Installing LED cockpit lighting legal?

rookie1255

Pre-takeoff checklist
Display Name

Display name:
rookie1255
These LED strips are $10.
https://www.ledsupply.com/led-strips/waterproof-12v-led-strip

Would an STC be needed to install them under the glare shield? Ideally tying into the electrical system would be nice but if that would require paperwork then running them from an external battery would be acceptable.

Plane would be leased back to a flight school so it really needs to be kept legal. (Although all planes should be kept legal by everyone, right?)

I love my under glare shield lights.

You’ll hear “experts” come on here behind a pseudo-name tell you the answer. In my opinion the best answer to this question resides with the IA that signs off your annuals.

Good luck with your lighting upgrade.

I love my under glare shield lights.

You’ll hear “experts” come on here behind a pseudo-name tell you the answer. In my opinion the best answer to this question resides with the IA that signs off your annuals.

Good luck with your lighting upgrade.
I can't answer the legality question on a certificated airplane, but I have just such an LED strip under the glare shield of my RV-9A, on a dimmer. Really useful.

I asked my IA about this earlier. He said that if it is hardwired to the aircraft electrical system, it has to be done by A&P and signed off in the log book. You can tape it on and run off a battery or plug into the cigarette lighter outlet without any paperwork.

Would an STC be needed to install them under the glare shield?
If you don't plan to sell the installation then probably no on the STC. Same goes for how you want to install them. If you keep it as "loose equipment" and don't hard-mount to the aircraft or electrical system the install/use falls to the owner and by extension to the operator, i.e., the flight school. However, as mentioned above, if you prefer to hard-mount and have it hard-wired to the electrical system then it will need to be performed by an A&P. And, as mentioned also, if your mechanic is not the the IA that signs your annual you could run it by the IA if going the minor alteration route to get their input as a courtesy. But in my experience, if the work is done properly and signed by an A&P, most IAs wouldn't have an issue with the alteration. The only issue that may arise is that some aircraft have certification limitations/requirements on cockpit lighting intensity for night flights.

Last edited:
If you don't plan to sell the installation then probably no on the STC. Same goes for how you want to install them. If you keep it as "loose equipment" and don't hard-mount to the aircraft or electrical system the install/use falls to the owner and by extension to the operator, i.e., the flight school. However, as mentioned above, if you prefer to hard-mount and have it hard-wired to the electrical system then it will need to be performed by an A&P. And, as mentioned also, if your mechanic is not the the IA that signs your annual you could run it by the IA if going the minor alteration route to get their input as a courtesy. But in my experience, if the work is done properly and signed by an A&P, most IAs wouldn't have an issue with the alteration. The only issue that may arise is that some aircraft have certification limitations/requirements on cockpit lighting intensity for night flights.

Yep. I installed a set in an old Cherokee. Installed into the plastic trim panel if I recall, with a hole at each LED location. I considered it a minor mod.

I have been looking at these for a dark part of my panel (exp, so not quite the legality concerns). That's a pretty good supplier.
I have been very concerned that they will be too bright.
I fly in areas with zero ground lights and the slightest excess of panel lighting obliterates a faint horizon, or stars - which are useful things to monitor so I'd love to hear what people say about these at maximal dimming - are they still crazy bright in very dark conditions?
I see they come in AC or DC each with different dimmers for each - I have 24v so this particular selection won't work, I also have a 120v supply going to some Nulites and wonder if there is one with my need for very very dim which that will fit that.

Back