can run it. I don't know of any CNX-80 simulators that run under MacOS X, and I decided against trying to run Parallels for a number of reasons.)
You find that good instructor, and s/he'll probably have a PC laptop which can run it.

What I would suggest for Cleared, though, is to take a lesson or two before practicing an approach. That way, at least what is being practiced is less likely to produce bad habits.

I agree. And when my pilots friends that just sat as safety pilot for me now want me to act as some sort of unofficial CFII and let them have a go, I tell them I will do lookout duty but I am not a CFII and I will not instruct them; they are on their own unless I feel they are endangering us in which case it is "my airplane". I tell them I can recommend a CFII - have a lesson, and then practice what you were taught.

Having once tried that myself, I'm here to tell you that you'll get your head buried in the cockpit and become oblivious to other traffic. Bring along someone else to keep a lookout while you tinker with the knobs.
I don't doubt that that will happen to some people, and if you're not confident in your ability to keep scanning for traffic, then you should take a safety pilot along. I believe I said that in so many words. On the other hand, it seems a bit arrogant to declare that everyone will have the same experience that YOU had, don't you think?

Then find one who is familiar with the unit. Not many boxes out there for which you can't find an experienced instructor who knows it.
It all depends on what lengths you're willing to go to. Certainly there are CNX-80 experts, but I was unable to find any in my area. Sure I could have traveled to California or paid an instructor's travel and lodging expenses to come here, but that gets very expensive. So I joined an online users group, bought Keith Thomassen's book, and spent a lot of time reading, asking questions, and trying different things out. It took a little longer, but it worked out.

You find that good instructor, and s/he'll probably have a PC laptop which can run it.
Again, what I said was that if someone has a simulator, it would be a cheaper way to experiment than flying the plane. If I have to pay an outstate instructor's expenses plus hourly or daily rate to get access to a simulator, then again, maybe it's a quicker and even better way to learn the unit (depending on one's learning style). But it's definitely not cheaper, and even if we never set foot in the airplane and did all of the familiarization using the PC sim, it would probably be a good bit more expensive that way than the way I did it.

Call up PIC. They sent me a GNS480 knowledgeable flight instructor who was also savvy to read the 55X manual the first night and be able to work with me on that as well.

Given an hour or so on the ground with the unit or in front of the simulator, I can get you pretty up to speed on its operation. It's not that hard. Frankly it makes much more sense IFR than the 430/530 setup. I'm not even a CFI. I did attract a crowd demonstrating its advantages at the Garmin booth (because nobody from Garmin seemed the least bit interested in talking about it even back when they were still selling it).

Given an hour or so on the ground with the unit or in front of the simulator, I can get you pretty up to speed on its operation. It's not that hard.
Did I say it was hard? :dunno:

Actually I agree with you, it's NOT that hard, which also makes it difficult to justify paying an AMU per day for help with learning the basics. The ONLY thing about its operation that gave me trouble at first was the fact that the 480 knows about NoPT segments but not TAAs, so if you load an RNAV approach with the IF/IAF as the initial fix, it will send you around the HILPT no matter what direction you're coming from. The workaround posted on gns480users works but is more complicated than necessary if you have the latest software revision. I had to figure that out for myself, but again, it was not a big deal.

Did I say it was hard? :dunno:

Actually I agree with you, it's NOT that hard, which also makes it difficult to justify paying an AMU per day for help with learning the basics. The ONLY thing about its operation that gave me trouble at first was the fact that the 480 knows about NoPT segments but not TAAs, so if you load an RNAV approach with the IF/IAF as the initial fix, it will send you around the HILPT no matter what direction you're coming from. The workaround posted on gns480users works but is more complicated than necessary if you have the latest software revision. I had to figure that out for myself, but again, it was not a big deal.

AMU = Aviation Monetary Unit? I just learned that. Google is your friend and all that.

Well, actually I learned that quite some time ago but did not know there was a secret term for it to hide how much we spend on airplanes from you-know-who. :D

You can mash buttons on the 480 simulator all day long. As for the dealing with the few approaches that fall into the category you're complaining about, you are supposed to be monitoring the thing rather than going to sleep after you punch in the flight plan. The thing tells you it's going to enter the hold in plenty of time to tell it not to (just push the SUSP keY). If you haven't figured out FLY LEG yet, you're going to need it for other things.

You can mash buttons on the 480 simulator all day long. As for the dealing with the few approaches that fall into the category you're complaining about, you are supposed to be monitoring the thing rather than going to sleep after you punch in the flight plan. The thing tells you it's going to enter the hold in plenty of time to tell it not to (just push the SUSP keY). If you haven't figured out FLY LEG yet, you're going to need it for other things.
I didn't complain about any category of approach, just pointed out a minor idiosyncrasy of the 480 that took some getting used to at first. And whether it's just a few approaches or a lot doesn't matter when the approach into your home base with the lowest minimums happens to be one of them. (Though anyway, I thought TAAs were becoming more and more common?)

And yes, I know how to use flyleg, thank you. It will do the job here IF you press it very close to the IF/IAF. It's just my personal preference not to have to be monkeying with the GPS routinely at that point in the approach. If it works for you, great. Enough people were dissatisfied with that solution that someone went through the trouble to devise an elaborate workaround, so I can't be the only one.

