Installing a Glass Cockpit

Jay Honeck

Touchdown! Greaser!
Display Name

Display name:
Jay Honeck
As many of you know, we purchased an already-flying Van's RV-8A last summer. She's been a great plane, but she was cursed with what I call a "drunk monkey" panel. In other words, it looked like a drunk monkey hurled parts at the panel, and wherever they stuck, they were installed.

Not that it was all bad. The Garmin GNC-300XL was a fine, if old tech GPS/Com, and the TruTrack autopilot simply can't be beat. When the time came to upgrade the panel, I decided to retain those two instruments -- and not much else.

Here's the panel we started with:
1920289_647060251996539_1941486632_n.jpg

Note the low-hanging panel extension on the left side (for the carb and cabin heat controls) as well as the transponder on the right hanging down like an old 8-track player in a '74 Pinto. Both of those items were responsible for multiple cuts and bruises to my knees, and had to go!

Step 1 -- Which glass?
One of the reasons we jumped to Experimental was the cost to upgrade our Cherokee 235 Pathfinder with modern avionics was cost prohibitive. In fact, the estimates I received exceeded the value of the plane, which made upgrading absurd.

With E-AB aircraft, we had several options to choose from. These were:

- Garmin
- Dynon
- Grand Rapids Technologies (GRT)
- Advanced

All of these were fine products, with approximately equivalent capabilities. Garmin had the gravitas of being, well, Garmin (but at a significantly higher price tag). Dynon is the industry leader in RV avionics. Advanced I knew very little about (and still don't know much about them).

And then there was GRT. All of my engine instrumentation was GRT brand stuff, connected to the (truly awful) GRT EIS 4000 in the top dead center of our panel. This instrument was NOT a selling point, for me -- in fact, it's a laughably bad instrument for the depiction of engine information -- but their Horizon line of EFIS had a fine reputation, and linked seamlessly to the EIS 4000, eliminating the need for it in the panel.

After some research, I decided to go with the GRT Horizon HXr 10.5" screen. This decision meant that we did not have to do any work from the firewall forward -- everything connected from the EIS to the EFIS with just a single wire.

Another reason to go with GRT was that their EFIS bluetoothed to any Android tablet, reproducing the information on the EFIS. In a tandem-seat plane like the RV-8A, this meant that we would instantly have a full back-seat EFIS, essentially for free, displayed on our Android Nexus 7 tablet! Sweet.

Step 2 - Decide what you want -- and DON'T want.
The EFIS's available today have the ability to do everything, from autopilot, to radios, to transponder and ADS-B. I decided that I wanted the radios SEPARATE from the big screen, I wanted to retain the excellent, stand-alone TruTrak autopilot, but that the transponder and ADS-B stuff should be integral to the EFIS. So that's the way we went, adding a PS Engineering PAR-100 com/intercom/entertainment/audio panel, retaining the Garmin GNC-300XL as Com 2, and going with the GRT's built-in transponder and ADS-B in/out.

And size really does matter. I was set on getting the (cheaper) 8" screen, until I made the mistake of sitting in an RV-7 with BOTH sizes on the panel. The 10.5" screen was a tight fit in the -8, but there is simply no comparison. And my 55-year-old eyes appreciate it.

Step 3 - Layout
One of the hardest things about doing a new panel is the layout. In the olden days, you would take cardboard cutouts and move them around on the panel until it looked "right". Nowadays, places like SteinAir (in Minneapolis) offer panel design and layout for free, letting you mix, match, and experiment with ease. Best of all, they know the space requirements of each instrument, and the details of what is behind your aircraft's panel -- so the guesswork is largely removed.

Because my buddy who was going to help me with the install is based in Minnesota, I opted to go with Stein for design, and the purchase of all avionics. This worked out well, and -- after a dozen or more tweaks via email -- we arrived at a beautiful and functional design.

Step 4 - Installation.
Even though I knew it would be difficult, I grossly underestimated the complexity of ripping out an instrument panel and starting over. Thankfully, I recruited expert assistance and advice from my friend who helped me find Amelia in the first place -- a guy with years of experience building RVs. Without him, the installation would have taken five times longer, and not been nearly as good.

Even WITH him, it was ten 10-hour days of hard, non-stop, few-breaks work. It's not a job for the faint of heart.

The end results, however, are stunning. Amelia now sports a 21st-century panel, with synthetic vision, live traffic and weather (ADS-B in and out), all slaved to a world-class autopilot that will fly a synthetic approach (Highway in the Sky) to any runway in North America -- even grass strips.

