Instructor/School in No. Virginia

NoVA GA

Filing Flight Plan
Display Name

Display name:
NoVA GA
First-time poster...

As the display name suggests I'm a wannabe GA pilot (soon to be) in the northern Virginia area. I'm working on my PPL now and anticipate moving to the area this summer before completing it. My guess is that I'll be close to 30-40 hours by the time I relocate, but will be unable to finish it before I move in July. I have no aspirations for a professional career, but would like to get my IFR eventually.

Welcome any feedback/comments/impressions on the options available at Manassas, Leesburg, or Stafford. All will be similar commutes.

When I was getting back into the air last year, I found Aviation Adventures professional with well cared for planes. I had major scheduling issues with their Manassas location due to lack of instructor availability. To the point that I put all thoughts of working on my IFR off for the time being.

If you have a very flexible schedule and can book time multiple weeks into the future you should be okay. And the instructor situation may have improved.

Aviation Adventures has a good reputation. In the end, it will depend not only on the school/FBO but how you interact with your instructor that counts.

I'd also suggest that you join the DCPilots group (yahoo mailing list).

I've had good luck with Dulles Aviation (At HEF) and American Aviation. AVAD def has the biggest presence but I've been extremely disappointed with their scheduling availability at HEF location. Just my opinion. Good luck.

Appreciate the feedback and suggestions.

Back