Instructor Renewal Or Reinstatement

over50

Pre-Flight
Display Name

Display name:
over50
Anybody on this forum notice the following in the proposed "Airmen Certification Standards for Flight Instructors." The FAA is looking for comment on them right now, so be sure to give them your opinion. Unless I'm reading this wrong, it appears that a CFI renewal will require a practical test if the new ACS is approved. Here's the link:

http://www.regulations.gov/#!documentDetail;D=FAA-2013-0316-0308

APPENDIX 4: INSTRUCTOR RENEWAL OR REINSTATEMENT
[FONT=Arial,Arial][FONT=Arial,Arial]
An instructor may renew an unexpired, or reinstate an expired, flight instructor certificate by passing the practical test for any of the valid or expired flight instructor ratings held by the instructor-applicant.
The instructor-applicant who seeks renewal or reinstatement does not have to take a knowledge test. However, he or she will be evaluated on the practical application of the Fundamentals if Instructing (FOI) Tasks in the Authorized Instructor ACS and the risk management elements for each Task in the appropriate pilot ACS document(s). The instructor-applicant is not required to test in a complex airplane if using an airplane to renew or reinstate the flight instructor certificate.
Renewing or reinstating any of the flight instructor ratings on a valid or expired flight instructor certificate will renew or reinstate all flight instructor ratings on that certificate.
On the practical test, the evaluator will assess the instructor-applicant on the Tasks listed (in each of the Areas of Operation of the appropriate ACS) in the applicable Table in this Appendix.
[/FONT]
[/FONT]
NOTE:
[FONT=Arial,Arial][FONT=Arial,Arial]The Renewal or Reinstatement of one rating on a Flight Instructor Certificate renews or reinstates all privileges existing on the certificate. (14 CFR part 61, section 61.197 and section 61.199) [/FONT][/FONT]
[FONT=Arial,Arial][FONT=Arial,Arial]

Also, several other documents open for comment concerning the new Airmen Certification Standards at this link:
[/FONT]
[/FONT]

[FONT=Arial,Arial][FONT=Arial,Arial]http://www.regulations.gov/#!docketDetail;D=FAA-2013-0316[/FONT][/FONT]

Ummm.... Not cool man.

That is one checkride I never want to retake. I don't need anymore failures, besides my one CFI, to be on my airline application.

This is part of a rewrite of the Practical Test Standards, not an NPRM changing Part 61. The issues discussed would only apply if the CFI is renewing via a practical test, not one of the other renewal methods (FIRC, activity, etc).

That's good, if I had to redo my practical vs a FIRC or activity that would be dumb as all hell and not very good for GA

With my full time flying job I like to carry 2 or so PPL students at any given time, I probably take 6 - 8 guys from zero to PPL per year, I know quite a few other guys who do the same thing.

I have a check ride every 6mo and 12mo, I really have zero desire to add a third and non of the guys I know would probably bother renewing if that was the case.

So just from the people I know that like 12-18 less pilots comming into the scene per year, most of these folks wouldn't go seeking out other CFIs.

Look at similar numbers across the nation, yeah it would hurt GA.

Makes it harder to be a instructor and make new pilots, that's the heart of GA.

Ron is right. No NPRM, no possible regulatory change in the short-term. But I seem to remember back in 2010, the FAA was considering making changes to the CFI renewal process and actually announced a public meeting for industry input. An internet search produced the following:

http://bruceair.wordpress.com/2010/12/01/faa-considering-changes-to-cfi-renewal-process/

http://www.gpo.gov/fdsys/pkg/FR-2010-11-29/html/2010-29921.htm

The idea of changing 61.197 must have not gone over too well because nothing changed. Maybe the FIRC content changed, but that was about it.

Anyway, not trying to incite a riot or anything, just reading between the lines a little too much. The conversion of the PTS to the new and maybe improved ACS has got me a little paranoid I guess.

I didn't see any change fom how things are today. You've always been able to renew with a checkride, which is probably done by .000001% of the instructor population. Reinstatement of an expired cert required a checkride for an existing or for an additional rating.

Anybody on this forum notice the following in the proposed "Airmen Certification Standards for Flight Instructors." The FAA is looking for comment on them right now, so be sure to give them your opinion. Unless I'm reading this wrong, it appears that a CFI renewal will require a practical test if the new ACS is approved.
Unless they have recently change the definition of the word "may" (as in "An instructor may renew..."), you're reading it wrong ;)

As justified as it might be, paranoia over what the FAA may do does not aid reading comprehension. :D

Back