I no longer have an unreliable vacuum system to worry about -- we pulled the pump and all associated hoses, and put a cap on the engine where the pump once mounted. Everything has been moved up in the panel, so I no longer bloody my knees every time we fly. Best of all, I ended up with a panel that offers more capability than the ones we looked at adding to our Cherokee -- for about 1/5th the price.

Here are a bunch of pix from the installation. It was quite an ordeal, but well worth it in the end!

Here's a view inside the luggage compartment -- which provides access to the back of the panel. Much of what we did was done through the access panels.
1656342_642214229147808_1016247463_n.jpg

The old panel and vacuum system OUT:
1656098_642597402442824_1727570894_n.jpg

You know you're in deep water when your panel looks like this:
1656083_642599279109303_1553866778_n.jpg

First fitting of the big screen. One big advantage to such a big screen is that you can do most of the panel work THROUGH that big hole!
1459667_642709705764927_1046725077_n.jpg

This was my view for ten days.
1912002_643099249059306_627698168_n.jpg

"Wings" made, everything ready for assembly.
1902973_643123639056867_2092026252_n.jpg

Lots and lots of bench work, metal work, etc.
1911606_643351962367368_836344857_n.jpg

The days dragged on, and on...
1798676_644214152281149_1889031930_n.jpg

Keeping long wire harnesses straight was a 2-man job. This goes to the magnetometer in the tail.
1622074_644429332259631_596413035_n.jpg

Tom is a bit smaller than me, so he drew the short straw and had to shinny into the tailcone of an RV-8A! There is NO room in there!
1743528_644467865589111_1972514761_n.jpg

It's not just panel and tail work. Three new antennas had to be installed on the belly, and two new GPS antennas on the panel.
1779713_645494422153122_26560815_n.jpg

Stein's blueprints were very good.
1966670_645987585437139_593117120_n.jpg

Gotta paint everything...
988395_646011625434735_232877525_n.jpg

Let final reassembly of the painted parts commence!
10107_646096852092879_1078509512_n.jpg

Starting to look like a panel!
1904268_646417022060862_215360950_n.jpg

Once it's all working, you've got a day of configuring everything. It's basically a big computer.
1922405_646864882016076_1896511634_n.jpg

End results: Mary flying the Synthetic Approach to RWY 12 at Mustang Beach Airport (KRAS), our home 'drome.
10259948_670263043009593_7208451228941924054_n.jpg

Here's a pic of the GRT Horizon screen showing ADS-B weather (in the right inset screen), and the matching view out the windscreen. Run away! :lol:

1375973_664186776950553_2137988257440740794_n.jpg

EDIT: Almost forgot -- did you wonder where the EIS-4000 ended up being mounted? You can't remove it, because it acts as a "compiler" of engine data that is then fed to the EFIS -- but where to put it? (Lots of guys mount it under/behind the panel, out of sight forever.)

How about in the luggage compartment? If we're working on the engine, we can read the data (from its rudimentary screen), and get SOME use out of it! :lol:
10170834_660050790697485_1180078011_n.jpg

Questions? Shoot away!

Last edited:
Now with a screen that big..... What's the in flight movie?

Looks good Jay. We love our two GRT HX's. I painted my panel flat black. You may want to install a sheet metal guard over the EIS 4000 using velcro. With a few accidental button pushes from shifting baggage, your fuel qty or engine limit settings can be changed. Have fun!

Very, very nice write up Jay, and a great looking panel.

The -8 is easier to work on than I expected. I'm looking forward to a panel change also in a few years for ADSB stuff.

Jay

Looks nice.
Speaking as one who has had an EFIS roll inverted just 50 feet AGL on a zero zero takeoff, I would want for a backup AI of some sort before taking it into IMC. Of course these newer units are likely much more reliable and you have a separate autopilot to fall back on but still, be careful.
It is exciting to see what is available these days for us experimental guys.

Jay

Looks nice.
Speaking as one who has had an EFIS roll inverted just 50 feet AGL on a zero zero takeoff, I would want for a backup AI of some sort before taking it into IMC. Of course these newer units are likely much more reliable and you have a separate autopilot to fall back on but still, be careful.
It is exciting to see what is available these days for us experimental guys.

No worries -- I don't take off in zero-zero conditions! :D

Very, very nice write up Jay, and a great looking panel.

The -8 is easier to work on than I expected. I'm looking forward to a panel change also in a few years
enuqagar.jpg
for ADSB stuff.

One recent addition that is really, really, REALLY nice, that I just installed in our -8A, is a dual high-output USB charging port. This sucker is specifically made (one at a time, by a guy off the Van's group) to put out enough juice to keep your tablet charged under full-brightness usage -- and it works like a charm. After all, what good is having a free backseat EFIS on my Nexus 7 if the battery is dead?