FWIW, under revision 2.3 I think the simplest solution is even simpler than flyleg. If you're coming from the side where an HILPT should not be done (and you don't need to ask to do it for another reason, like losing altitude etc.), you just load one of the end IAFs as your entry point to the approach. Then if ATC clears you direct to the IF/IAF, you go direct to it and no fiddling is needed to sequence to the intermediate segment.

I don't doubt that that will happen to some people, and if you're not confident in your ability to keep scanning for traffic, then you should take a safety pilot along. I believe I said that in so many words. On the other hand, it seems a bit arrogant to declare that everyone will have the same experience that YOU had, don't you think?
I suppose there are those more proficient and capable than a 10,000-hour ATP/CFI who's been flying professionally for four decades, and perhaps they'll do better. However, after having done this myself and watched many others try, I doubt it. But, as always, YMMV.

In a moving airplane is a horrible place to learn new avionics. I don't care if it's VFR or IFR with or without a safety pilot.

I suppose there are those more proficient and capable than a 10,000-hour ATP/CFI who's been flying professionally for four decades, and perhaps they'll do better. However, after having done this myself and watched many others try, I doubt it. But, as always, YMMV.
It has nothing to do with proficiency or capability. You're VFR. You don't NEED the friggin' GPS. If it does something you don't understand, you don't try to figure it out that minute. You fly the airplane, keep looking for traffic, and sort it out later, on the ground.

Except for the HILPT issue, I never ran into anything I couldn't either figure out myself, or get a quick answer to from someone with more experience, with one iteration of that procedure.

It has nothing to do with proficiency or capability. You're VFR. You don't NEED the friggin' GPS. If it does something you don't understand, you don't try to figure it out that minute. You fly the airplane, keep looking for traffic, and sort it out later, on the ground.
Then I guess you agree with my original statement that you don't want to go up solo to teach yourself how to run a new piece of avionics up in the air.

I thought there was some "standard" for operating certified GPS units that makes them function similarly across all brands, etc.

Practically I know that's not true, but is some of this standardized?

Then I guess you agree with my original statement that you don't want to go up solo to teach yourself how to run a new piece of avionics up in the air.
Huh? :dunno:

(Unless you thought I was advocating going up solo and trying to learn the unit from scratch, in the air, without first cracking the manual and playing with the GPS as much as possible on the ground. I seriously doubt you did, but it's possible.)

It all depends on what lengths you're willing to go to. Certainly there are CNX-80 experts, but I was unable to find any in my area. Sure I could have traveled to California or paid an instructor's travel and lodging expenses to come here, but that gets very expensive. So I joined an online users group, bought Keith Thomassen's book, and spent a lot of time reading, asking questions, and trying different things out. It took a little longer, but it worked out.

Again, what I said was that if someone has a simulator, it would be a cheaper way to experiment than flying the plane. If I have to pay an outstate instructor's expenses plus hourly or daily rate to get access to a simulator, then again, maybe it's a quicker and even better way to learn the unit (depending on one's learning style). But it's definitely not cheaper, and even if we never set foot in the airplane and did all of the familiarization using the PC sim, it would probably be a good bit more expensive that way than the way I did it.

You don't need a PC to run the 480 simulator, it's built in to the unit itself. It does help if you can connect a GPU or even a battery charger to the airplane (don't try to run on a battery charger without the battery in the circuit) so you don't drain the battery in the process.

You don't need a PC to run the 480 simulator, it's built in to the unit itself. It does help if you can connect a GPU or even a battery charger to the airplane (don't try to run on a battery charger without the battery in the circuit) so you don't drain the battery in the process.
Yes, I know there is a "simulator mode" that you enter with some magic incantation. I tried it once or twice in the airplane, but that was early on, before I had any kind of battery charger (now I use a Battery Minder, not sure if that can supply enough electrons to replace the ones taken by the 480). The real lure of simulator mode was in the idea of taking the unit home to play with it. I lost interest in that idea after the shop that replaced my spar carrythrough reinstalled the 480 without seating it properly, leading to an "interesting" failure where I first lost the ability to control the transponder, then the COM frequency. When I thought about reseating it myself I realized just how expensive it would be if I accidentally damaged one of the pins.

But yes, it's been so long since I've tried anything really new on the 480 that I forgot about simulator mode.

I thought there was some "standard" for operating certified GPS units that makes them function similarly across all brands, etc.

Practically I know that's not true, but is some of this standardized?
Sort of. There are TSO's and AC's covering how they function in terms of things like when they shift from enroute to terminal to approach, and what CDI sensitivities they use in different modes, but not how their user interfaces ("switchology") work. That's the big problem jumping from, say, a Garmin 155XL to a King KLN-94 to an Apollo/UPSAT GX-series unit.

There is no UI standard and I am thankful for that.

Not a good idea in my opinion, unless you're going to do it with the autopilot in which case, what's the point? If you're watching the needles, your eyes are going to be spending too much time in the cockpit, and not enough scanning for other traffic which is what you're supposed to be doing while VFR, right?

I don't want to be at an airport with lone VFR pilots buzzing down the glideslope with their eyeballs glued to the panel and not noticing me.

Sort of. There are TSO's and AC's covering how they function in terms of things like when they shift from enroute to terminal to approach, and what CDI sensitivities they use in different modes, but not how their user interfaces ("switchology") work. That's the big problem jumping from, say, a Garmin 155XL to a King KLN-94 to an Apollo/UPSAT GX-series unit.

Not to mention using a rental bird with a G-1000 that has had many of the user settings changed.

Back