Installing used JPI830

imwithtuxedo

Pre-takeoff checklist
Display Name

Display name:
J
Any hiccups I should be aware of (STC permission, etc) in installing a used JPI830 in a Comanche that was previously installed in a Comanche?

JPI 830 is not a primary instrument and will require a 337.

It's not on the TCDS so it's not a minor mod. You need a W&B change, a change on the equipment list, a pilots manual and a continued airworthiness list on the 337.

Any hiccups I should be aware of (STC permission, etc)
I believe the older 800s have the STC permissions in the install manual so using their instructions is no problem. As mentioned above whether a major or minor alteration will be up to your mechanic.
t's not on the TCDS so it's not a minor mod.
FYI: the TCDS doesn't determine whether a major or minor alteration. The Part 43 installer makes that determination. So whether a 337 is needed depends on that installer. But you definitely need the W&B calc, EL update, and ICAs.

If the plane came to me for an annual and I caught it I would not sign the plane off. The installer does not make the determination. Major and minor are determined by the TCDS and/or the part itself. Call the FSDO and get the information.

If the plane came to me for an annual and I caught it I would not sign the plane off. The installer does not make the determination. Major and minor are determined by the TCDS and/or the part itself.
And thats your prerogative since its your certificate. Unfortunately, you may have a problem finding a regulation that would back that opinion up. But that would be between you and your customer. For me and my certificate and other APIAs there's been no issue making that determination based only on Part 43.

It's not on the TCDS so it's not a minor mod. You need a W&B change, a change on the equipment list, a pilots manual and a continued airworthiness list on the 337.
That's not the definition of a major mod. Just because the empty weight changes doesn't make it one either.

If the plane came to me for an annual and I caught it I would not sign the plane off. The installer does not make the determination. Major and minor are determined by the TCDS and/or the part itself. Call the FSDO and get the information.

No, a major alteration is determined by far43 appendix A. Installing an appliance such as a gauge may or may not be a major alteration under appendix A a(1)(iii) depending on what is done to install it.

Back