Here's a fuzzy pic:

yvuzavur.jpg

Very nice Jay. As a GRT HX user, the big screen HXr is to salivate over!

What is the Transponder and ADS-B solution you installed? I don't think GRT had an in/out ADS-B box/function (just checked the site). But they do support a number of external boxes.

I did my own panel and loved doing it, but tearing out an old one and putting a new one into an existing plane - and within the confines of an '8. Well, like you said, not for the faint of heart. But more than worth it!

FYI - I'm running (3) HXs, the EIS out of sight, TT AP, G430W for WAAS smarts, an SL30, a GTX327, and the Navworx ADS-B in/out.

Welcome back and welcome into the GRT fold.

Very nice Jay. As a GRT HX user, the big screen HXr is to salivate over!

What is the Transponder and ADS-B solution you installed? I don't think GRT had an in/out ADS-B box/function (just checked the site). But they do support a number of external boxes.

I did my own panel and loved doing it, but tearing out an old one and putting a new one into an existing plane - and within the confines of an '8. Well, like you said, not for the faint of heart. But more than worth it!

FYI - I'm running (3) HXs, the EIS out of sight, TT AP, G430W for WAAS smarts, an SL30, a GTX327, and the Navworx ADS-B in/out.

Welcome back and welcome into the GRT fold.

We went with the SkyRadar ADS-B box. It connects to the Horizon HXr with a single USB cord. The transponder is a Trig TT--22 Mode S remote transponder.

It's been a terrific combination with the Horizon, slaved to the TruTrak. It's everything I wanted, and more, making for much lower workload, safer flights.

We went with the SkyRadar ADS-B box. It connects to the Horizon HXr with a single USB cord. The transponder is a Trig TT--22 Mode S remote transponder.

It's been a terrific combination with the Horizon, slaved to the TruTrak. It's everything I wanted, and more, making for much lower workload, safer flights.
That looks like the most cost effective ADS-B 2020 compliant solution for sure. Nicely done!

So with an RV8 equipped with a HXr/TT setup you pretty much have the best of both worlds; Yank and Bank to your heart's content, then dial in a destination, hit the button, and sit back while enjoying the view. Oh yeah

That looks like the most cost effective ADS-B 2020 compliant solution for sure. Nicely done!

So with an RV8 equipped with a HXr/TT setup you pretty much have the best of both worlds; Yank and Bank to your heart's content, then dial in a destination, hit the button, and sit back while enjoying the view. Oh yeah

With this panel, I've flown two hour flights where I literally touched the stick for less than five minutes -- four of them to land, one to take off.

I almost feel guilty for logging the time.
:)

Then, when my butt falls asleep, I do a big ol' barrel roll, just to get the blood flowing again. lol!

Yep, it's a great set up.

Looking forward to the rule changes to let me do this in my Cherokee.

I sold Atlas because (a) I no longer had a need to carry four 200-pound people, and (b) I realized that I would never be able to install any of the modern safety advantages of 21st century avionics.

The last quote I received from an avionics shop to add Aspen panels to the Pathfinder, with a modern S-Tec autopilot, was $55,000. That made NO sense at all. (I sold Atlas for that much!)

To add anything like what we installed in the -8A (a 10.5" EFIS screen) was exponentially higher. It's just criminal what certified avionics installations cost.

IMHO, this should be addressed by AOPA as a safety issue. Pilots are being placed at risk by the FAA, which has made it so onerous to install modern technology. Synthetic vision alone is an amazing, game-changing technology that could easily save my life someday -- and thousands of guys like you are being priced out of the market. Ironically, this is being done in the name of safety.

"Drunk Monkey" ! I like that and yes I've noticed the same trend. Many are built by VFR pilots that have no clue what a standardized six pack means. Same way with a lot of the Rutan airplanes too.

"Drunk Monkey" ! I like that and yes I've noticed the same trend. Many are built by VFR pilots that have no clue what a standardized six pack means. Same way with a lot of the Rutan airplanes too.

Did you notice that what Jay didn't like included a standard six pack? It looked like a reasonable panel for IFR work...at least the big pieces.

Did you notice that what Jay didn't like included a standard six pack? It looked like a reasonable panel for IFR work...at least the big pieces.

The six pack wasn't bad -- but everything else was TERRIBLE. The switches were illogically laid out, half of them didn't do anything worthwhile, and the stuff hanging down under the panel was just cheesy as could be (not to mention painful!).

Gaining 3" of knee-room has been fabulous, and flying with synthetic vision on a big screen is something you simply have to experience to appreciate.

We are very, very happy with the new panel!

Back