Instructor/Rental Dilemma

DrewG

Pre-takeoff checklist
Display Name

Display name:
DrewG
I was speaking to a pilot friend last night who moved about 50 or so miles away a few months ago. He did all of his initial training at the same airport and with the same instructor as I did - and we both consider him a friend. That airport was about 15 minutes away from home, but was still the closest and easiest to get to.

In his new locale, the airport is a Class D located a straight-shot 3 miles from his house. Our "home" airport is now a good 30-40 minutes' drive from him.

His dilemma stems from needing to get his BFR and considering further renting. I told him that convenience-wise, it makes sense to get his BFR at the airport closest to him with a new "unknown" instructor and have it double as a checkout ride for the planes there. Especially considering it's 3 miles away and will essentially be his new home base. Most pilots would kill to have their home drome be so conveniently close. However, he really enjoys going up with our friend at the "home" field and the planes/maintenance/care habits, etc. of the flight school he runs are a known quantity. Plus, he doesn't want to upset our buddy. I can fully understand that.

What say you all? Go with the known or with what's most convenient?

I live off an airport (not even 3 miles), but drove roughly 45 minutes to take lesson. They further airport had the plane I wanted to learn in and I still rent there. I would at least check out the convenient place, take a lesson to test out the new place and then decide.

As much as it pains me :D I agree with Edfred.

Here's a thought though. Why not do the FR/checkout at the new airport? Why? Well then your friend can rent at TWO airports! You know, a plane may not be available when he needs it at one, but then the other may have one available. Brilliant eh?

If your instructor friend gets upset then he's got issues. Tell your friend to go wherever is most convenient for him.

Here's a thought though. Why not do the FR/checkout at the new airport? Why? Well then your friend can rent at TWO airports! You know, a plane may not be available when he needs it at one, but then the other may have one available. Brilliant eh?

Ditto. I live 25 minutes from two different airports. I trained at one and continued to rent solely there for a while. I felt a bit like I was cheating on my wife when I got checked out at the other airport. It's now very handy being able to rent from either since their planes/availability/policies are slightly different.

As much as it pains me :D I agree with Edfred.

Yup. And like you said, both the checkout And the FR. Getting fresh ideas and perspectives is valuable. Good CFI's understand and value that. I'd bet there is going to be no grief from his current CFI/buddy.

When did every little choice have to become a m-f committee decision?

I think this is a little bit harsh. This came from a simple conversation. The choice is obviously his and I posted here for simple discussion purposes and opinions. It's no different than a "what plane should I buy" thread - the choice is always ultimately one person's.

That being said...

Yup. And like you said, both the checkout And the FR. Getting fresh ideas and perspectives is valuable. Good CFI's understand and value that. I'd bet there is going to be no grief from his current CFI/buddy.

This is pretty much exactly where I left things off with our conversation. Our buddy is no pansy and knows the value of various perspectives. I highly doubt he'd consider it an affront to himself. But, like @noobJohn said, I can fully understand feeling like you're "cheating on your wife" to go elsewhere.

+1 on the FR/Checkout with the closer place and keeping the options open.

this is the equivalent of "which flavor ice cream should I have? on one hand I like chocolate, but I also like mint chocolate chip. <feeling confused emoji>". and as much as it also pains me to agree with edfred, he's right. man up. big boy decision time.

and clearly chocolate is the right answer, I mean sheeit, c'mon.

Its usually easier to get a BFR with your initial instructor. He knows you. A new instructor can teach you things he wont so if the new guy is good, it might be worth it. Should work either way.

I think this is a little bit harsh. This came from a simple conversation. The choice is obviously his and I posted here for simple discussion purposes and opinions. It's no different than a "what plane should I buy" thread - the choice is always ultimately one person's.

That being said...

This is pretty much exactly where I left things off with our conversation. Our buddy is no pansy and knows the value of various perspectives. I highly doubt he'd consider it an affront to himself. But, like @noobJohn said, I can fully understand feeling like you're "cheating on your wife" to go elsewhere.

Which are also asinine - and always end up being "you should by the plane I currently own" ****ing contest threads.

I tend to agree with Ed. Seems like a rather simple dilemma that doesn't need to be more complicated than it is. Do what's most convenient and be done.

Might be good to get the BFR from someone else, ya may learn a couple new tricks.

I was speaking to a pilot friend last night who moved about 50 or so miles away a few months ago. He did all of his initial training at the same airport and with the same instructor as I did - and we both consider him a friend. That airport was about 15 minutes away from home, but was still the closest and easiest to get to.

In his new locale, the airport is a Class D located a straight-shot 3 miles from his house. Our "home" airport is now a good 30-40 minutes' drive from him.

His dilemma stems from needing to get his BFR and considering further renting. I told him that convenience-wise, it makes sense to get his BFR at the airport closest to him with a new "unknown" instructor and have it double as a checkout ride for the planes there. Especially considering it's 3 miles away and will essentially be his new home base. Most pilots would kill to have their home drome be so conveniently close. However, he really enjoys going up with our friend at the "home" field and the planes/maintenance/care habits, etc. of the flight school he runs are a known quantity. Plus, he doesn't want to upset our buddy. I can fully understand that.

What say you all? Go with the known or with what's most convenient?

two schools of thought...on the one hand his buddy is a known quantity but the unknown instructor may challenge him in ways his buddy may not. convenience of the closer airport wouldn't figure into my decision.

Which are also asinine - and always end up being "you should by the plane I currently own" ****ing contest threads.
What is your opinion on people who post replies to threads they have no interest in and consider to be irrelevant questions?

What is your opinion on people who post replies to threads they have no interest in and consider to be irrelevant questions?

I invite you to peruse my ignore list. :D

Tell your friend he's an adult and can make his own decisions.

When did every little choice have to become a m-f committee decision?

It's the modern way, especially for the younger crowd. They love crowdsourcing both for seeking advice but particularly for giving it to others. Heck, a large percentage of threads on POA seem to be of that nature.

Back